The real Logos challenge

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 673
Jim | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 31 2014 11:22 AM

I'm retired living on Social Security and savings. I substitute preach occasionally and teach and write as much as I am able. Since I study the Bible regularly I use Logos almost every day. However I just can't afford the huge price tags of the upgrades Logos keep pushing at me. Neither have I been able to recommend Logos to anyone I know because of the steep package prices.

Since I spent a lot of years in the tech industry, I understand that every company must create and market new products to stay in business. But Logos seems like the Cable and Movie industry. I can't order a selection of cable channels I want but have to buy the packages that best suit the cable company's profit model. Of course I can get individual programs at the theater or by buying the CD but then forfeit any package discount. I have 3001 Logos resources already (many purchased by a large church I used to work for), but use only a small number of them so I really don't need more big packages. I would like from time to time to buy a package of my choosing. It would also be nice if Logos could reduce prices for retired people and perhaps ones who have been loyal past customers but I understand the difficulty of doing that.

Furthermore it's only a matter of time before Logos will make my resources incompatible with new ones as was done when we went from version 3 to 4. At this point it seems like its a race to see if I die before that date.

I sympathize with Logos' need to market their products as they see fit and am not suggesting the least bit of malevolence on their part, but I find the constant pressure to upgrade to packages containing a lot of stuff I won't use to be a test of character. Can I give up my innate desire to not be left behind and to have the latest stuff?  I suppose I could thank Logos for the test, but I'm not there yet.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 11:30 AM

Jim:
Furthermore it's only a matter of time before Logos will make my resources incompatible with new ones as was done when we went from version 3 to 4. At this point it seems like its a race to see if I die before that date.

And yet, Jim, all the resources available in L3 are also available in L4 and beyond, right? At least I'm not aware of anything that didn't make the transition.

Also, you know that the free engine (with no added functionality) will be available in February, right? That's free, as in no charge.

There is no reason to buy new resources, if you don't think you'll use them, so don't feel any pressure from Logos, or anyone else to buy, when there's nothing of real value to you. You may have no need to expand your current library. In that case you should not feel a need to do so.

Jim:
Can I give up my innate desire to not be left behind and to have the latest stuff?  I suppose I could thank Logos for the test, but I'm not there yet.

If you do resist this temptation, or the degree to which you do, you could then use yourself as a sermon illustration. Wink

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1034
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 11:33 AM

I do not understand why you say they made resources incompatible when they went from versions 3 to 4, all but a handful of video products moved to Logos 4 without any further cost and the Logos 4 engine was free. What is more most of these old resources can now (at no extra cost) be used on mobile devices that were never even envisaged when they were originally brought. One thing Logos does is future proof your investment for free.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 11:34 AM

Jim:
However I just can't afford the huge price tags of the upgrades Logos keep pushing at me.

You do not have to upgrade if you don't want to L5 will continue to work. In fact there are still many using Libronix (L3).

Jim:
I have 3001 Logos resources already (many purchased by a large church I used to work for), but use only a small number of them so I really don't need more big packages.

Many resources can be purchased individually, but many can also be purchased in a variety of bundles (these are different than base packages). Also keep in mind that you can purchase a smaller base package in L6 and still retain all of your current resources.

Jim:
Furthermore it's only a matter of time before Logos will make my resources incompatible with new ones as was done when we went from version 3 to 4.

Some resources may not be compatible with the newer datasets and features, but all the resources you have in L3 should still work. They may not be compatible with newer features, but they should still work as they did in L3.

Jim:
I find the constant pressure to upgrade to packages containing a lot of stuff I won't use to be a test of character. Can I give up my innate desire to not be left behind and to have the latest stuff?  I suppose I could thank Logos for the test, but I'm not there yet.

They will market their products like every other company does because so many cannot resist the pressureWink

Posts 79
LogosEmployee
Jeff Jackson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 11:41 AM

Jim:

This is a common misunderstanding.  While it's true the file formats changed going from Libronix to Logos 4, you were able to update the software and still retain all your resources at no charge.  We do not deprecate resources.  Now, of course, you wouldn't have gotten all the nifty new features we come out with on each new release.  Logos 6 had something like 2 or 3 times more new features than Logos 5 did.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 12:01 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
And yet, Jim, all the resources available in L3 are also available in L4 and beyond, right? At least I'm not aware of anything that didn't make the transition.

Some audio resources  from the Libronix eNelson collections do not work in Logos 4.  Also, there are reports the Cross TV videos do not work in Logos 6. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 12:04 PM

Super.Tramp:
Some audio resources  from the Libronix eNelson collections do not work in Logos 4.  Also, there are reports the Cross TV videos do not work in Logos 6.

I had forgotten about those. The other thing I remembered were lost were the hundreds of PBB's that had been collected - many of them by TC Black on StillTruth.org. I'm not sure how many of those eventually made into L4/5/6 PB's, but many eventually did.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS