Preferred Layout for Sermon Prep

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 80
Pastor Kay | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 26 2014 12:35 PM

I use Logos mostly for sermon prep.  I've been trying to use the "Preferred Layout" option but am not having much luck with it.  If I don't use it, I click on the RCL text I plan to preach on and I get that verse in several Bibles/languages (which I have managed to personalize by selecting my favorite translation- that comes up on top now) and one commentary, and for some reason "Lives of the Saints and Martyrs" or whatever it's called, since I uninstalled the "Connections" devotion because I never use it.  How to I personalize which commentaries come up, more than just one?

I couldn't figure that out, so I tried the Preferred Layout thing.  I have one set up for the RCL "Matthew" year- but I can't get all the tabs to land on the same text/Proper (because some are organized by Bible verse and some by lectionary).  Can I do that?

Before someone brings it up- no, the "Cited By" window is not a workable option- I have several commentaries I like to read consistently, and the "Cited By" window never organizes the options in any useful way, it costs me a lot of time.  What I do after I find the proper place in every resource I want is cut and paste them into a Clipping document (so hopefully I'll have less of this work to do in three years most Sundays).  Is there a way to make this easier?

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 26 2014 3:01 PM

Forgive me for being a little confused about your problem / question. I think what you are saying is that you have a preferred bible, a commentary, and a Revised Common Lectionary open. You want to click on a scripture reference in the RCL and have your bible and commentary go the that reference. You want that to be the layout you use every time. Is that right? If it is then do the following:

1. Open the preferred bible

2. Open your commentary or commentaries

3. Open your RCL

4. In the preferred bible open the pane menu. That is the down arrow at the upper left portion of the pane where the resource picture is. Select "Link set" A

5. Do the same (as you did in step 4) in your commentary(s)

6. Name and save that layout.

With the bible and commentary set to the the same link set when you click a passage in the RCL the bible (as long as it is your preferred bible) and commentary(s) should all go to that passage.

If I have misunderstood what you are trying to do please post again with clarification.

Posts 27224
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 26 2014 3:54 PM

Pastor Kay:
I couldn't figure that out, so I tried the Preferred Layout thing.  I have one set up for the RCL "Matthew" year- but I can't get all the tabs to land on the same text/Proper (because some are organized by Bible verse and some by lectionary).  Can I do that?

This is close to what you describe i.e. a modified layout from the Home Page GO box:

I set the ESV to "Send hyperlinks here" from its menu (the red bulls-eye) and clicked on the RCL reference. All other bibles and the Passage guide are on link set A. Open other commentaries if necessary and link them. Then save the layout in the Layouts menu. In Program Settings choose an appropriate option for "At startup Open to"  e.g. "Most recent layout - local" OR "Blank layout" if you want to choose a layout after startup.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS