Unable to reinstall Logos4

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 46
Cheez | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 6 2010 7:41 AM

I've encountered an unsual problem. I had to recover my HD for some reason (using Acronis). After recovery to the clean initial clean status (ie no additional software installed), I attempted to install Logos4. However, installation stopped and a message said that I've already installed a newer version of Logos.

This doesn't make sense since my recovery is supposed to be a clean parition. I suspected that some files is left behind somewhere that's causing the problem. One possibility is the User Folder, which I've moved to d: drive. However, I've deleted the Logos folder in the User Folder as well. I still cannot install Logos4.

Any ideas how to go about this?

There's no way do a clean install as I'm using Sony Vaio - and they don't provide boot discs. Everything is in the HD (including Windows 7 recovery).

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 7:53 AM

Cheez:

I've encountered an unsual problem. I had to recover my HD for some reason (using Acronis). After recovery to the clean initial clean status (ie no additional software installed), I attempted to install Logos4. However, installation stopped and a message said that I've already installed a newer version of Logos.

This doesn't make sense since my recovery is supposed to be a clean parition. I suspected that some files is left behind somewhere that's causing the problem. One possibility is the User Folder, which I've moved to d: drive. However, I've deleted the Logos folder in the User Folder as well. I still cannot install Logos4.

Any ideas how to go about this?

There's no way do a clean install as I'm using Sony Vaio - and they don't provide boot discs. Everything is in the HD (including Windows 7 recovery).

My suspicion is that there are remnants of L4 in your registry file. Those may have to be cleaned out before a reinstall could happen. You should probably contact tech support, since it's likely that you would only have to remove or change a single registry entry (or just a few).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 46
Cheez | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 3:02 PM

With a clean recovery, that would also mean the registry is clean (at pre-installation date). I've also cleaned the registry (deep cleaning) using JVpowertools and did a registry search for all Logos4 remnants (which I removed). To no avail.

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 3:05 PM

Cheez:
However, I've deleted the Logos folder in the User Folder as well. I still cannot install Logos4.

Which folder exactly did you remove?  Full path?

Was it this?  C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Logos4

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 25739
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 3:22 PM

Cheez:
I've encountered an unsual problem. I had to recover my HD for some reason (using Acronis).

If you used Acronis it should have recovered all your software - restoring to a clean partition is not significant as long as Acronis has free space to restore your partition as it was before the crash. Was L4 backed up with Acronis - it should have been recovered together with its shorcut. But it is installed by default to a hidden folder, so you have to make those visible using Explorer's Folder Options.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 46
Cheez | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 7:25 PM

Yes, I deleted the hidden folder d:\user...\AppData\Local\Logos4. I'm not sure if something was installed in the user temp folder. I made one mistake - I did a backup of the C: partition, but not the D: partition. The problem is that I moved my entire user folder into d: directory using registry changes (that's the only way to do it for Windows 7 - that way, I have all my documents nicely in D: drive). 

So when I recovered C: partition, the D: partition remained unchanged. This may have messed things up. There must be something else installed other than the AppData]Local\Logos4 folder. I suspect it's in the hidden temp folder, as it contains folders with long strings of alpha-numerals. There's no way I can find out which one is Logos4 related. Don't want to delete the wrong folder.

Now there's no way to install Logos4. What should I do?

Posts 46
Cheez | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 9:15 PM

Just downloaded the latest beta version. It installed fine, but at the end of the installation, a message said that the older version cannot be removed. Then setup exited ungracefully. 

Logos4 still start up though, but I'm unsure if there's going to be any unwanted side-effects with left over software from previous version lurking in the background...

Posts 25739
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 9:57 PM

Cheez:

Just downloaded the latest beta version. It installed fine, but at the end of the installation, a message said that the older version cannot be removed. Then setup exited ungracefully. 

Logos4 still start up though, but I'm unsure if there's going to be any unwanted side-effects with left over software from previous version lurking in the background...

It must have found something of your earlier installation and was expecting to remove it before installing the beta. If it works normally then you should be OK - if you want to go back to 4.0a then you must uninstall and reinstall. If you continue with the beta then you would be advised not to go back to 4.0a.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS