Mavericks and Logos 6

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 30 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 52
RPW | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 4 2014 10:57 AM

With all of the concerns around downloading and installing Logos 6 on a current MacBook Pro, I am wondering is it better to upgrade to Logos 6 under Mavericks and then upgrade Mavericks to Yosemite? I am currently running Logos 5.2b SR7 on a late 2013 MacBook Pro 15" 2.3 Ghz i7, with 16 Gig of Ram.

Are there any benefits to running L6 under Yosemite?

Thanks in advance for your comments/input.

Ron

Posts 607
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 11:07 AM

Given the network issues users have been having under Yosemite (not just Logos users), I think I would just stay on Mavericks until Apple has some time to work out the kinks:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2843072/apple-reportedly-asks-developers-to-focus-on-wifi-in-first-yosemite-beta-update.html

Posts 52
RPW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 11:32 AM

Thanks, Alan. Are there any benefits that Logos 6 takes advantage of in Yosemite that are not present in Mavericks?

Posts 607
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 11:34 AM

Not that I'm aware of. Someone will undoubtedly correct me if I'm wrong.

Posts 29472
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 11:53 AM

You are strongly advised to wait to update to Yosemite... At least until you have finished downloading any large resource updates.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 12:03 PM

I have been on Yosemite since early in its release, and I had no trouble downloading or running Verbum 6 that point to a Yosemite issue.  I realize not everyone is in that boat, I just wanted to make sure people know it's not everybody.

Posts 52
RPW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 12:10 PM
Thanks, Don. Since this is my only current computer running, I didn't want to run into any snafus that I might be able to avoid while preparing for this week. I am very curious what percentage of users are experiencing problems with the large downloads. It seems like that is the only problem affecting logos. RPW
Posts 29472
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 12:10 PM

Don Awalt:
I have been on Yosemite since early in its release, and I had no trouble downloading

Out of curiosity: What are your device specs? What year?

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 1:24 PM

alabama24:

Mine is a MacBook Pro from earlier this year. 

2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 1:26 PM

Don Awalt:

I have been on Yosemite since early in its release, and I had no trouble downloading or running Verbum 6 that point to a Yosemite issue.  I realize not everyone is in that boat, I just wanted to make sure people know it's not everybody.

Same here - I haven't had any problems. Specs of my machine in my signature.

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 10821
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 1:41 PM

alabama24:

Early 2013 iMac i7 with 26GB RAM and a 3TB Fusion Drive. Connected to the internet via wi-fi cable modem.

I have had no problem with mega downloads. From reading the forums, it seems that this problem affects a relative minority of Mac users. However, it is a very serious show-stopper for those who are experiencing the bottleneck.

Posts 29472
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 1:52 PM

From the three of you, it sounds like you were all on 2013 or newer devices. I wonder if that is part of the problem.

Posts 10821
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 1:53 PM

alabama24:

From the three of you, it sounds like you were all on 2013 or newer devices. I wonder if that is part of the problem.

Interesting possibility. For a definitive answer we would need to determine the platform specs of those having the problem.

Posts 29472
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 2:23 PM

Jack Caviness:
Interesting possibility. For a definitive answer we would need to determine the platform specs of those having the problem.

That's why I asked in my "metathread," but most users didnt catch the hint. Wink

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 6:22 PM

I also got the 200MB+ download today with no problems.

Posts 52
RPW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 9:55 PM

You guys are giving me hope. It sounds like your machines are of similar vintage to mine and are not having the problems. Like you said Alabama, it would really nice to know the various specs of the machines experiencing the problems.

Ron

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 10:12 PM

FWIW, I have not experienced these issues, either:

Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro 13" - 2.4 GHz i5 - Yosemite

Product Department Manager
Faithlife

Posts 29472
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 10:18 PM

Gabe Martini:
Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro 13" - 2.4 GHz i5 - Yosemite

Most everyone who has said "no problems" is using a late 2013 mac (or newer)... those who have stated they are having problems are almost all using an older device. That may or may not be relevant. 

Posts 52
RPW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 10:25 PM

Very interesting. Certainly thank you gents for piping in here. Are there any on this forum with late 2013 macs or later who HAVE HAD the problem?

Ron

Posts 29472
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 10:32 PM

RPW:
Are there any on this forum with late 2013 macs or later who HAVE HAD the problem?

I know that I read of one... but I think only one. It is hard to juggle all these threads and posts together. I also like to remind others (and myself as well!) that just because multiple users are reporting similar symptoms doesn't mean they have the "same problem." 

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS