DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 15 2014 3:41 PM

It's downloading now!

DAL

Posts 2521
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 15 2014 3:44 PM

So is mine!!

Posts 778
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 15 2014 5:33 PM

I own the paper first edition, but mine is downloading now.  Thanks for the heads up!

Posts 408
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 15 2014 6:21 PM

Thanks!  I am getting ready for a new order and was just looking for this earlier today!  Yippee!

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 15 2014 6:52 PM

Is this book something new? I got mine early yesterday evening after buying the Zondervan Biblical Languages Collection.

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 15 2014 6:54 PM

No Robert, if you bought the Zondervan Biblical Languages Collection you own this resource already. It's the same resource, Logos just broke the collection up into individual resources.

Posts 2521
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 15 2014 7:00 PM

I'm just excited because I needed this resource and could not afford the Biblical Languages Collection.

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 15 2014 8:12 PM

Ah, ok - thanks Matt. Ronald, because of your excitement I think I'm going to tackle this book first. Looks like a good place to start.

BTW, Zondervan Biblical Languages Video Lectures are coming down the pike. It's a few bucks but 28 hours of lessons. 

Posts 408
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 15 2014 10:47 PM

I originally purchased the entire languages collection and then decided I only needed about $400 of the package.  I returned it and bought the volumes I wanted individually...the only one that wasn't available was this one.  I've already used the hardback for a class and have moved on to more advanced Greek studies, but I'd still like this in Logos.  The current deal is a great value...I almost wish I'd waited. :-)

Posts 636
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 16 2014 2:50 AM

**Dumb Question Warning**

Could someone please help me understand the difference between Greek for the Rest of Us and Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar - both by Mounce?

I don't have a background in Greek, but plan to start learning it in the near future. I've already purchased Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar. Do I need Greek for the Rest of Us too?

Posts 78
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 16 2014 4:50 AM

Doe it have and audio, ie pronounciation, associated with it?

Posts 2521
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 16 2014 5:05 AM

If you Google William Mounce, he has a website that goes into more detail about the resources he offers.  I don't have the Basics of Greek Grammar, but I would like to get it.

Posts 29797
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 16 2014 5:08 AM

Ryan B:
Could someone please help me understand the difference between Greek for the Rest of Us and Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar - both by Mounce?

Greek for the rest of us is an "every mans" guide. If you are like me, I recommend it. Big Smile

Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar is a "Greek 101" textbook.

Both books have been used in academic settings.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 16 2014 5:08 AM

Ryan B:

**Dumb Question Warning**

I don't have a background in Greek, but plan to start learning it in the near future. I've already purchased Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar. Do I need Greek for the Rest of Us too?

If you are truly serious about learning Greek then the answer is no. Greek for the Rest of Us is for those individuals who do not know Greek and in the near future will not be learning Greek. The product may inspire some to actually learn Greek, it does teach you the alphabet, Mounce's particular pronunciation of Greek and some basic grammar and how to use tools, but it is NOT a Greek course.

Posts 408
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 16 2014 9:31 AM

I generally agree that you don't need both if you already have Basics of Biblical Greek.  I however see value in both since I plan on using Greek for the Rest of Us for my children to get some basic understanding of Greek first.  It is a simplified approach and I found that by taking the course that utilized Greek for the Rest of Us first, I was more comfortable with moving on to BGG in a later course.  I see it as a "training wheels" Greek and am grateful to have it.

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 16 2014 10:34 AM

Speaking of training wheels, this book is worth purchasing if you don't have a good understanding of grammar, which most people today do not: https://www.logos.com/product/41549/english-grammar-to-ace-new-testament-greek

IMO this offers much more practical help for anyone truly serious about learning Greek, rather than Greek of the Rest of Us.

Posts 408
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 17 2014 2:22 PM

I second Keith's suggestions and purchased it in both Logos and print.  I write for a living and realized quickly upon studying Greek that much of my grammar knowledge is simply innate from having read a great deal over the years.  It was a very humbling experience for me. :-)

Posts 636
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 18 2014 1:25 AM

Great - Thanks for all the information/advice everyone. I really appreciate it.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS