Search Non-Biblical Citations

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 462
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 14 2014 6:35 PM

My understanding is that the Cited By tool only works for Bible references. Is there a quick way to search for all references to a particular non-biblical resource?

I'm trying to find all references within my library to a specific journal article, but I'd be happy finding all references to the volume in which its found.

Thanks!

Posts 9567
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 6:44 PM

When I'm doing this sort of search I simply do an exact phrase search using quoting marks around the phrase I'm searching. In this case I would put quotation marks around the title of the journal article and it will provide all occurrences of this phrase in your library.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 9479
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 7:17 PM

Bruce Dunning:
When I'm doing this sort of search I simply do an exact phrase search using quoting marks around the phrase I'm searching. In this case I would put quotation marks around the title of the journal article and it will provide all occurrences of this phrase in your library.

I think the problem with doing a search like this is knowing what to put in for the search parameters. If the title of the article appears elsewhere then entering the title in quotations will find those references. However, suppose there is simply a footnote to the journal rather than the title? The problem is there is no single way journals are cited in footnotes or references. Logos has sorted out all this with Bible references by tagging all our resources with uniform scripture reference tags allowing the cited by tool or a scripture reference search to locate them. This has not been done for footnotes, end notes, etc. I am unsure of how to proceed in a simple manner that will yield the desired 'all references' result. I doubt there is a way to do this at this time. It certainly would be a nice capability to have but I believe it would require some sort of uniform tagging or cross-referencing of every reference found in every resource Logos has produced.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9567
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 7:21 PM

Mark Smith:
If the title of the article appears elsewhere then entering the title in quotations will find those references.

I recognize this as a drawback but often it would be simple to just skim the list for the results you want.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 9479
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 7:34 PM

Bruce Dunning:
skim the list

Just searching for the title will miss all those places the article is referenced only by journal name, volume, and page number. It is that 'journal name, volume, and page number' stuff that is not uniform so it would be difficult to know what search parameters to put in. So finding all references to the article would require lots of different parameters, and you'd have to know in advance what those parameters were. (I.e. is it Bibliotheca Sacra, BibSac, BSac or something else? Is it Volume 152, Vol 152, V152 or something else? Page 142, P 142, P142, just 142 or something else? Or might it be V152:142?) All the options are unknown without knowing the reference systems used by every resource. (Perhaps I am over thinking this, but I think I'm close to right about the complexity of producing what Dave wants.)

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9567
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 7:37 PM

Mark Smith:
Just searching for the title will miss all those places the article is referenced only by journal name, volume, and page number. It is that 'journal name, volume, and page number' stuff that is not uniform so it would be difficult to know what search parameters to put in.

Good point. The way I suggested was quite simplistic and would not be the best if one wanted every occurrence.

Posts 9479
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 7:55 PM

Bruce Dunning:
The way I suggested was quite simplistic and would not be the best if one wanted every occurrence.

I would think in most of the cases that an article is cited that the title would also be cited. So probably most of the citations will be found using just the title.

However, sometimes an author only cites the full reference once, then later simply cites the author alone and we are to know which article he is referring to. Those citations would be missed, along with any in which the article title might not be mentioned if we use just a title search.

I think tagged resources are the only way to be certain all references are found.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS