So, why doesn't Logos have more low cost packages?

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 1 2014 1:28 PM

Bob said that only .1% of all Logos users are paying users, why doesn't Logos offer more low cost package options?  At almost $300, Starter isn't that cheap for a lot of people.  And there is a big gap between that and Bronze.  There is no original language package to compete with Bible Works (mid $300 range).  I think that Logos could gain more paying users if they allow more options at the bottom of the scale.  For example, I started with Logos via a MacArthur package (Libronix) that cost under $30 at Sam's Club.

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 32168
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 1:37 PM

Tony Thomas:
why doesn't Logos offer more low cost package options?

My guess would be that at a low cost package level there is too much variety in what people want. Logos is open to affordable custom packages for small groups.

If I recall correctly, my first base package was under $100 ... which says a great deal about how long I have been a customer.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 408
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 1:51 PM

Tony Thomas:

Bob said that only .1% of all Logos users are paying users, why doesn't Logos offer more low cost package options?  At almost $300, Starter isn't that cheap for a lot of people.  And there is a big gap between that and Bronze.  There is no original language package to compete with Bible Works (mid $300 range).  I think that Logos could gain more paying users if they allow more options at the bottom of the scale.  For example, I started with Logos via a MacArthur package (Libronix) that cost under $30 at Sam's Club.

Tony, there is a Biblical Languages package but you must be a student on academic pricing to have it available to you. https://www.logos.com/product/27551/biblical-languages

Posts 1795
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 1:51 PM

Variety of needs is part of it.  Personally I sort of started with eBible Discover edition--sort of because I installed that first, but had ordered ABD already...  I do wonder if I would have become a user today with current offerings.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 2:18 PM

Bob's answered that question here: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/9906/83901.aspx#83901 

Bob Pritchett:

Offering $20 products identifies people who'll spend $20. Few (if any) of these people ever upgrade.

Offering a $250+ package identifies people who care enough to invest "real money", and they come back and upgrade, buy more books, etc. at a much higher rate.

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 2:45 PM

As I mentioned before another company offers there program a modern bible dictionary and modern one volume commentary and the ESV tied to greek/ hebrew with a few dozen other older works for $49. I wish logos would do the same.. one person pointed out that faithlife is sort of Logos entry Bible, but it is not an ideal thing for a starter package. I also wonder if there are many people like me out there. I signed up to Logos with 3 emails purposely to see what one can get for base Verbum mobile and faith life mobile. So while i may have a large library I account for 2 other logos accounts which never purchased anything. I still feel Logos could offer such a starter pack, like the above to gain new users. A lot of people would be content just having the New Bible Commentary and Eerdmans Bible Dictionary and the ESV tied to hebrew greek with basic lexicons.  But most would add things on, even if it is just the odd resource here and there it can add up.

I am not going to mention the company because anyone wanting it can locate it fast enough. This is not about saying X has a great value, but in saying Logos needs something like this.

The Starter Collection is the most affordable way to get up and running with XXX. This introductory set of Bibles and tools provides you with everything you need for basic study. The included ESV Bible is tagged with Strong’s numbers, allowing you to quickly look up Greek and Hebrew definitions right from your English Bible. You can also look up unfamiliar people, places, and terms in Eerdman’s Dictionary of the Bible, which includes almost 5,000 articles. When you come across challenging passages, you can refer to the IVP New Bible Commentary, which offers valuable insights throughout every book of the Bible.

This collection is recommended for devotional readers and those who want to start small and build their XXX library over time.

SamplerMaps

PhotoGuide Sampler

Timeline Sampler

American Standard Version

Bible in Basic English

Douay-Rheims Bible

King James Version Apocrypha

King James Version with Strong's

World English BibleEnglish Bibles

English Standard Version with Strong's

Outlines of the Bible Books

ESV Cross References and Notes

Matthew Henry's Commentary (Condensed)Commentaries

New Bible Commentary

Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible

Webster's 1913 Unabridged English Dictionary

Easton's Bible Dictionary

Bible Names Dictionary

Nave'sNave's Topical Bible

Classic Bible Passages

Parables & Miracles

Chronological Readings

Devotional Readings

Greek New Testament (Textus Receptus) with Strong's

Strong's Greek Dictionary

Mounce Concise Greek-English Dictionary of the New Testament

Strong's Hebrew Dictionary

Kohlenberger/Mounce Concise Hebrew-Aramaic Dictionary

Nouvelle Edition de Geneve 1979

Nuova Riveduta 1994

1909 Reina Valera with Strong's numbers

German Schlachter

Now I realize that there is there a lot of classic items with little value but my guess is while half the people who buy that may say it is enough, I would bet most end up at least buying their favourite translation (assuming it is not the ESV or KJV) and possible a devotional work or two, maybe even their favourite Study Bible. Logos is a beautiful gem, but while it is not too hard to convince someone of making a $50 investment, it can be very hard to convince them to spend $250 even if it has a money back guarantee.

-Dan 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 2:46 PM

Tony Thomas:

(You misunderstood the 1% comment but the point is made)

There are still a few Nelson eBible titles being sold that will get you into entry level Libronix that can be upgraded to Logos 5.  I don't mean out of print stuff but current offerings. Then there are the free FaithLife Bible and other free stuff that Bob is probably referring to as the unpaid customers' choice. If I were advising someone on a restricted budget to buy into Logos I would suggest they get the free stuff and add the AMG Bible Essentials and add-on Bible versions of their choice.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 2:48 PM

In the '90s I had 3 Logos Library System 2 products. They were bought separately and I never linked them to a company called Logos. Eleven or twelve years ago I saw a Bible software program in a Christian bookstore, seems like it was titled "Family . . . " something or another. It cost somewhere around $125. I decided to take a chance. Logos Bible Software Series X Libronix. Without that package I probably would not have bought another Logos product except the few eBooks collections I found at Sams a long time ago. I now have 15.7K+ resources. Seems to me the "Family . . . " in the store paid dividends for Logos.

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 2:49 PM

Mark Barnes:

Bob's answered that question here: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/9906/83901.aspx#83901 

Bob Pritchett:

Offering $20 products identifies people who'll spend $20. Few (if any) of these people ever upgrade.

Offering a $250+ package identifies people who care enough to invest "real money", and they come back and upgrade, buy more books, etc. at a much higher rate.

I do understand that it is just frustrating to have to point people elsewhere when they want a good yet inexpensive way to start into computer Bible study.

-Dan

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 3:03 PM

Mark Barnes:

Bob Pritchett:

Makes one wonder why FaithLife came out with the free stuff. I guess we needed to identify the 90% that won't upgrade.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 29365
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 3:38 PM

Tony Thomas:
Bob said that only .1% of all Logos users are paying users, why doesn't Logos offer more low cost package options?

In a sense they do with Vyrso and Faithlife. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 3:39 PM

Erik:

Tony, there is a Biblical Languages package but you must be a student on academic pricing to have it available to you. https://www.logos.com/product/27551/biblical-languages

Wow, $750!  Really??  That is 2X the price of Bible Works!  Didn't the old Original Languages package cost less than $450.

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 3:54 PM

There doesn't seem to be an effective and economical "bridge" between the free mobile versions and the computer versions of Logos.  In the past, I have encouraged folks to get the cheap Nelson CDs and some of the other Libronix offerings (like MacArthur, etc.) to get started.  Then, they could run it on the free version of Logos 4/5 and get a feel for the platform.  

Today, $295 is the entry point and the Basic package does not look all that compelling to my eyes. Logos should have a the $99 to $199 range with fewer resources.  They could use the Faithlife Study Bible as the centerpiece and fill it out with public domain warhorses and some of their Lexham stuff with some Vyrso books thrown in.  Even if they don't make as much margin on such a package, I believe that it can serve as a magnet to get more people into the platform.

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 408
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 3:57 PM

Tony Thomas:

Erik:

Wow, $750!  Really??  That is 2X the price of Bible Works!  Didn't the old Original Languages package cost less than $450.

To be fair, the price for students is actually considerably less once Dynamic or Academic Discount is applied.  I think I ended up paying about $100 for it last year. 

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 4:00 PM

Erik:

Tony Thomas:

Erik:

To be fair, the price for students is actually considerably less once Dynamic or Academic Discount is applied.  I think I ended up paying about $100 for it last year. 

Why the huge difference in price?  I am sure a lot of non-academics would like to have a language tools package for less.

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 408
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 4:05 PM

Tony Thomas:

Erik:

Tony Thomas:

Erik:

Why the huge difference in price?  I am sure a lot of non-academics would like to have a language tools package for less.

My understanding is that if you are not eligible for the package, that the pricing reflects the full MSRP.  If you are a student and have a base package already and several of the resources, you are bound to pay less.  I already had many of the available volumes, so my cost was much lower. If you are a student and only rely on the Academic Discount, I think the cost is around $524.  It's of course much less if you already own some of the most expensive resources it contains, which I did.

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 4:08 PM

Erik:

My understanding is that if you are not eligible for the package, that the pricing reflects the full MSRP.  If you are a student and have a base package already and several of the resources, you are bound to pay less.  I already had many of the available volumes, so my cost was much lower.

OK, that makes sense, then.

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 29365
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 4:13 PM

Tony Thomas:
Today, $295 is the entry point and the Basic package does not look all that compelling to my eyes. Logos should have a the $99 to $199 range with fewer resources.  They could use the Faithlife Study Bible as the centerpiece and fill it out with public domain warhorses and some of their Lexham stuff with some Vyrso books thrown in.

I agree. YesSmile

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 408
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 4:15 PM

Tony Thomas:

Erik:

My understanding is that if you are not eligible for the package, that the pricing reflects the full MSRP.  If you are a student and have a base package already and several of the resources, you are bound to pay less.  I already had many of the available volumes, so my cost was much lower.

OK, that makes sense, then.

I keep expecting to see that Logos opens this up to non-students. I believe the issue was that the package simply doesn't sell well to non-students.  See Bob Pritchett's post in this thread: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/60280/430475.aspx#430475

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 4:23 PM

I think they need something that competes well with BibleWorks.  They are still around so I think they must be selling something!  Big Smile

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS