Collection rules for sorting commentaries (updated for Logos 8 Base Packages)

Page 5 of 14 (266 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
This post has 265 Replies | 37 Followers

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 15 2015 11:24 PM

James Taylor:

I would find it so useful if the massive category of...

Historical Commentaries (1750-1950)

would be further subdivided into the same categories as the modern such as

I've not attempted to do that personally, but I can see why it might be useful. Having said that, I'm not entirely sure that the technical/intermediate/expository distinction holds good for these historical commentaries, because even 'general readers' tended to be far more highly educated in the classics than today, and because in many circles erudition was far more important than helpful application.

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 16 2015 6:54 AM

Where does Matthew Henry fit in to this?

He does not show up in any of my guides.

Thanks

P A

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 16 2015 7:19 AM

Relax!

I have found him! , he was hidden in the one volume commentaries, which kind of seems a strange place to have him.

I might move him, where would you have him (unabridged)?

P A

Posts 1392
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 22 2015 2:57 PM

Mark Barnes:
I'm not entirely sure that the technical/intermediate/expository distinction holds good for these historical commentaries, because even 'general readers' tended to be far more highly educated in the classics than today, and because in many circles erudition was far more important than helpful application

I understand to an extent, however, just by opening and comparing several of these historical works, many of them are far more technical than others, and I can certainly discern a more sermonic tone in some of them as well.  At the very least I need to sort out the more technical ones and place them into an technical/exegetical subdivision. 

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 23 2015 5:47 AM

Thank you Mark Barnes.

Your collections rules for sorting commentaries have tidied up my commentaries,  I have made guides for each collection.

My commentary collections are far less random that they use to be. I have made slight modifications and added the odd stand alone commentary that I think should be in a collection.

I understand that some would like to make further distinctions between historical technical commentaries and the rest. But for me this is not issue as I don't have too many historical technical commentaries. For me the best technical commentaries are the ones that are up to date  with the latest scholarship and research.

Overall Mark I think you have done a great job and at the very least this is a good starting point! With the thousands of commentaries available in Logos anything that helps us navigate our libraries is gratefully received!

These commentary collections make so much sense to me!

A big thank you to Mark

P AYes

Posts 1557
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 25 2015 5:07 AM

P A:
A big thank you to Mark
Yes

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2015 12:48 AM

I've updated the intermediate collection rule, to add the Hearing the Message of Scripture Commentary.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2015 11:11 AM

Did you happen to purchase the classic commentaries and studies 2.0 bundle? would be interested in knowing how that would affect your rules.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2015 11:51 AM

I did buy it. All of its contents are already covered by the existing rules. That's partly because most of the books were already in CP commentaruse I'd purchased and accounted for, and partly because I use a publication date in one of the rules. So most of the classic commentaries would end up in the 1750-1950 section anyway. 

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2015 9:08 AM

I've updated the Expository collection rule, to add Timothy Keller's "God's Word for You" series (e.g. this one on Romans).

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2015 7:23 AM

updated :)

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2015 6:46 PM

I've just pulled in the works of Barth on sale -- there is one commentary I can find in the set on Luke -- The Great Promise. I'm thinking this should probably go under expository, but I'm not certain. Any ideas?

Russ

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2016 7:23 AM

I've updated the rules to add:

• Kregel Exegetical Library (Technical)
  • The Moffat New Testament Commentary (Historical Commentaries [1750-1950])
  • New Studies in Biblical Theology (Special)
  • The Sermon Outline Bible (Expository)
  • The Two Horizons New Testament Commentary (Intermediate)
  • The Two Horizons Old Testament Commentary (Intermediate)
  • The Life and Times of Gideon (Expository)
  • Pamphlet Bible Series (Intermediate)
  • The People’s Bible: Discourses upon Holy Scripture (Historical Commentaries [1750-1950])
Posts 1072
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2016 9:25 AM

Thanks guys

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2016 12:35 AM

Another minor update to add:

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 5:53 AM

After some L7 purchases, I've added the following:

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 9:37 AM

Hey Mark

thanks for your Work. Where dit you update your Rules? In the first Post from you?

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 9:38 AM

Sascha John:
In the first Post from you?

Yes.

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 9:41 AM

Yes

Posts 196
Stephen Terlizzi | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 9:49 AM

If you are member of the Faithlife group and downloaded it in the past, do you need to do anything to update?

Agape,

Steve

Page 5 of 14 (266 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS