How the new Logos works with Kindle

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 30 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 3691
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 11 2014 7:05 AM

I have been reading on threads that have started a long time before the new Logos 5.3 kindle integration came out and consequently contain a mound of information no longer relevant.

I thought I would start a new thread to ask those who are using currently 5.3 beta with a kindle to describe, for those of us who are now thinking seriously about getting one, what the new feature does, its known limitations, how well it is working at this point, etc. 

Posts 8079
LogosEmployee

If you haven't seen it already, there is quite a bit of information (including photos of Kindles) at: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/91816.aspx 

Posts 4655
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 11 2014 7:40 AM

I can tell you a few things:

1. You do not have to have a Kindle to use this. You can use it with the Kindle app for android and ios.

2. It basically sends the book to your kindle reader in a format Kindle understands. Be aware that many but not all resources in your library have this feature. When testing started there were a little more than 100. Now some have reported that as much as 80% of the books they have tried to send have the feature.

3. I would think the real value of this feature is for those who have a kindle that is strictly a reader (i.e. PaperWhite). If you have an android device (Kindle Fire, Fire HD and HDX and above have a modified version of android) or an ios device then why not just run the Logos app?

I have tested this feature with several resources and it works well for simply reading a book. However I run the Logos app on my ipad so I do not see this as a feature I would use a lot.

Posts 9101
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 11 2014 7:46 AM

Fredc:

3. I would think the real value of this feature is for those who have a kindle that is strictly a reader (i.e. PaperWhite). If you have an android device (Kindle Fire, Fire HD and HDX and above have a modified version of android) or an ios device then why not just run the Logos app?

I have tested this feature with several resources and it works well for simply reading a book. However I run the Logos app on my ipad so I do not see this as a feature I would use a lot.

That is my observation as well. It is specifically for those who don't have access to one of the Logos reader apps or who also have a Kindle and prefer to read on that device.

Now what I want is a Send to Logos feature. Big Smile

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3691
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 11 2014 8:01 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

If you haven't seen it already, there is quite a bit of information (including photos of Kindles) at: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/91816.aspx 

There is a screenshot that shows that Greek displays correctly. What about Hebrew? Also, does the kindle dictionary work on Logos books sent to it?

Posts 1896
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 13 2014 9:30 AM

Mark Smith:
Now what I want is a Send to Logos feature.

Yes!!!

-Donnie

Posts 3065
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 14 2014 6:18 AM

Francis:

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

There is a screenshot that shows that Greek displays correctly. What about Hebrew? Also, does the kindle dictionary work on Logos books sent to it?

I haven't tried Hebrew yet, but yes the Kindle dictionary functions with these books.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 14 2014 6:41 AM

Donnie Hale:

Mark Smith:
Now what I want is a Send to Logos feature.

Yes!!!

-Donnie

Um.  unless I misunderstand it's already present in the info panel of the library, send it to your logos reader.

OR

Personal books.

Or I'm coffee deprived.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 3691
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 14 2014 7:08 AM

TCBlack:
Or I'm coffee deprived.

Yep! They mean, tongue-in-cheek, sending Kindle resources to Logos (not the other way around)!

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 14 2014 7:24 AM

This is from "HEBREW FOR READING COMPREHENSION". I used the send to Kindle feature. Seems to work fine.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 14 2014 7:25 AM

Coffee
                   Coffee
               Coffee
                   Coffee

Coffee                                  Coffee
Coffee                                  CoffeeCoffeeCoffeeCoffeeCoffee
Coffee                                  CoffeeCoffee            Coffee
Coffee                                  CoffeeCoffee            Coffee
Coffee                                  CoffeeCoffee          Coffee
Coffee                                  CoffeeCoffeeCoffeeCoffee
CoffeeCoffeeCoffeeCoffeeCoffeeCoffeeCoffeeCoffeeCoffee

Problem Solved

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 14 2014 7:34 AM

Here is Coptic and Sahidic as well.

Posts 3691
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 14 2014 9:41 AM

Great screenshots! Very useful indeed. Thanks!

Posts 13369
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 14 2014 1:59 PM

Francis:
I thought I would start a new thread to ask those who are using currently 5.3 beta with a kindle to describe, for those of us who are now thinking seriously about getting one, what the new feature does, its known limitations, how well it is working at this point, etc. 

As others have described, the new feature works really well. The only limitations I'm aware of are:

1. Not all books are available (though most are). The general rule is that a book can be sent to Kindle if (a) it's available on mobile devices, and (b) it doesn't contain hundreds of pictures.
  2. You don't get book covers.

Formatting is generally excellent, though one or two have reporting some bad formatting. Bible text is added to books, so you can tap on scripture references and read the scripture.

FWIW, I bought a Kindle paperwhite to use this feature (I was previously using a Nook Glowlight and the cumbersome export procedure). I'm really glad I got it.

Posts 1896
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 6:46 AM

Mark Barnes:
As others have described, the new feature works really well.

I haven't seen this mentioned, Mark. If the Logos book has page numbers, does the Kindle version have them, too?

Thanks,

Donnie

Posts 3691
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 6:52 AM

Donnie Hale:
If the Logos book has page numbers, does the Kindle version have them, too?

Please tell me that it is so. The lack of page numbers in many Kindle books is such a liability.

Posts 3065
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 9:12 AM

Donnie Hale:

Mark Barnes:
As others have described, the new feature works really well.

I haven't seen this mentioned, Mark. If the Logos book has page numbers, does the Kindle version have them, too?

Thanks,

Donnie

No, this is a limitation of Amazon.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 13369
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 9:34 AM

David Taylor Jr:
No, this is a limitation of Amazon.

It would be possible for Logos to insert page numbers permanently in a Kindle resource (like the visual filter), but they don't do that. Personally, that's fine with me, as when I'm reading on a Kindle I'm reading not studiyng. Perhaps that might be an option they might consider though.

Posts 3691
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 9:43 AM

Just want to make sure I understood this right: Logos books exported to kindle DO NOT have page numbers.

If that is so, this is disappointing: for those of us who 1) have loads of reading to do for research purposes and 2) need to cite frequently, kindle "locations" are simply not adequate. It's okay as an occasional citation in college, but IT IS NOT in scholarly publications. Indeed, there are problems -- which I have already brought to the attention of Amazon -- with their location system, namely, that many books cross-reference to previous or subsequent sections using page numbers, which you can't find if you only have locations. 

Of course, Logos users will be able to refer to their Logos resource to get page numbers (which is far better than the case when the only version of a book you have is in Kindle). Still, it would have been nice to have the page numbers in the titles exported to Kindle. Perhaps in future editions?

Posts 1896
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 11:07 AM

Mark Barnes:
It would be possible for Logos to insert page numbers permanently in a Kindle resource (like the visual filter), but they don't do that. Personally, that's fine with me, as when I'm reading on a Kindle I'm reading not studiyng. Perhaps that might be an option they might consider though.

Thanks for the answer, Mark (and others). Follow-up: Can you use normal Kindle highlighting on these "sent-to" resources? I'm specifically thinking of how I can note where I want to return in Logos to add a highlight or note. Without page numbers, this would seem to be the best recourse to find such locations of interest to account for in Logos.

Donnie

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS