New Feature: Case Frames Guide Section

Page 3 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 46 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 5
Van Parunak | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 1 2015 2:48 PM

What difference is indicated by the presence or absence of square brackets around a case names? For example, with προσκυνεω, the case tool distinguishes Agt-Exp from Agt-[Exp]. I'd expect that this means that the Experiencer is latent, not expressed, in the bracketed examples, but I can't see such a difference with προσκυνεω.

Posts 26104
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 1 2015 3:17 PM

The majority of instances of ἀκούω (akouō) are Experiencer—Content or Experiencer—[Content]. In Experiencer—Content instances, the Content is explicitly stated, whereas in the Experiencer—[Content] instances the Content is implied or stated in the surrounding context. An example of the first clause type is Matt 13:18:

Thompson, Jeremy. The Lexham Glossary of Semantic Roles. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2014.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3646
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 4:55 AM

Van Parunak:

What difference is indicated by the presence or absence of square brackets around a case names? For example, with προσκυνεω, the case tool distinguishes Agt-Exp from Agt-[Exp]. I'd expect that this means that the Experiencer is latent, not expressed, in the bracketed examples, but I can't see such a difference with προσκυνεω.

The example from the NASB translation of Matthew 28:17 can illustrate that a bit: "When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some were doubtful." "Him" is not actually stated in the verse, but to worship implies that someone/something is worshiped (the experiencer) whether it is stated or not. Since in this case, it is not stated, the case frame has [Exp] instead of Exp. 

What difference does it make? Well, when it says that Jacob worshiped at the head of his bed (Gen 47:31), the emphasis falls on the fact that he worshiped not who he worshiped. If the experiencer (God) was stated, there would be greater emphasis on whom is being worshiped. 

This can be illustrated in the following examples:

"Christians worship" -- those who know Christians know they worship YHWH but stated as it is, it is only an activity. In that sense, Christians are like Muslims, or Jews. They too worship.

"Christians worship Jesus" -- identifies who is worshiped by whom. In that sense, Christians would not be like Jews. Different emphasis.

Posts 78
Operation Evangelism | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 21 2015 1:09 PM

Rokas:
somehow I never noticed this (or was this implemented in Logos 6?),

This was available in Logos 5.

If this was available in 5, I just upgraded with the core to 6 and I found a Case Frames section doing a Word Study Guide, but there are no results for the same word and book selection given at the top of this thread. I tried selecting various Greek testaments and still get no results. What would be the steps to recreate this same example? Do I need to be in a different guide? Do I need to point it to a specific resource in the Case Frames settings?

Noting that I had 5.0 Silver and just got the engine core upgrade for 6.0, did I lose this feature in the upgrade? I was seeing many people saying you would not lose features. Did this one miss out in the upgrade?

Thanks!

Chris

Posts 5
Randy Sandford | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 2 2015 4:59 PM

Excellent and clear explanation.

Posts 26104
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 2 2015 6:26 PM

Semantic role coding and case frames are new to Logos 6. The datasets required for them are in base packages at the Gold level and above.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 2 2015 6:36 PM

The Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade also has the datasets for case frames.

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Page 3 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS