Collection rules for sorting commentaries (updated for Logos 8 Base Packages)

Page 10 of 14 (266 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last »
This post has 265 Replies | 37 Followers

Posts 13309
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 1:20 AM

Randy W. Sims:

It looks like shared collections can now be accessed from within Logos pretty easily through Docs/Public. And collections can fairly easily be shared/updated from documents.logos.com (preferably with unique prefix, eg "Barnes: Commentaries - Historical (Antiquity)"). Not sure how updating works for users or how much burden that might be to you compared to updating here. Not sure if it's practical or advantageous over what's already available or not... 

Barnes: Commentaries - Historical (Reformation)

I did notice the new sharing options, but wasn’t sure how easy they were to keep up to date. I’ll check them out.

Posts 13309
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 3:42 AM

I've shared these collections publicly and added instructions into the first post:

If you are using Logos 8, you can easily add these collections to your own Logos installation. (1) Go to the Docs menu. (2) Click on Public. (3) Select "Resource Collections" under the type facet. (4) Click the spyglass and search for "barnes" in the filter. (5) When you see my name, click on it. (6) Click on the row of the first collection you're interested in (but don't click on it's name), then CTRL+click on the others (or CTRL+A to select them all). (7) Click on "Add to your docs".

An alternative method, which is simpler but a little slower, and is useful for those not using Logos 8, is to click on each of the links provided in the original post, and then click on "Get Copy".

If I update these collections in the future, Logos 8 users will see a notification in their docs menu which will allow you to easily update the collection to the new rules.

Posts 13309
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 5:58 AM

I've added three more missing series:

• The Books of Kings (and several others by Cyril J. Barber) — Expository
  • Commentary on the Gospels — Historical: 1750-1950
  • A Commentary, Critical, Experimental, and Practical, on the Old and New Testaments: Commentary — Historical: 1750-1950

I'm interested in any feedback on those using the new shared copies of these collections. Does it work in Logos 7? Is updating them relatively painless?

Posts 702
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 8:13 AM

Mark Barnes:

I've shared these collections publicly and added instructions into the first post:

Mark, this is great. Before I try it (download the new rules), do you know if it will overwrite the manually entered collections I already have, or will I need to go back and delete duplicates?

Posts 13309
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 8:49 AM

JH:
Mark, this is great. Before I try it (download the new rules), do you know if it will overwrite the manually entered collections I already have, or will I need to go back and delete duplicates?

If you download the new rules it won't overwrite what you already have (because these are new rules as far as Faithlife is concerned). If (later) you click the button to update the rule you have previously downloaded, then it will overwrite that rule.

Posts 3110
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 12:19 PM

Mark Barnes:

I've added three more missing series:

• The Books of Kings (and several others by Cyril J. Barber) — Expository
  • Commentary on the Gospels — Historical: 1750-1950
  • A Commentary, Critical, Experimental, and Practical, on the Old and New Testaments: Commentary — Historical: 1750-1950

I'm interested in any feedback on those using the new shared copies of these collections. Does it work in Logos 7? Is updating them relatively painless?

Your new rule for Barber only added the Kings and Judges volumes for me.  It didn't pick up the Samuel volumes for some reason so I had to tag them manually

EDIT: I only own the Kings, Samuel and Judges volumes

Posts 13309
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 2:10 PM

Mattillo:
Your new rule for Barber only added the Kings and Judges volumes for me.  It didn't pick up the Samuel volumes for some reason so I had to tag them manually

I noticed that earlier myself, but didn't have time to investigate the reason.

It's a Faithlife metadata bug. His Samuel books are in a series called "The Books of Samuel". However, there's another series with the same name, so Barber's Samuel books end up in the Historical Commentaries collection along with the books from the other Samuel series.

I'll see if I get get Kyle to rename one of the series and then update one of the rules accordingly.

Posts 2032
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 3:09 PM

Mark Barnes:

GaoLu:

I am unable to copy and paste the entirety of the massive Historical Commentaries (1750-1950) rules into the the collection.  The beginning seems to be truncated.  Odd?

When editing the existing rule, press CTRL+A to select the whole rule, then paste the new rule in its place.

Thanks, Mark. I realize now that the copy and paste was not actually truncated, but that the cursor behaves so erratically in the Rules field that the text appears truncated and the cursor will not move to the beginning of the pasted text.  However, it does actually copy and paste correctly.  

Posts 406
Leo Wee Fah | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 5:55 PM

YesThanks Mark for your wonderful collections..

Posts 13309
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 2:40 AM

Mark Barnes:
It's a Faithlife metadata bug. His Samuel books are in a series called "The Books of Samuel". However, there's another series with the same name, so Barber's Samuel books end up in the Historical Commentaries collection along with the books from the other Samuel series.

This has now been fixed, and I've updated the commentary rules accordingly.

That should give L8 users who have previously added the collections to their account an opportunity to update the collections to the latest version. I'd be grateful to know whether this process works well as I'm not been able to test that myself.

Posts 21701
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 2:49 AM

Mark Barnes:

This has now been fixed, and I've updated the commentary rules accordingly.

That should give L8 users who have previously added the collections to their account an opportunity to update the collections to the latest version. I'd be grateful to know whether this process works well as I'm not been able to test that myself.

Thanks Mark

I've just updated the Expository Commentary collection from your post on the first page.

Barber's commentary on Samuel didn't show before but it does now.

Posts 13309
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 3:10 AM

Graham Criddle:
I've just updated the Expository Commentary collection from your post on the first page.

Thanks, Graham. Did you do that by copy/pasting the rule, or by updating from the documents menu? It's the latter process I'm particularly interested in. If that works well, it will stop L8 users having to copy/paste.

Posts 21701
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 3:16 AM

Mark Barnes:
Did you do that by copy/pasting the rule, or by updating from the documents menu? It's the latter process I'm particularly interested in. If that works well, it will stop L8 users having to copy/paste.

Sorry - I did it by copy / pasting the rule!

Posts 549
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 3:24 AM

Mark I did it by updating from the documents menu. 

Everything worked fine as far as I can tell. 

Thank you for sharing some of your genius with others. Smile

Posts 2060
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 3:28 AM

Mark Barnes:

Following the 7 step process above, correctly for me, shows only the 2 updates, as expected

• Expository - Today
  • 1750 - Yesterday

Which can be added per step 7.

I don't see any other notifications in app of an update.

A few bugs found which I'll explore further in a bit. Notable one is, omitting step 3, I can't use filter to pull up your name, though your name is listed. Adding the type filter allows me to then filter your name. 

The 7 step is the only way to see and get the update in Logos. Outside that, using the Get Copy links and updating from there works.

Posts 3110
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 4:53 AM

Thank you Mark.  I did the copy/paste as well because I have modified your rules a tad for some parts and I don't want them over-written

Posts 6219
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 6:22 AM

Thanks Mark! You’re a life and time saver! 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 389
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 6:35 AM

Thanks Mark, really appreciate all your work on this. It's a great benefit!

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 6:55 AM

Thanks Mark for all your hard work. It is truly appreciated.

Posts 715
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 9:04 AM

Hi Mark,

Amazing job. Many thanks. It saves the rest of us many, many hours of work.

I have one question: Based on the steps that I took to download these docs, it seems to imply that the docs become my documents. However, they don't show up when I go to "Docs" & "Yours". Is this intended? How can I find out which documents I downloaded?

Armin

Page 10 of 14 (266 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last » | RSS