So, why doesn't Logos have more low cost packages?

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 25 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 4:38 PM

Erik:

Tony Thomas:

Erik:

Tony Thomas:

Erik:

Tony, there is a Biblical Languages package but you must be a student on academic pricing to have it available to you. https://www.logos.com/product/27551/biblical-languages

Wow, $750!  Really??  That is 2X the price of Bible Works!  Didn't the old Original Languages package cost less than $450.

To be fair, the price for students is actually considerably less once Dynamic or Academic Discount is applied.  I think I ended up paying about $100 for it last year. 

Why the huge difference in price?  I am sure a lot of non-academics would like to have a language tools package for less.

My understanding is that if you are not eligible for the package, that the pricing reflects the full MSRP.  If you are a student and have a base package already and several of the resources, you are bound to pay less.  I already had many of the available volumes, so my cost was much lower. If you are a student and only rely on the Academic Discount, I think the cost is around $524.  It's of course much less if you already own some of the most expensive resources it contains, which I did.

I think I spent about a hundred dollars.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 5:13 PM

Tony Thomas:
There is no original language package to compete with Bible Works (mid $300 range).  I think that Logos could gain more paying users if they allow more options at the bottom of the scale.

Back in 2011 I bought Logos4 Original Languages Library (JG) for $353.56
BibleWorks 9 came out in the summer of 2011 selling for $359.00

Logos4 OL was a little bit cheaper, but really about the same price. So, back in 2011 Logos was trying to be more competitive in the OL market.  But, being that the current Logos5 Biblical language packages sells for $749.95 and only to students means that it will be difficult to compete with BW9 and now Accordance 10 Original Language collection for windows which usually sells for 299.99 USD but is only sale for 239USD.

I am guessing Logos doesn't care about the OL/BL market because the type of people attracted to OL are probably not likely to spend lots of money on commentary sets or upgrade to bigger unrelated packages. However, they might have upgraded more often if Logos had of created an OL/BL line of packages or different levels of them.

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 7:58 PM

Dan Francis:

As I mentioned before another company offers there program a modern bible dictionary and modern one volume commentary and the ESV tied to greek/ hebrew with a few dozen other older works for $49. I wish logos would do the same.. one person pointed out that faithlife is sort of Logos entry Bible, but it is not an ideal thing for a starter package. I also wonder if there are many people like me out there. I signed up to Logos with 3 emails purposely to see what one can get for base Verbum mobile and faith life mobile. So while i may have a large library I account for 2 other logos accounts which never purchased anything. I still feel Logos could offer such a starter pack, like the above to gain new users. A lot of people would be content just having the New Bible Commentary and Eerdmans Bible Dictionary and the ESV tied to hebrew greek with basic lexicons.  But most would add things on, even if it is just the odd resource here and there it can add up.

I am not going to mention the company because anyone wanting it can locate it fast enough. This is not about saying X has a great value, but in saying Logos needs something like this.

[deleted]

Now I realize that there is there a lot of classic items with little value but my guess is while half the people who buy that may say it is enough, I would bet most end up at least buying their favourite translation (assuming it is not the ESV or KJV) and possible a devotional work or two, maybe even their favourite Study Bible. Logos is a beautiful gem, but while it is not too hard to convince someone of making a $50 investment, it can be very hard to convince them to spend $250 even if it has a money back guarantee.

-Dan 

And may I add that the same company has a Bible Study collection that adds the Tyndale and Calvin's commentaries plus a lot of other useful stuff for $199.

I think it is time for Logos to take a close look at their package lineup, keep the wheat, remove the chaff and add some more serious value  -- meaning tools that people will actually use everyday.  And do it at price points that most people can afford. 

I know a lot of people use Logos as well as other packages and the comment I keep hearing is that Logos has a great library of esoteric works but is not as useful as it could be for basic Bible study.

As a loyal Logos user, I want to see Logos stay at the front of the pack but I hear footsteps behind them!

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 1105
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 9:08 PM

Hi I am a student with the Academic discount its $524.96

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 11:50 PM

One thing to remember is that Academic discount means it;s yours for life. Not transferable. Bob has said at death it may be passed on at that point. but just want to give you all the info.

-Dan

Posts 408
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 2 2014 12:47 AM

Dan Francis:

One thing to remember is that Academic discount means it;s yours for life. Not transferable. Bob has said at death it may be passed on at that point. but just want to give you all the info.

-Dan

Just to clarify Bob's prior statements on the Academic Pricing program, here are the links to some relevant threads.

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/50184/380033.aspx#380033

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/73199.aspx?PageIndex=1

Since I don't envision ever wanting to sell off any of my books in a piecemeal fashion, the restriction doesn't worry me at all.  In addition to transfers at death, I somehow don't think Logos would have an issue with me transferring my entire library to a needy pastor, missionary or student prior to death if I've become too frail to use Logos.  Those are the only scenarios I can envision where I'd want to part from my library anyway. Big Smile

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS