Modern English Version Reverse Interlinear

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 7 2014 3:55 PM

I've ordered the Modern English Version on Pre-Pub. I was wondering even after it ships, does Logos have any future plans to build a Reverse Interlinear using the MEV? I'm curious to compare it side by side with the KJV RI and see how close the underlying original manuscripts are (they should be nearly the same).

The MEV is really intriguing a lot of us, and we can't wait to get our hands on it. I know people who have been "KJV Only" for years that are very interested in the MEV and can't wait to see it. It may be enough to convince them to recommend it.

Having a RI of the MEV would give me additional underlying tools I could poke around in and compare to the KJV RI so I can answer people that ask me about it how textually close it is to the KJV under the hood.

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 5247
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 7 2014 5:10 PM

Modern English Version being a fairly recent translation is not likely a high priority for RI... If it becomes very popular RI would be a strong possibility.. But fairly popular versions like the HCSB have yet to have RI added (although some have spectated that holman may be against it wanting to have it only in their own software ).

-Dan

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 7 2014 5:44 PM

Dan Francis:

Modern English Version being a fairly recent translation is not likely a high priority for RI... If it becomes very popular RI would be a strong possibility.. But fairly popular versions like the HCSB have yet to have RI added (although some have spectated that holman may be against it wanting to have it only in their own software ).

-Dan

Yeah, the newness could be a major issue, but maybe it'll become popular enough for Logos to consider (I would gladly buy it on Pre-Pub or if it came out in a new Logos package such as 6 or 7 upgrade to get it). 

I didn't realize the HCSB RI was only available in another program. I haven't picked it up yet since I tend to use the NASB, KJV, and ESV RI the most. 

I'm just REALLY excited about the MEV, especially the fact that some KJV only people are willing to give it a read and even consider it. :-)

Nathan Parker

Posts 5247
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 7 2014 6:00 PM

Wordseach has it.. I am not one excited about the MEV but if it gets someone reading more and understanding better, Praise be to God for it.

-Dan

Posts 27451
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 7 2014 6:02 PM

Nathan Parker:
maybe it'll become popular enough for Logos to consider

Consider adding it as a resource? Maybe. Enough for an RI? Doubtful. 

Nathan Parker:
I'm just REALLY excited about the MEV, especially the fact that some KJV only people are willing to give it a read and even consider it.

"Some" doesn't sound promising. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 7 2014 8:14 PM

Dan Francis:

Wordseach has it.. I am not one excited about the MEV but if it gets someone reading more and understanding better, Praise be to God for it.

-Dan

Yeah, I knew they offered it, but for some crazy reason I thought it was included in the Logos version as well. Good to know though it isn't somif I go looking for it, I know I have to buy it from WS. :-)

Nathan Parker

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 7 2014 8:15 PM

alabama24:

Nathan Parker:
maybe it'll become popular enough for Logos to consider

Consider adding it as a resource? Maybe. Enough for an RI? Doubtful. 

Nathan Parker:
I'm just REALLY excited about the MEV, especially the fact that some KJV only people are willing to give it a read and even consider it.

"Some" doesn't sound promising. 

i need to show it to more KJV only people and get their thoughts, but I'm impressed at who I've showed it to so far that's interested in it. Some people that were so diehard KJV only are seriously wanting to get their hands on it and read it. Hope it really delivers and turns out to be an excellent translation. 

Nathan Parker

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 7 2014 8:35 PM

I am not a KJV only person, and I really don't know many. The one guy I met believed it was the translation itself that was inspired, and that the autographs were meaningless.

So I guess with that narrow bit of experience being my background for understanding on this, I don't see why they would be more likely to read this version than the kjv.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 7 2014 8:39 PM

abondservant:

I am not a KJV only person, and I really don't know many. The one guy I met believed it was the translation itself that was inspired, and that the autographs were meaningless.

So I guess with that narrow bit of experience being my background for understanding on this, I don't see why they would be more likely to read this version than the kjv.

Visit the campus of Pensacola Christian College and you'll meet a ton of KJV Only people fast. :-) Some of their professors stated that if there was a modern translation based on the Byzentine Text Family and based off the KJV to hit the market, they'd consider it. Well, it finally happened. 

Nathan Parker

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 7 2014 8:45 PM

As an undergraduate one of my professors (who is now a missionary over seas) was a graduate of PCC and referred to the institution as Pensacola Concentration Camp. He was firmly in the NASB camp at the time. He had transferred there from Clearwater Christian College, which he referred to in like fashion.

I suppose the best translation is the one that is being read on a regular basis.

I wonder if Word of Life is a KJV only group? They are another institution in the same general area.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 7 2014 8:47 PM

abondservant:

As an undergraduate one of my professors (who is now a missionary over seas) was a graduate of PCC and referred to the institution as Pensacola Concentration Camp. He was firmly in the NASB camp at the time. He had transferred there from Clearwater Christian College, which he referred to in like fashion.

I suppose the best translation is the one that is being read on a regular basis.

I wonder if Word of Life is a KJV only group? They are another institution in the same general area.

I'm an A Beka grad (so I was heavily exposed to it) and like your professor, I'm a big NASB fan myself. Not sure about Word of Life. Some Independent Baptist churches/colleges hold to it. We have one here. 

Nathan Parker

Posts 5247
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 9 2014 11:30 AM

Dan Francis:
HCSB have yet to have RI added (although some have spectated that holman may be against it wanting to have it only in their own software ).

I do not think this is the case. I just realized that HCSB is tied to the original languages in not only WS but also in Acc and OT.  So the lack of RI on it in Logos is likely an internal decision on Logos part.

-Dan 

Posts 1597
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 9 2014 11:50 AM

Nathan Parker:
Some of their professors stated that if there was a modern translation based on the Byzentine Text Family and based off the KJV to hit the market, they'd consider it. Well, it finally happened. 

I am FAR from KJV only, but I thought that NKJV was based upon the Byzantine text.  What beef do they have with it?

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 10 2014 12:08 PM

Ken McGuire:

Nathan Parker:
Some of their professors stated that if there was a modern translation based on the Byzentine Text Family and based off the KJV to hit the market, they'd consider it. Well, it finally happened. 

I am FAR from KJV only, but I thought that NKJV was based upon the Byzantine text.  What beef do they have with it?

That's a good question and one I should throw at my KJV only friends. From what I've been in seminary, the KJV and NKJV are textually similar, so I'm not understanding what the issue is with the NKJV from their standpoint. It's an answer I'd definitely like to know just to see what the reasoning is behind it.

Nathan Parker

Posts 10486
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 10 2014 12:30 PM

abondservant:

We have a large number of people here in Randolph County North Carolina who would agree with him. Started to say more, but decided that comment would violate the forum guidelines Embarrassed

Posts 32
Kevin M. Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 9 2014 5:57 AM

Logos: When can we expect the Holman to be 'complete' with interlinears, reverse interlinears and the like? It seems like every new edition (L4, 5, 6) adds more interlinears. Where's the Holman. And the new Propositional outlines includes basically all the main translations in use BUT no Holman. Is this because Holman won't play well with Logos or because Logos is for some reason slow on adding this? Please reply Logos or point me to the answer. Thanks.

Posts 9914
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 9 2014 6:07 AM

Kevin M. Adams:
Is this because Holman won't play well with Logos or because Logos is for some reason slow on adding this? Please reply Logos

Kevin: Logos usually doesn't discuss this kind of topics in the public, since this could alienate the respective partners (and thus negatively affect what we all want: progress on getting resources into Logos).

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 27451
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 9 2014 10:30 AM

I wonder if the Holman translations has difficulties because of the SBC purchase of Lifeway / Wordsearch?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 502
Bob Deacon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 3:40 AM

The fact that there is NO HCSB RI (in spite of the fact it was promised long ago by Mr. Pritchett) is why my "go to" Bible study program is NOT Logos! I like many of the things of Logos but it is crippled from me!

Bob Deacon

Dell Inspiron, Windows 10 Latest Update

MacBook Air (2017) Mojave

Ipad Air 2 (ios 8.2.1)

Motorola G6 Play (android 8.3.1)

Posts 53
DanC | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2018 11:07 AM

Any news of Logos doing a Reverse Interlinear now that the MEV is out?

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS