The sham that is biblia.com

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 44 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 151
malqo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 11:52 AM

In retrospect I think my post was expressed too forcefully. I could have raised the same issues without resorting to the word "sham" which I now regret. A more suitable word would have been "disappointment". Please forgive my failing in this regard. My love for Logos boiled over into frustration.

Luoar

Posts 8967
Forum MVP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 11:59 AM

Dan Francis:
Wordsearch and Accordance function on Linux using WINE, for clarification

Thank you for that information. I did not know.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 23548
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 12:31 PM

luoar:
My love for Logos boiled over into frustration.

This is very easy to understand. You certainly are not alone in this.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1228
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 5:09 PM

Nicholas van Oudtshoorn:
Silly phone auto corrected!

Man, I hate it when that happens. I make enough honest typos on my own.

Win7/10 |Andr 4.4.2 | Converting Ebooks

Posts 1557
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 9:29 PM

luoar:
A more suitable word would have been "disappointment".

I am sorry I just got to this thread... For what it's worth, improving Biblia and online access to our tools is high on our priority list. Many subtle improvements have already happened at Biblia.com, but many are behind the scenes. These are necessary in order to do more work at the interface level.

The big issue with highlighting, as someone pointed out, is that we long-ago committed to very rich highlighting styles which can't easily be shown in HTML without, essentially, writing your own web-based text layout/markup-rendering engine. Which we're working on.

We could possibly just show all your markup as color highlights, and let you take only color highlight notes there, but that's special work just to deliver limited functionality. We're not sure which system will be best.

Biblia.com does help us find new users, and it's a convenient way to look up something quickly on a machine without the desktop software, but we know it's not yet a substitute for the power of the desktop software. Eventually I hope it will get there, but it'l be a lot of work -- which we're already started on.

-- Bob

Posts 3458
Disciple of Christ (doc) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 10:00 PM

Bob Pritchett:

Biblia.com does help us find new users, and it's a convenient way to look up something quickly on a machine without the desktop software, but we know it's not yet a substitute for the power of the desktop software. Eventually I hope it will get there, but it'l be a lot of work -- which we're already started on.

-- Bob

I hope biblia.com, bible.faithlife.com and any other such future sites are not seen as a replacement for desktop software.  Nice to have an online alternative but a completely cloud based solution with no desktop software is not an acceptable scenario. (ps before the anyone jumps on me,  I know Bob has not said this is going to happen (at least in this thread), I'm simply stating I do not want this to happen because he has not ruled it out either in this thread.)

Posts 113
Nicholas van Oudtshoorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 10:13 PM

Bob Pritchett:
...it's not yet a substitute for the power of the desktop software. Eventually I hope it will get there, but it'l be a lot of work -- which we're already started on.

This is fantastic news! For those of us not running windows or mac systems, biblia/bible.faithlife.com are a lifeline in to our resources. Note: I would *love* to see logos' desktop app run on linux, but I know that it's not available. I'm not complaining about the lack of linux software - I'm thankful that logos has at least got *something* to offer to us! The fact that I hear that that something is going to get better and better is fantastic news!

Any chance for a roadmap of what features are being worked on, apart from highlighting/notes?

Also, a question regarding the difference between biblia and bible.faithlife.com ... do they share a common base? That is, are the differences between the two limited to the basic layout? (I must say, I far prefer the bible.faithlife.com layout!)

Again *thank you* for the news that the web tools are being improved!! Big Smile

Posts 9
Mark Culton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 27 2014 8:14 PM

Thank you so much for your reply Bob. It is encouraging to hear Logos is working on improving Biblia. I also appreciate your gracious tone. Looking forward to this whenever it is able to be implemented. God bless!

Posts 587
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 28 2014 4:08 AM

Bob,

Thanks for that update.  I'm really pleased to hear you're working on biblia.com.  I'm new to Logos 5 and just getting to grips with what I can do on my main machine (which has Logos installed) and what I can do whilst travelling or on machines without Logos.

I am looking forward to a more feature-rich biblia and am grateful that you have provided clarification on why highlighting is difficult.

Angela

Posts 8
Dennis Toll | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 18 2014 5:41 PM

Thanks for the update. I hope having access to the morphological data and having hebrew/greek words link to lexical resources is also a priority. If that happens, my chromebook experiance will be complete. (I'm not counting on the Logos android ap to work in Chromebook anytime soon)

Posts 8
Dennis Toll | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 18 2014 5:46 PM

Just curious, why would this be a bad thing? In the long view, I think thin client will become normal. 

Disciple of Christ (doc):

I hope biblia.com, bible.faithlife.com and any other such future sites are not seen as a replacement for desktop software.  Nice to have an online alternative but a completely cloud based solution with no desktop software is not an acceptable scenario. (ps before the anyone jumps on me,  I know Bob has not said this is going to happen (at least in this thread), I'm simply stating I do not want this to happen because he has not ruled it out either in this thread.)

Posts 66
Paul Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 18 2014 7:56 PM

Is there any way to get rid of the ads on Biblia.com? I spent a lot on my Logos software and resources already and I do not need to see these ads. When I read my bible I do not want to be distracted by commercials.

Posts 3652
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 18 2014 8:38 PM

Dennis Toll:

Just curious, why would this be a bad thing? In the long view, I think thin client will become normal. 

Disciple of Christ (doc):

missionaries in closed countries is the first thing that comes to mind. Secondly people on tenuous dial up connections, thirdly if I'm honest I do better work offline as there are less things to be distracted by (logos forums, Facebook, you get the idea). There are other reasons as well that I'm sure others will bring up.

For the person with the ad issue, I run Adblock plus extension in firefox. No ads anywhere :)

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum (etc),  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Silver

Posts 3
Clint Rasberry | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 20 2015 5:39 PM

Logos has heard your "sham" cry and has responded one year later with the beta version of Logos on the web! Your c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶a̶i̶n̶t̶  prayer has been heard you can be satisfied that a final version should be coming!

Posts 4267
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 20 2015 7:25 PM

Hopefully it will drain down to Biblia.com since it is currently only a subscription only web app for now.

-dan

Posts 1
Michael Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 4 2015 10:32 AM

In the top left-hand corner, you will see just above "Biblia.com" the word beta, which indicates the software is still in the development stage so there will be some things which aren't to everyone's liking.

Posts 626
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 4 2015 11:59 AM

Michael Parker:

In the top left-hand corner, you will see just above "Biblia.com" the word beta, which indicates the software is still in the development stage so there will be some things which aren't to everyone's liking.

Welcome to the forums Michael! I believe the frustration for the users of biblia.com stem from it being in "beta" for over 5 years now. Through those years Faithlife has said highlighting is coming, reading plans, and improvements to the experience. Now that those who use biblia are seeing and hearing some of these features being implemented in a web app accessible via paid subscription alone, they may feel a little mislead.

I rarely if ever use biblia personally, but can understand the frustration.

Posts 1
Tony Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 9:21 PM

Is the chrome book able to use the logos android app?  The phone and tablet app is a lot better and seems to have much more functionality. Not sure why the website cannot be just as good.

Posts 8432
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2015 6:19 AM

Tony:
Is the chrome book able to use the logos android app?

Not yet.  At least I can't get it going on my CR-48.

Posts 3458
Disciple of Christ (doc) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2015 5:02 PM

Frank Sauer:

Michael Parker:

Welcome to the forums Michael! I believe the frustration for the users of biblia.com stem from it being in "beta" for over 5 years now. Through those years Faithlife has said highlighting is coming, reading plans, and improvements to the experience. Now that those who use biblia are seeing and hearing some of these features being implemented in a web app accessible via paid subscription alone, they may feel a little mislead.

I rarely if ever use biblia personally, but can understand the frustration.

I can understand the frustration too...biblia was supposed to the be ants pants and now appears to be nothing more than an advertising vehicle for the company to try and drive people to the web site.  The web app is way behind where it should be considering Logos is charging people to access it and so those who are paying for it and for the most part are getting much less than a free smart phone app with the only advantage of it being full screen app rather than mobile sized screen.

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.