Well, there goes WBC (new volumes) for now.

Page 1 of 4 (63 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 62 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2780
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 13 2014 6:26 PM

Just received an email stating that the new volumes of WBC are being removed.

• Word Biblical Commentary, vol. 32: Micah–Malachi (Revised)
  • Word Biblical Commentary, vol. 37a: Acts 1–14
  • Word Biblical Commentary, Volume 18a: Job 21–37

Not sure if there are any more volumes gone.

Sad

Posts 2173
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 13 2014 6:38 PM

Well, I still have two of them in dead tree version. So good for now.  

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 13 2014 6:43 PM

Job 38-42 (Word Biblical Commentary 18B)

is the missing volume and it has been out since 2011.

-Dan

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 13 2014 6:50 PM

Bummer...Sad

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 13 2014 6:56 PM

Here's the notice I received. Mentions some rights issues. This is indeed strange as Logos has been carrying the WBC for years. The Acts one is the only one I was interested in.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1085
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 13 2014 6:58 PM

If they're out in the dead tree format, what could Logos mean by, "The books are yet to be completed"? Surely if they're printed, someone has them as electronic copies. Does that mean that Logos hadn't done their part yet in tagging?

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 13 2014 7:09 PM

WORD
BIBLICAL
COMMENTARY
VOLUME 18A
Job 21–37
DAVID J. A. CLINES

General Editors
Bruce M. Metzger
David A. Hubbard
Glenn W. Barker
Old Testament Editor
John D. W. Watts
New Testament Editor
Ralph P. Martin
Associate Editors
James W. Watts, Old Testament
Lynn Allan Losie, New Testament

To my daughter
Miriam

עֹז־וְהָדָר לְבוּשָׁהּ וַתִּשְׂחַק לְיֹום אַחֲרֹון

Strength and dignity are her clothing,
and she laughs at the days to come (Prov 31:25).

David J. A. Clines, Job 21–37, vol. 18a, Word Biblical Commentary (Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 2006), iii–iv.

Email is wrong.

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 13 2014 7:17 PM

Perhaps yet to be completed means not yet completed in Logos format.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 5318
Posts 2771
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 13 2014 7:53 PM

Is Acts still not out in bound book? 

I find this rug pull out distressing. Work in business should bow the knee to the Creator, not the rights of commerce which wouldn't exist at all without the blessing of the Creator.

Wouldn't business be so much better if they learned to simply make money rather than churn around how much money they could make?

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2780
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 13 2014 8:55 PM

The way I understand the email is that each of the WBC titles on pre-pub has been removed (due to a licensing issue). Not sure if this is going to affect the current offerings, but I suspect that all new volumes from the publisher will not be offered by Logos (for the time being). The work that Logos have already completed on the pre-pub volumes is probably on hold.

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 13 2014 9:02 PM

Nope Acts is not released volume 1 or 2...

-Dan

Posts 525
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 13 2014 9:55 PM

This is worrisome. When you start building a library you have your eyes on certain books, saving up to get a decent library. I went the route of Logos the last few years, getting electronic books. I chose Logos because it, at that time, offered most of the resources I plan to get in the future. Suddenly WBC's Acts is no longer available (even before it was available).
I wonder what exactly is the "licensing issue" and why it is a issue now?

Makes me wonder if it will remain worth it to pursue an electronic library. Printed books do not have this hassle (although electronic books have some great advantages). Just wondering.

Posts 6
O T Morgan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 14 2014 1:58 AM

It's especially disappointing that the final volume of Clines on Job is not going to be available. Is this a case where Logos is trying too hard to negotiate a cheap price from the publishers and forgetting the needs of their users? Perhaps Logos will comment in more detail about their licensing problems. If this is a foretaste of what might happen with other publishers it could be very concerning for people switching to an electronic library.   

Posts 33766
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 14 2014 2:09 AM

Owen Morgan:
Is this a case where Logos is trying too hard to negotiate a cheap price from the publishers and forgetting the needs of their users?

There is no reason to assume that.

Owen Morgan:
Perhaps Logos will comment in more detail about their licensing problems.

In most cases this would be a breach of good-faith negotiations. The most common reasons for problems is a change in copyright ownership or the discovery that the party you are negotiating with has more limited rights than they realized or health problems/family problems that take one party to the negotiations temporarily out of the loop.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 674
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 14 2014 2:57 AM

Very disappointing. It's one of the worries about investing in Logos - what if a few big publishers pull all their stuff?

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 14 2014 3:00 AM

My WBC is still showing as Under Contract and I have not received an email to inform me one way or the other. Could that mean that the "rights issue" affects US only as I am in UK?

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 1084
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 14 2014 3:19 AM

I received the email in the UKl Sad

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 12148
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 14 2014 3:19 AM

Alan Macgregor:

My WBC is still showing as Under Contract and I have not received an email to inform me one way or the other. Could that mean that the "rights issue" affects US only as I am in UK?

Alan, I don't think so. Logos wouldn't produce a commentary resource for international users only. I received the email but when I checked the prePub order was still in my account. It could be their usual bulk process: send out the email in stages and give/remove licences over time (maybe even manually).

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 14 2014 3:42 AM

NB.Mick:

Alan Macgregor:

Alan, I don't think so. Logos wouldn't produce a commentary resource for international users only. I received the email but when I checked the prePub order was still in my account. It could be their usual bulk process: send out the email in stages and give/remove licences over time (maybe even manually).

Sad Crying

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Page 1 of 4 (63 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS