Logos has overtaken Accordance for good

Page 3 of 8 (154 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 153 Replies | 18 Followers

Posts 24908
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 6:20 AM

Unix:

unlike Logos it's possible to leave the library open all the time if You want to.

I don't understand this.

What's the issue with leaving the Logos library open if you wish to? I do it most of the time

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 6:28 AM

Isn't keeping the library open in Logos equal to clicking the Library-button? If You do something unrelated to that, it closes.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 24908
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 6:49 AM

Unix:

Isn't keeping the library open in Logos equal to clicking the Library-button? If You do something unrelated to that, it closes.

if you right-click on the library button you can open it in a floating window

For other options see https://wiki.logos.com/Library__#Opening_the_Library_window 

Posts 11940
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 11:32 AM

Graham Criddle:

Unix:

For other options see https://wiki.logos.com/Library__#Opening_the_Library_window 

Right click - open in a floating Window is how I open it in >90% of times (I think there was a discussion once to make this the default for left-click, instead of the drop down that vanishes all too soon)

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 11:38 AM

David Medina:
Dan, I think you are comparing apples with oranges. Logos and Accordance Starter packs are not in the same level.

I am well aware of that. I am also not saying Logos starters are not a good value, my point is likely for the majority of Christians Logos Starters are more than they want. I realize Logos is not going after that market but it is a frustrating thing because Logos is good product. I do think of Accordance as a good product too, with a smaller footprint, running quickly, and most of what anyone would want. I just wish in Logos you didn't get confronted with the 5 gallon water jugs, having to hunt to find the personal sized bottles.

-Dan

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 12:39 PM

Graham Criddle:

Missing from the Wiki - and best on the PC, in my opinion - is middle-click to open in a new tab.

Posts 160
David Medina | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 5:13 PM

Unix you are correct in that you can "organize" your tools faster in Accordance because they use the old folder scheme. Yet, it is not as flexible and as powerful as what you can do in Logos with tags and collections. Plus, Accordance Search all, a new fearer under version 10 is not as intelligent as Logos searches or guides. 

And yes Unix, you can leave your Logos Library open too.

There is one area I cannot comment which is on Original Language studies where Accordance may or may not have an edge.

Bottom line to me is that Accordance and Logos offer two distinct approaches to Bible studies with some similar functions but with some very distinct functionality. In my opinions, Accordance is favored by those who like to study the analog way. By that I mean by searching one favorite resource at a a time. It is favored also by users who are not interested in large libraries nor in finding out everything there is about a subject but that know exactly what resources they want to look at. That is why you will see them pointing out this or that specific resources they like.

I think most Logos users are very different to Accordance users. They are more technologically oriented and want the software to do more for them. They want to have as many resources as they are able and have a tool that can search all of them and gives intelligent results that go beyond just "hits". These users find very useful the guides and other features that digest large amount of data for us. 

I, for one, I am glad of the very distinct difference and vision between both software because it gives us tools that will match individual preferences instead of trying to copy each other.

I do think that most of what I read as criticism to Logos comes from not knowing how to get the most of the program. Yes, Logos is more complex than Accordance because it can do more for the user.

Posts 160
David Medina | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 6:23 PM

Unix, right Click over the library icon on the bar and you will see the options (see the image0

Much have been said about the Accordance $50 entry package as a "good deal". I think those who think so are focusing in the "price" instead of what they are really getting.  That "starter package is just a paid trial.  When I bought the Accordance Starter Package I had to upgrade within days because I realize that it was pretty much useless for me as a Bible study tool.

For those who really like Accordance and just want to "get in" into Accordance it may be a good deal. 

Let be honest, to be able to make the most out of either Logos or Accordance you need to invest on resources. Otherwise you will not benefit much from what they can do for us.  They both shine when you have the right resources. 

And Logos is more flexible than Accordance when it comes to payment plans. and Logos has something that Accordance does not have nor have any intention of offering: Dynamic Pricing (Accordance offer something like it only if you buys within a month or so. Lame, in my opinion). This represent substantial savings. 

So there is really no excuse in not been able to get the right software with the right resources.

I just want to make clear that I do like Accordance. I think is a great & powerful tool. Their mobile app is nice and when they add those few missing items it will be great. Specially because its small footprint, speed and not been dependent of wi fi connection. But for my needs, Logos is better suited and if I could go back I would have listened to John and just gotten Logos. I love Logos and if they make the Guides not dependent in the internet I would love it more. :)

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 7:32 PM

David Medina:
Much have been said about the Accordance $50 entry package as a "good deal". I think those who think so are focusing in the "price" instead of what they are really getting.  That "starter package is just a paid trial.  When I bought the Accordance Starter Package I had to upgrade within days because I realize that it was pretty much useless for me as a Bible study tool.

I am not saying it is ideal for most people. But we have so much more  than is actually needed. We need the Bible and guidance from a good dictionary and a couple resources can bear a very productive spiritual life. 

-Dan

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 7:33 PM

David Medina:

I am not saying it is ideal for most people. But we have so much more  than is actually needed. We need the Bible and guidance from a good dictionary and a couple resources can bear a very productive spiritual life. 

-Dan

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 7:33 PM

David Medina:

-Dan

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 10:06 PM

I first bought Starter (version 10) at an Accordance seminar in Gothenburg, Sweden in April 2013. Prior to that I had agreed about the purchase of a used copy of UBS Translator's Handbooks NT set in Accordance for $90 + the license transfer fee $25.
I have added what I need, several of the items I added were not and may never be available in Logos.

Most of the value of I've added are commentaries. The commentaries I have in Accordance now cover the entire Bible, including the Deuterocanon, including 4 Ezra (and 1 Enoch).
I've added several items used in Accordance in a swap where someone wanted Logos items from now.
I've also added Library 8 Standard Level (so it's version 8), which I got pretty cheap from ebay, You can see how it differs  from other version 8 collections at this link: http://www.accordancebible.com/archive/blog/2008/06/library-8-and-scholars-8-now-available.html ... unfortunately it didn't contain NA27 Greek New Testament. If it would have been version 9 it would have contained the NA27 Greek New Testament, which is very cheap to upgrade to NA28.

So Accordance does have quite good dynamic pricing on some items, namely upgrade for for example greek and hebrew to new Editions:

David Medina:
Much have been said about the Accordance $50 entry package as a "good deal". I think those who think so are focusing in the "price" instead of what they are really getting.  That "starter package is just a paid trial.  When I bought the Accordance Starter Package I had to upgrade within days because I realize that it was pretty much useless for me as a Bible study tool.

For those who really like Accordance and just want to "get in" into Accordance it may be a good deal. 

Let be honest, to be able to make the most out of either Logos or Accordance you need to invest on resources. Otherwise you will not benefit much from what they can do for us.  They both shine when you have the right resources.

That's a huge advantage of Accordance:

David Medina:
Specially because its small footprint, speed and not been dependent of wi fi connection.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 160
David Medina | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 15 2014 7:27 AM

I am sorry Unix, but to be clear, Accordance does not have Dynamic pricing. 

They do honor what you paid on a collection packages only. But if you buy one volume of a multi volume Commentary they will not do any kind of dynamic pricing like Logos does unless you buy the set within a month of purchasing the single volume. 

Believe, I have tried and it has been brought up in their forum and they made it clear that it is too complicated for them to do dynamic pricing the way that Logos does.

Accordance does not offer a refund policy either. If you purchase something and then you do not like or it is not what you expected it you cannot return it. 

They also don't have community pricing or pre-pub which save us money.  

They do have special discounts for some types of users which is nice. But I wish they would implement dynamic pricing and refunds. 

And they do have great support. 

They are a small company and that has its benefits as well as limitations. 

Posts 160
David Medina | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 15 2014 7:33 AM

Dan, but only two of the Bibles in their starter package are fragged... and both are KJV... . 

Dan Bible Software are meant to do complex searches among many volume of information. Either one which no resources has very limited usefulness.  I can do what you suggest with my paper Bible and a paper dictionary and if I need to go deeper there are many FREE resources that would help me. I think I get more free stuff from Olive tree app or Glo Bible or Blue Letter Bible.

After all, if we are looking just for a meaningful spiritual life I ONLY need the Word of God and abide in Him. 

But for those interested into getting into any of these softwares consider the mobile apps as both Logos and Accordance offer many free resources.

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 15 2014 10:26 AM

David Medina:

After all, if we are looking just for a meaningful spiritual life I ONLY need the Word of God and abide in Him. 

But for those interested into getting into any of these softwares consider the mobile apps as both Logos and Accordance offer many free resources.

I use my friend as an example.... She is Christian, she wants the Bible on her phone, she is adamant about it using no data. She has a weakness for the poet nature of the KJV, but also took some greek in university and wants to see the underlying word behind the translation. Her modern preference is NRSV. As prudent as she is with her money I do not see her spending much on her Bible. She is one of generation that doesn't want a paper Bible/dictionary. Indeed she has a copy of the Oxford NRSV Access Bible and a KJV and that is all she has at home. I would love to recommend for her Logos, but seeing as she will not use Data on her phone, I need to recommend her something that is contained. Also one that will give her the chance to add the basic resources she will want at a reasonable price. I am one of those rare creatures that values Biblical study works above vacations and many of the other luxuries. But I realize I am a minority. In my friends case where she is barely scraping by on her income I understand her reluctance to spend. Her complaint  looking at Logos mobile was it was too slow and didn't do much offline. I will have her look at the Olivetree APP as I didn;t realize it had so many free resources before.

-Dan

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 16 2014 12:10 AM

On very few select items they have dynamic pricing if You have the preceding Edition, such as Hebrew and Greek Bibles. It's a good example, because Logos doesn't have dynamic pricing if You have NA27 and want to upgrade to NA28:

David Medina:
I am sorry Unix, but to be clear, Accordance does not have Dynamic pricing.

They do honor what you paid on a collection packages only. But if you buy one volume of a multi volume Commentary they will not do any kind of dynamic pricing like Logos does unless you buy the set within a month of purchasing the single volume.

No they don't, but that's actually a benefit. I 've bought a lot in Logos thinking I have the ability to return, but in reality I've had time to evaluate and return far less than I though, so I've ended up spending more, and spending on a few items that I really regret. Also, if the money for a base package upgrade on November 20. 2012 would have been withdrawn from my debit card at once, I would have ended up with a higher base-package than I wanted, luckily enough the sales rep did some error and no money was withdrawn and when he asked for the payment several months later I was able to cancel the higher base-package only keeping the lower upgrade level (which still is far from being among my best purchases). If I would have thought of it a year longer I would not have upgraded at all within the generic base-packages. So I barely got away with a moderate investment in books which I could have bought individually instead:

David Medina:
Accordance does not offer a refund policy either. If you purchase something and then you do not like or it is not what you expected it you cannot return it.

They have the equivalent system as pre-pubs except it's better: whenever there's a new release it's discounted in the beginning and immediately available. So the price is competitive. Logos pre-pub orders are far from immediately available altough some items nowadays ship fairly quickly. Many times Accordance ships the same items faster:

David Medina:
They also don't have community pricing or pre-pub which save us money.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 16 2014 7:01 AM

I am a long time Logos user and have recently bought into Accordance.  I really like both applications a lot and their very different approaches to Bible Study.  To me, the compliment each other well and some of the gaps I had in my Logos library were filled in Accordance.

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 408
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 30 2014 8:43 AM

Well it looks like Accordance 11 is being released...and the price of the Starter package has jumped 20%.

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 30 2014 8:58 AM

It's newer software. This update makes it the most current Bible Study software available - to be released in a few days:

Erik:
the price of the Starter package has jumped 20%.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 30 2014 9:35 AM

Technically, if you already bought the Starter package, you can buy it again for $50.  I view that as a major, major bargain.  I checked all the resources I already have, and it looks pretty exciting.

I guess I'm still enamored with Logos' approach of a free engine, a great price on new tools/datasets, and interesting new collections (Logos6).  Plus the real biggie ... with Logos I can download my books!!  With A-Company, I've yet to succeed, even after they fixed it.  But not to complain ... Garmin has trouble delivering too.  The internet is so new.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Page 3 of 8 (154 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS