Persesus Classical Collection: Adding Resources

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 21
Barry Hofstetter | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 29 2014 9:07 AM

The Perseus Classical Collection is what sucked me into the world of Logos (hey, the weather's not too bad in here, actually). Now, Tufts is adding various resources to that collection all the time. Is there a way to get the new additions for Logos? Or will there be some sort of update soon which will handle that?

Posts 884
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 29 2014 9:19 AM

Barry Hofstetter:
Now, Tufts is adding various resources to that collection all the time. Is there a way to get the new additions for Logos? Or will there be some sort of update soon which will handle that?

That's a great question, Barry.  I'll look into that and get you an answer ASAP.

Thanks!

Director, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 762
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 29 2014 1:22 PM

Since Perseus is on the agenda.  I thought it was really great when Logos first offered the Greek texts.  Then I was reading threads about people who were looking for ways to "hide" the resources since they were added to their library of resources.  As a result I avoided the purchase. 

Now that I am starting to learn Greek, I would like to have them available, but I really don't want to take up space of all of my disk drives or be in my library.

I had considered creating a second Logos account solely for Perseus.  I realize that my Greek tools won't be available, but at least I can get to the text.  Is there a better strategy?

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 29 2014 2:20 PM

David A Egolf:
I had considered creating a second Logos account solely for Perseus.  I realize that my Greek tools won't be available, but at least I can get to the text.  Is there a better strategy?

If you actually want to use them, I suggest you get them in your main account.  This will enable you to use them alongside your Biblical Greek texts, and use the Logos tools as they were meant to be used. You can always "hide" them later using the Logos hide function if you find them annoying.

The Perseus Classics collection includes both Greek and Latin works, plus English translations.  You can specifically hide the Latin works after you download them if you don't want them  (filter your library using: perseus language:latin, select all the listed resources, then CTRL+right-click on the list, and select "Hide these resources").

If you find that the Perseus resources are cluttering up your search results, I would suggest you create collections that specifically exclude them, and use those collections when searching (I find targeted searching using collections to be more useful in general).

I've actually hidden the entire set, and then I only unhid the few I actually wanted to use.  Unhiding isn't easy though, since Logos has not given us a good interface to find and select hidden resources. 

Having said all that...I think that having a second account to use to browse the Perseus resources actually sounds like a good idea.  You could access that second account through an online access tool like the biblia.com website or the Noet mobile app, and you wouldn't even have to download them to your desktop PC.  I may do that just to see which ones I might want to make available in my main account when I'm wondering what I'm missing by having them hidden.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 762
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 29 2014 3:15 PM

Thanks for your response Todd.  Do you use tablets?  I am a heavy user of iPad and Android for reading and note taking.  Usually, I use a filter to search my library for resources, so I don't think the large number of visible Perseus resources will become a problem.  Do you think that will be the case?

Posts 1031
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 29 2014 3:39 PM

I found it got annoying on my iPad and hid the lot...

Note hiding is a terrible library management strategy and is only designed for books you plan never to see again. Recovering books you have hidden takes a long time and or an automated clicking script if you don't have a spare 10 hrs.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 29 2014 4:07 PM

David A Egolf:
Thanks for your response Todd.  Do you use tablets?  I am a heavy user of iPad and Android for reading and note taking.  Usually, I use a filter to search my library for resources, so I don't think the large number of visible Perseus resources will become a problem.  Do you think that will be the case?

I don't think it's a problem, especially if you use the "Recent" view on the mobile devices, which my iPad stays on.  Even on the desktop, it's not really a problem if you're already used to having a large library that's not really browseable by scrolling.  I DID save a bunch of space by hiding it, but that's a separate issue.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS