Logos 5.3 Beta 3 (5.3.0.1161) now available

Page 1 of 5 (89 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 88 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 8 2014 3:23 PM

5.3 Beta 3 (5.3.0.1161) is available for testing.

To update to Beta 3, enter the Update Now command if you’ve switched to the beta channel before, or enter the Set Update Channel to Beta command if you’re on a stable version (such as 5.2b SR-5). To install Beta 3 from scratch, see the notes and download links on this thread.

Release Notes

Dylan Rondeau, Software Tester

Enable Logging: Mac | Windows (Right-click "Save As...")

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 8 2014 3:35 PM

the notes say that once set you cannot change your kindle.com address but each of my devices has a different address so that if I got a new Kindle it would have a new address, but you suggest that I could not change my linked Kindle device, even if my old one stopped working, Am I missing something here?

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 8 2014 3:57 PM

I think the answer to this is Personal Document Archiving. Here's Amazon's description:

Personal Document Archiving

When this option is enabled, personal documents sent to your Send-to-Kindle e-mail address will also be added to your Kindle library.

Here's my scenario (and how it could apply to you):

• I have two devices, a Kindle Fire and the Kindle app on my Android phone.
  • The Kindle Fire is assigned "dylan@kindle.com". The phone app is assigned "dylan1@kindle.com".
  • I register "dylan@kindle.com" in Logos, and send a book.
  • Somehow, through crazy Amazon magic (Document Archiving), I'm able to download and view the book on both my Kindle Fire and my phone.

This does work, as I just tested it before writing this post. A couple other things to note:

• You can deregister old devices from the Manage Your Content and Devices page
  • You can edit the Send to Kindle email address assigned to devices, so if you deregister an old device, you can give the new one the old address.

Hope that clarifies things! Smile

Dylan Rondeau, Software Tester

Enable Logging: Mac | Windows (Right-click "Save As...")

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 8 2014 4:00 PM

Seems that personal books can't be sent to the Kindle?

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 8 2014 4:01 PM

Changing the email address on your preferred device seems to work a treat.

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 8 2014 4:03 PM

many books it seems cant yet be sent to kindle. of the first 10 I checked, only one could be sent.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 13369
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 8 2014 4:26 PM

abondservant:

many books it seems cant yet be sent to kindle. of the first 10 I checked, only one could be sent.

I have about 80-90% of my library available as "Send to Kindle". Pretty much everything apart from books with lots of images, brand new resources, books not available on mobile devices and PBs.

It really is a wonderful feature, far better than I expected. That's because I get the full text of the Bible references in my Kindle book. I never thought that was going to be possible.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 8 2014 6:41 PM

Mark Barnes:
That's because I get the full text of the Bible references in my Kindle book.

can you post a screenshot?

Posts 1383
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 8 2014 8:32 PM

Where do I find "send to kindle"?

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 27805
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 8 2014 9:33 PM

Ben:
Where do I find "send to kindle"?

The resource's info panel... If it is currently available to "send to kindle."

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 13369
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 9 2014 2:06 AM

toughski:
can you post a screenshot?

I don't have my Kindle with me right now. But here's are screenshot from the Kindle app on my iPhone.

The first is from TDNT (Abridged). Note that Bible references are underlined. The second is what I see when I tap on Rev 17:12. It takes me to another location in the resource that contains all the Bible references. I can tap again on the underlined link to get back to where I was. In some resources you get a pop-up footnote instead of taking you to the end, which is even better. I don't know why sometimes you get one, and sometimes you get the other.

And here's a photo I took previously of the NA28:

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 9 2014 3:31 AM

I am not sure how well this will work. If you buy a Kindle book, it is readily available to send to any device at any time. I have an iPod, iPad, and iPhone. All are registered at Amazon, as are older versions of these devices. Each has a different email address to send to.

So does this feature's implementation imply I can only pick one device to send to, and once I do that it can't be changed? What if I want to read a book on both my iPad and iPhone, is this impossible? What happens when I replace my iPad if that is my one Kindle device of choice, does the feature go away forever?

This feature looks promising, but IMHO it needs a considerable improvement in devices supported to be practical. I would humbly suggest looking at the way Amazon supports it - people have many devices, send it to any and all devices based on your choice.

Posts 1511
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 9 2014 3:45 AM

Don Awalt:

So does this feature's implementation imply I can only pick one device to send to, and once I do that it can't be changed? What if I want to read a book on both my iPad and iPhone, is this impossible? What happens when I replace my iPad if that is my one Kindle device of choice, does the feature go away forever?

As long as you have Personal Document Archiving turned on in your Amazon account, anything you send to one device will be available for download on other devices as well. For example, I set my Verbum kindle account to the normal Kindle. Then, when I open the Kindle app on my other device, the books appear there as well. They just don't automatically download. But once you open the book once within the Kindle app on the Android/Apple device, it downloads.

Certainly not the absolute best solution, but very workable most of the time. 

Posts 27805
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 9 2014 4:34 AM

Don Awalt:
What if I want to read a book on both my iPad and iPhone, is this impossible?

Why in the world would anyone want to send a resource to the kindle APP? Using the Logos apps would be much more advantageous and you wouldn't have to go through all this hassle. The point is to send the resource to a kindle eInk device! 

Posts 13369
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 9 2014 4:35 AM

Don Awalt:
hat if I want to read a book on both my iPad and iPhone, is this impossible?

No, there's no problem, as you can see from the screenshots above, I can access my Logos books on the Kindle app, and on my Kindle proper. The device you choose will have the book automatically download. For other devices you'll have to go into your cloud library and manually download the resource. This is exactly the same as what happens when you purchase a Kindle book.

This works so long as you have Document Storage in the Cloud turned on (it is by default). This used to be called Personal Document Archiving, but recently Amazon bumped up the storage very significantly, an moved document archiving into their cloud drive service.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 9 2014 7:52 AM

alabama24:
Why in the world would anyone want to send a resource to the kindle APP? Using the Logos apps would be much more advantageous and you wouldn't have to go through all this hassle. The point is to send the resource to a kindle eInk device! 

Yes exactly what I was thinking! Yes

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 9 2014 8:51 AM

abondservant:

You might want to wait about 3-5 seconds for the "Send to Kindle" option to populate to the information panel. I am noticing that there is a delay for it displaying on several resources.

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 171
John Eggen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 9 2014 9:25 AM

I see a lot of questions about send to Kindle, which I also have and am excited to test out.

I wanted to take a moment and just say how excited I am to see this feature. I love having my resources in Logos but strongly prefer reading on my Kindle and am so excited to have this new "Send to Kindle" Feature. Even if not all books can be sent, I'll take what I can get!

Thank you Logos for continuing to push the envelope on helping us as users have universal access to the resources we own!

Posts 27805
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 9 2014 9:37 AM

John Eggen:

I wanted to take a moment and just say how excited I am to see this feature. I love having my resources in Logos but strongly prefer reading on my Kindle and am so excited to have this new "Send to Kindle" Feature. Even if not all books can be sent, I'll take what I can get!

Thank you Logos for continuing to push the envelope on helping us as users have universal access to the resources we own!

+1

I love the Logos apps on my iPad, and when I want to highlight and take notes in resources, it is the best way to go. There are times, however, when I just want to read... The original kindle is idea. Even at the beach. 

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 9 2014 10:01 AM

Yes I with you. Love this!

Page 1 of 5 (89 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS