Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 217
Dudley C Rose | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 11 2014 7:43 AM

The ability to 'send to Kindle' is incredible and very valuable. The one question I have is navigating something like a Bible. I use the Kindle outdoors, say in Israel, since it's light and easier to read than a tablet. I sent the NRSV to Kindle, and it is very well done. The only problem I'm having is that the TOC is broken into chapters and Pericope Headings and doesn't seem to be collapsible. It takes 8 or 9 pages just to get through Genesis in the TOC, which makes navigating via the TOC a real pain. Am I missing something? 

Also, the small letter footnotes that gloss words here and there don't seem to have their content. The note pops up, but there's nothing in it.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 13 2014 12:46 PM

I'm just bumping this.  But the question is a good one; my other Kindle Bibles have this major challenge too (sold by Amazon; not Logos).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 29471
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 13 2014 1:33 PM

Denise:
my other Kindle Bibles have this major challenge too (sold by Amazon; not Logos).

...which is why the Logos apps are superior to Kindle. The main advantage of the "send to kindle" feature is to be able to read books from "cover to cover." Performing "research" kinds of tasks, or jumping from "place to place" will always be a challenge.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1526
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 14 2014 12:26 AM

Denise:

I'm just bumping this.  But the question is a good one; my other Kindle Bibles have this major challenge too (sold by Amazon; not Logos).

Some Kindle Bibles have fantastic navigation. Check out the ESV, for example, which uses the "Index" link to allow you to immediately navigate to any chapter and verse, and also uses the system I propose below.

The Index system might be a bit complicated for Faithlife to program. 

It might be relatively easy, however, for Faithlife to program Bibles to create a table of contents that only includes the names of the books of the Bible. Then, when you navigate to a book, at the very beginning of the book are a few lines like this, with hyperlinks to the chapters:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Posts 3297
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 14 2014 6:15 AM

alabama24:

Denise:
my other Kindle Bibles have this major challenge too (sold by Amazon; not Logos).

...which is why the Logos apps are superior to Kindle. The main advantage of the "send to kindle" feature is to be able to read books from "cover to cover." Performing "research" kinds of tasks, or jumping from "place to place" will always be a challenge.

Jumping from place to place shouldn't be a challenge.  This just means Logos doesn't have the file formatted right that goes to the Kindle.  There is no reason you shouldn't have a working TOC that would be collapsible on a paperwhite or other kindle.  The Kindle is able to go off of headings, etc.  So somewhere in the conversion of the books Logos has formatted something incorrectly.  This is really the only complaint I have so far with the send to kindle feature, and I would think it would be a relatively easy fix.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 24
Peter Montoro | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 23 2014 7:43 AM

I agree. I have created books with a proper table of contents many times in Calibre. All that you need to do is tell the ebook generator that section titles are h1, chapter titles are h2, etc, and then tell it to go off the headings when it creates the table of contents. Would make it a whole lot more useable! 

Posts 3297
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 10:55 AM

Faithlife team do we have any updates on this?

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS