Visual Filters for Names & Personal Pronouns?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1195
Liam | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 2 2014 7:47 AM

I would like to highlight the names and personal pronouns of the family line of Jesus so that as I read the OT I can see which individuals were in Jesus' ancestry. Is there a way of doing this with the visual filter tool? I know the clause tool can detect each person mentioned in the Bible anywhere they are mentioned, but is there a way to apply this to a visual filter? I would also prefer only to highlight the name or pronoun, and not the entire verse or sentence that the person is mentioned. Is this possible?

Thank you!

Posts 4768
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 11:31 AM

I played with a couple of things but could not get it to work. There are some on the forums who are Visual Filter guru's who may see this thread and have a solution. I am not sure if this is possible or not. If it is I could not figure it out.

Posts 13398
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 12:27 PM

Liam:
Is there a way of doing this with the visual filter tool?

Yes, you can do this in Logos 6, but constructing the filter is a bit laborious.

1. Open your Bible to Luke 3, or Matthew 1, or wherever you're going to get the line from. (I'll use Luke 3 in my example.)
  2. Create a search (visual filter doesn't have the new autocomplete yet).
  3. Type the name of the first person you want, and select him from the list. Make sure you select the suggestion with the person icon.
  4. Type a comma and space, then do the same of the next person.
  5. For some people, (e.g. Levi), the autocompleter may not suggest the right person. You can encourage it by typing <Person Levi instead. In fact, you may find it quicker to have ", <Person " (without the quotes) on the clipboard.
  6. Note that sometimes spelling can vary (e.g. "Melki" in the NIV is "Melchi" in Logos). If you can't find someone you can always right-click on their name in Matthew/Luke to check.
  7. Repeat a lot Smile.
  8. When you run the search, check all the people in Luke 3/Matthew 1 are highlighted and you haven't missed anyone.

When you're happy with the search, click on the search menu and choose "Save as visual filter".

Posts 13398
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 12:54 PM

I though this was quite an interesting thing to do, so here's the code for Luke 3.

<Person Joseph (husband of Mary)>,  <Person Heli>, <Person Matthat (grandfather of Joseph)>, <Person Levi (great-grandfather of Joseph)>, <Person Melchi (ancestor of Jesus)>, <Person Melchi (son of Jannai)>, <Person Jannai>, <Person Joseph (Lk. 3:24)>, <Person Mattathias (son of Amos)>, <Person Amos (ancestor of Jesus)>, <Person Nahum (son of Esli)>, <Person Naggai>, <Person Maath>, <Person Mattathias (son of Semein)>, <Person Semein>, <Person Josech>, <Person Joda>, <Person Joanan>, <Person Rhesa>, <Person Zerubbabel>, <Person Shealtiel>, <Person Neri>, <Person Melchi (ancestor of Jesus)>, <Person Addi>, <Person Cosam>, <Person Elmadam>, <Person Er (ancestor of Jesus)>, <Person Jesus (son of Eliezer)>, <Person Eliezer (ancestor of Jesus)>, <Person Jorim>, <Person Matthat (ancestor of Jesus)>, <Person Levi (ancestor of Jesus)>, <Person Simeon (ancestor of Jesus)>, <Person Judas (ancestor of Jesus)>, <Person Joseph (Lk. 3:30)>, <Person Jonam>, <Person Eliakim (Lk. 3:30)>, <Person Melea>, <Person Menna>, <Person Mattatha>, <Person Nathan (son of David)>, <Person David>, <Person Jesse>, <Person Obed (son of Ruth)>, <Person Boaz>, <Person Salmon>, <Person Nahshon>, <Person Amminadab (father of Nahshon)>, <Person Admin>, <Person Arni>, <Person Hezron (son of Perez)>, <Person Perez>, <Person Judah (son of Jacob)>, <Person Jacob (son of Isaac)>, <Person Isaac>, <Person Abraham>, <Person Terah (father of Abraham)>, <Person Nahor (grandfather of Abraham)>, <Person Serug>, <Person Reu>, <Person Peleg>, <Person Eber (descendant of Shem)>, <Person Shelah (son of Arpachshad)>, <Person Cainan>, <Person Arpachshad>, <Person Shem>, <Person Noah (builder of ark)>, <Person Lamech (father of Noah)>, <Person Methuselah>, <Person Enoch (son of Jared)>, <Person Jared>, <Person Mahalalel (descendant of Seth)>, <Person Kenan>, <Person Enosh>, <Person Seth>, <Person Adam (first man)>

And these are those in Matthew 1, not already included in Luke.

<Person Ram (ancestor of David)>, <Person Solomon>, <Person Rehoboam>, <Person Abijah (son of Rehoboam)>, <Person Asa (king of Judah)>, <Person Jehoshaphat (king)>, <Person Jehoram (king)>, <Person Uzziah (king)>, <Person Jotham (king)>, <Person Ahaz (king)>, <Person Hezekiah (son of Ahaz)>, <Person Manasseh (son of Hezekiah)>, <Person Amon (king)>, <Person Josiah (king of Judah)>, <Person Jehoiachin>, <Person Abiud>, <Person Eliakim (Mt. 1:13)>, <Person Azor>, <Person Zadok (ancestor of Jesus)>, <Person Achim>, <Person Eliud>, <Person Eleazar (ancestor of Jesus)>, <Person Matthan>, <Person Jacob (ancestor of Egypt)>

If you were going to do it 'properly', you'd have to look at the OT ancestor charts to fill in the gaps left by Luke and Matthew.

It highlights more than you'd expect, as it includes all the pronouns:

Posts 9138
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 1:05 PM

Nice job, Mark, and interesting question in the first place. Yes

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1195
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 3:19 PM

Mark this is excellent! Thanks a ton!

Posts 2205
LogosEmployee

Very cool search, Mark!

Here's my list. It's got 65 people more than Mark's list. I retrieved this by taking all the people listed in Luke 3:23-38 and Matthew 1:1-17. Then I used Relatives data (exposed in the Factbook) to iteratively find all the Parents, Fathers, Mothers, Grandfathers, and Grandmothers of those people.

<Person Zerah (son of Judah)>, <Person Tamar (daughter-in-law of Judah)>, <Person Judah (son of Jacob)>, <Person Leah>, <Person Laban (father of Rachel)>, <Person Wife of Bethuel>, <Person Bethuel (father of Rebekah)>, <Person Milcah (wife of Nahor)>, <Person Haran (brother of Abraham)>, <Person Terah (father of Abraham)>, <Person Nahor (grandfather of Abraham)>, <Person Serug>, <Person Reu>, <Person Peleg>, <Person Eber (descendant of Shem)>, <Person Shelah (son of Arpachshad)>, <Person Arpachshad>, <Person Shem>, <Person Wife of Noah>, <Person Noah (builder of ark)>, <Person Lamech (father of Noah)>, <Person Methuselah>, <Person Enoch (son of Jared)>, <Person Jared>, <Person Mahalalel (descendant of Seth)>, <Person Kenan>, <Person Enosh>, <Person Seth>, <Person Eve>, <Person Adam (first man)>, <Person Jacob (son of Isaac)>, <Person Rebekah>, <Person Isaac>, <Person Sarah>, <Person Abraham>, <Person Uriah (Bathsheba’s husband)>, <Person Rahab (prostitute)>, <Person Ruth>, <Person Joseph (husband of Mary)>, <Person Jacob (ancestor of Egypt)>, <Person Matthan>, <Person Eleazar (ancestor of Jesus)>, <Person Eliud>, <Person Achim>, <Person Zadok (ancestor of Jesus)>, <Person Azor>, <Person Eliakim (Mt. 1:13)>, <Person Abiud>, <Person Zerubbabel>, <Person Shealtiel>, <Person Jehoiachin>, <Person Nehushta>, <Person Elnathan (grandfather of Jehoiachin)>, <Person Jehoiakim (king)>, <Person Zebidah>, <Person Pedaiah (grandfather of Jehoiakim)>, <Person Josiah (king of Judah)>, <Person Jedidah>, <Person Adaiah (father of Jedidah)>, <Person Amon (king)>, <Person Meshullemeth>, <Person Haruz>, <Person Manasseh (son of Hezekiah)>, <Person Hephzibah>, <Person Hezekiah (son of Ahaz)>, <Person Abi (mother of Hezekiah)>, <Person Zechariah (father of Abi)>, <Person Ahaz (king)>, <Person Jotham (king)>, <Person Jerusha>, <Person Zadok (father-in-law of Uzziah)>, <Person Uzziah (king)>, <Person Jecoliah>, <Person Amaziah (son of Joash)>, <Person Jehoaddin>, <Person Jehoash (son of Ahaziah)>, <Person Zibiah (mother of Jehoash)>, <Person Ahaziah (king of Judah)>, <Person Jehoram (king)>, <Person Jehoshaphat (king)>, <Person Azubah (mother of Jehoshaphat)>, <Person Shilhi>, <Person Asa (king of Judah)>, <Person Maacah (wife of Rehoboam)>, <Person Uriel (grandfather of Abijah)>, <Person Absalom>, <Person Maacah (wife of David)>, <Person Talmai (father of Maacah)>, <Person Ammihud (father of Talmai)>, <Person David>, <Person Jesse>, <Person Obed (son of Ruth)>, <Person Naomi>, <Person Boaz>, <Person Salmon>, <Person Nahshon>, <Person Amminadab (father of Nahshon)>, <Person Ram (ancestor of David)>, <Person Hezron (son of Perez)>, <Person Perez>, <Person Abijah (son of Rehoboam)>, <Person Rehoboam>, <Person Naamah (wife of Solomon)>, <Person Solomon>, <Person Bathsheba>, <Person Eliam (Amiel)>, <Person Dan (son of Jacob)>, <Person Bilhah (maidservant)>, <Person Naphtali>, <Person Issachar (son of Jacob)>, <Person Zebulun>, <Person Asher>, <Person Zilpah>, <Person Simeon (son of Jacob)>, <Person Gad (son of Jacob)>, <Person Levi (son of Jacob)>, <Person Mary (mother of Jesus)>, <Person Benjamin (son of Jacob)>, <Person Rachel>, <Person Reuben>, <Person Joseph (son of Jacob)>, <Person Christ>, <Person Jesus>, <Person Jorim>, <Person Matthat (ancestor of Jesus)>, <Person Levi (ancestor of Jesus)>, <Person Simeon (ancestor of Jesus)>, <Person Judas (ancestor of Jesus)>, <Person Joseph (Lk. 3:30)>, <Person Jonam>, <Person Eliakim (Lk. 3:30)>, <Person Melea>, <Person Menna>, <Person Mattatha>, <Person Nathan (son of David)>, <Person Cosam>, <Person Elmadam>, <Person Er (ancestor of Jesus)>, <Person Jesus (son of Eliezer)>, <Person Eliezer (ancestor of Jesus)>, <Person Naggai>, <Person Maath>, <Person Mattathias (son of Semein)>, <Person Semein>, <Person Josech>, <Person Joda>, <Person Joanan>, <Person Rhesa>, <Person Esli>, <Person Jannai>, <Person Joseph (Lk. 3:24)>, <Person Mattathias (son of Amos)>, <Person Amos (ancestor of Jesus)>, <Person Nahum (son of Esli)>, <Person Admin>, <Person Arni>, <Person Addi>, <Person Heli>, <Person Matthat (grandfather of Joseph)>, <Person Levi (great-grandfather of Joseph)>, <Person Melchi (son of Jannai)>, <Person Neri>, <Person Melchi (ancestor of Jesus)>, <Person Cainan>, <Person God>

You can optionally add the following two people depending on whether or not you want to include father-in-laws:

<Person Shua (father-in-law of Judah)>, <Person Pharaoh (Solomon’s father-in-law)>

Posts 2903
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 11:34 AM

Mark Barnes:
I though this was quite an interesting thing to do, so here's the code for Luke 3.

Mark, I think the rest of us should start taking up a love offering and send it to you. You've saved me more time than I can possibly compute, and it hasn't cost me a dime.

As they say on the PGA tour, UDA MAN! Big Smile

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 2903
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 11:36 AM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
Here's my list

Now the challenge becomes: take the two lists Mark posted and the exhaustive list Andrew posted and come up with a filter that will show them all, but differentiate between the two lists (plus the relative's data).

Geeked

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 2205
LogosEmployee

Here are the items in my list that aren't in Mark's list. There might be a single overlap or duplicate item in there, but I can't seem to spot it.

<Person Zerah (son of Judah)>, <Person Tamar (daughter-in-law of Judah)>, <Person Leah>, <Person Laban (father of Rachel)>, <Person Wife of Bethuel>, <Person Bethuel (father of Rebekah)>, <Person Milcah (wife of Nahor)>, <Person Haran (brother of Abraham)>, <Person Wife of Noah>, <Person Eve>, <Person Rebekah>, <Person Sarah>, <Person Uriah (Bathsheba’s husband)>, <Person Rahab (prostitute)>, <Person Ruth>, <Person Nehushta>, <Person Elnathan (grandfather of Jehoiachin)>, <Person Jehoiakim (king)>, <Person Zebidah>, <Person Pedaiah (grandfather of Jehoiakim)>, <Person Jedidah>, <Person Adaiah (father of Jedidah)>, <Person Meshullemeth>, <Person Haruz>, <Person Hephzibah>, <Person Abi (mother of Hezekiah)>, <Person Zechariah (father of Abi)>, <Person Jerusha>, <Person Zadok (father-in-law of Uzziah)>, <Person Jecoliah>, <Person Amaziah (son of Joash)>, <Person Jehoaddin>, <Person Jehoash (son of Ahaziah)>, <Person Zibiah (mother of Jehoash)>, <Person Ahaziah (king of Judah)>, <Person Azubah (mother of Jehoshaphat)>, <Person Shilhi>, <Person Maacah (wife of Rehoboam)>, <Person Uriel (grandfather of Abijah)>, <Person Absalom>, <Person Maacah (wife of David)>, <Person Talmai (father of Maacah)>, <Person Ammihud (father of Talmai)>, <Person Naomi>, <Person Naamah (wife of Solomon)>, <Person Bathsheba>, <Person Eliam (Amiel)>, <Person Dan (son of Jacob)>, <Person Bilhah (maidservant)>, <Person Naphtali>, <Person Issachar (son of Jacob)>, <Person Zebulun>, <Person Asher>, <Person Zilpah>, <Person Simeon (son of Jacob)>, <Person Gad (son of Jacob)>, <Person Levi (son of Jacob)>, <Person Mary (mother of Jesus)>, <Person Benjamin (son of Jacob)>, <Person Rachel>, <Person Reuben>, <Person Joseph (son of Jacob)>, <Person Christ>, <Person Jesus>, <Person Esli>, <Person God>

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS