The Bible is God breathed

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3
Dan Brandt | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 2 2014 7:45 AM

As I read the overview of the New and Old testaments, it strikes me that more credit is given to the humans that wrote each book rather than God. What I mean is, who wrote a book, their motivation and other sources they relied on, should tell us more about God and that should be the focus of the information rather than about the person. Yet the emphasis seems to be on the human. I love to read about the times,customs etc. of when the Bible was written and the context helps. But ultimately, shouldn't it be about God and why he choose this person and what is he trying to reveal about him self through this particular person?

e.g.The study of which synoptic gospel was written first is an academic study that may be interesting to academics but to the lay person, I am more interested in why God had them placed in the order they are and what that means to me. The structure of any book is God's structure not the individuals.

To see proof of the Bible's truth from other resources is indeed a wonderful thing. However, it was God who insured such resources exist. Why did He and why did he pick the people he did to produce these resources.

What am I missing?

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 2 2014 8:09 AM

Dan Brandt:

As I read the overview of the New and Old testaments, it strikes me that more credit is given to the humans that wrote each book rather than God...

What am I missing?

It seems you are commenting on some resource either produced by Logos, or included in your library.

The forums exist to help us use the Logos program. To discuss theological matters we're encourged to go to ChristianDiscourse.com. The discussion you may be interested in having is over various theories of inspiration, which will address the issues you raise (e.g., to what degree does the personality of the human authors, as inspired by the Spirit, shape the text). The theories range from simple dictation, to something simply humanistic.

There is an article in the Hollman Illustrated Bible Dictionary that discusses this. If you own that resource find it under "Inspiration of Scripture." There is also a more extensive article in the Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible (under "Bible, Inspiration of the"). Alternatively, run a Topic Guide on "Inspiration of the Bible" to find the resources you have that discuss this. Depending on the size of your library and its content, you may find yourself pursuing avenues of understanding you had not yet considered.

Once again, I'm happy to point you to Logos resources that may help you in your study. However, if you want to discuss this topic, I would encourage you to do that at the ChristianDiscourse website.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 89
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 2 2014 12:10 PM

an amazing book on how we got the New Testament from a believing and historical perspective is Canon Revisited, by Michael J Kruger.  Critiques other canon models and provides one that integrates three aspects of canonicity - divine nature, apostolicity, and recognized by the churches.   Highly recommend.

Posts 3
Dan Brandt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 2 2014 5:09 PM

Will do. My first post. My apologizes.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS