Disappointment with Logos 6 Atlas and Maps

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 25 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 5 2015 12:18 PM

I understand the constraints you're under. Just hoping that things will get considerably better. I very strongly hope that you manage to vectorize map data. It would make a world of difference (pardon the pun).

If you look at the marketing, the user concludes from the map that Jesus took an exceptional route. Actually, nothing in the map or the annotation indicates this.

Posts 955
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 5 2015 12:37 PM

Lee:

If you look at the marketing, the user concludes from the map that Jesus took an exceptional route. Actually, nothing in the map or the annotation indicates this.

You're right that the map itself doesn't indicate the contrast between this route through Samaria, and the more typical route that avoided it (which you can see in the continuation of this travel on Jesus' Last Trip to Jerusalem, Up to the Triumphal Entry, where the event Jesus is rejected at at a Samaritan Village [presumably Ginae] causes a detour, presumably to the east along the Jordan River.)

There's actually quite a bit of commentary that could go along with each one of these maps, illustrating particular historical or geographic details that the text doesn't necessarily explain: I hope we'll create such a product in the future! But for now, our focus is on clearly indicating what the text says and what reasonable scholarship can infer about the actual locations of biblical places and events, and associated travel routes.

Posts 2
James Grohs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 5 2015 1:30 PM

The bottom line is really this with regard to maps and the Atlas feature (and the story-oriented approach are good approaches):

If I am teaching out of any chapter in the entire Bible, I would like to type the chapter into the Atlas and get a map. That map need not be anything other that a map of Italy showing were Rome is (if I am teaching out of Romans) and perhaps where Paul was when he wrote the book. Not always possible; Hebrews, Song of Songs, for example) But if a Psalm was written at a particular time and place where a map would be useful the place should come up. If in Revelation, I type in "Rev 3) a map of the 7 cities should come up. Rev 16 should show where the big battle will take place (if anyone actually knows). Finding maps that fit is a big challenge which is why Logos has taken so long to address it. Paging through map sets and hope something is available is what we are trying to get away from.

Of course, it would still be nice to type in a city, mountain, lake, country into something and have it show up on a map, but that is secondary to doing as I say above-- to set all of the scripture into its physical context through easy access to appropriate maps.

My main concern with my complaint at this point is whether I was missing something or whether there was still more that needs to be done.

Posts 955
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 5 2015 1:59 PM

James Grohs:

The bottom line is really this with regard to maps and the Atlas feature (and the story-oriented approach are good approaches):

If I am teaching out of any chapter in the entire Bible, I would like to type the chapter into the Atlas and get a map. That map need not be anything other that a map of Italy showing were Rome is (if I am teaching out of Romans) and perhaps where Paul was when he wrote the book. Not always possible; Hebrews, Song of Songs, for example) But if a Psalm was written at a particular time and place where a map would be useful the place should come up. If in Revelation, I type in "Rev 3) a map of the 7 cities should come up. Rev 16 should show where the big battle will take place (if anyone actually knows). Finding maps that fit is a big challenge which is why Logos has taken so long to address it. Paging through map sets and hope something is available is what we are trying to get away from.

Of course, it would still be nice to type in a city, mountain, lake, country into something and have it show up on a map, but that is secondary to doing as I say above-- to set all of the scripture into its physical context through easy access to appropriate maps.

My main concern with my complaint at this point is whether I was missing something or whether there was still more that needs to be done.

These are good suggestions. Our current plan is to provide a map for each biblical passage (primarily narratives) that needs one: that would include most everything that references a place name, but not most chapters from Romans.

You can currently enter various place names and find maps that include them as relevant to the story: for example, here are maps where the Sea of Galilee is part of the story (which again is far fewer than every map that includes the Sea of Galilee).

The Bible Book information in Factbook includes a media overview of each book: here's the one for Romans, which has a map showing Rome and several other important NT cities.

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 5 2015 6:47 PM

Sean Boisen:

There's actually quite a bit of commentary that could go along with each one of these maps, illustrating particular historical or geographic details that the text doesn't necessarily explain: I hope we'll create such a product in the future!

I apologize, Sean, if this comes across as facetious: the marketing video sets up the expectation. Otherwise, we're good to go with Maps.

I feel like someone who has financed some piling, when I was sold a house.

Posts 1641
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 9 2015 11:53 AM

Occasionally I come across maps in the web that are sort of interactive, and often they are difficult of impossible to use,  or hopelessly slow (even if they were developed under some big organizations). Compared to that the Logos maps are quite good and usable, but I still look forward for an ultimate map feature.

GMI has some mapping competence, maybe co-operation with them could be useful? http://www.gmi.org/ 

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS