New Video: Hebrew Bible Word Study for Beginners with no Hebrew knowledge

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 30 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 12 2010 2:48 AM

(note that one minor aspect of this will only work in 4.0b -- find next search hit; but you can still scroll down to see all the highlighted search hits)

http://www.screencast.com/t/OWIyZDY5OTA

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 2:54 AM

It's linked in from the wiki now, too. Also I've started a new category for "Logos 4 Video Tutorials" on my blog, Faith and Technology. Hadn't gotten around to doing any yet, since John Fidel and Mark Barnes had the bases so well covered. But this one was in response to a particular user's question. I think it will be more generally useful, too. At least I hope so.

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 4:33 AM

Rosie Perera:

(note that one minor aspect of this will only work in 4.0b -- find next search hit; but you can still scroll down to see all the highlighted search hits)

Thanks!

I suppose that I ought to start using Logos 4 from time to time before I get too far behind the curve.  Been using that unnamed software and sort of shining on L4.

Nice video - thank you for making it.

Mike

Posts 2853
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 4:51 AM

Rosie Perera:

Thanks Rosie, very informative & helpful video. I am finding out more useful ways of using V4.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 5:10 AM

Thanks Rosie. The video really helps. Good job. Yes

Bohuslav

Posts 2553
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 5:41 AM

Well done Rosie! I like the use of the find box in the lexicon... I always learn something new.

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 6:19 AM

well done. thx for sharing Smile

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 7:05 AM

Thanks Rosie,  I do a lot of work like this from the NT/Greek resources already.  It looks like OT/Hebrew is about the same.  Watching this video helps me have more confidence that I can start using those resources with the same effectiveness as my NT studies.  This is a big help to those of us who haven't been to seminary and might need a little bit of training to take advantage of our Logos resources.

Posts 32
Pastor Johnny | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 7:12 AM

Great video. I  learned something new when watching it. I also came up with a question while view it --- when you open the ESV Interlinear and select the word "he," there is a number beside the lemma (the number one). I have never heard any explanation of what that number means. Any idea?

joh

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 7:36 AM

Johnny Hewett:

Great video. I  learned something new when watching it. I also came up with a question while view it --- when you open the ESV Interlinear and select the word "he," there is a number beside the lemma (the number one). I have never heard any explanation of what that number means. Any idea?

Good question. I have no idea. Anyone else?

Posts 2553
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 9:36 AM

The simple explanation is:

Where you have hebrew lemmas that are spelled identical, but have different meanings these are separated by these numbers.

Homographs – One of two or more words that have the same spelling (whether or not they are pronounced the same) but differ in meaning such as wind (air current) and wind (to twist or wrap) or fair (pleasing in appearance) and fair (market).

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 9:57 AM

John Fidel:

Where you have hebrew lemmas that are spelled identical, but have different meanings these are separated by these numbers.

Homographs – One of two or more words that have the same spelling (whether or not they are pronounced the same) but differ in meaning such as wind (air current) and wind (to twist or wrap) or fair (pleasing in appearance) and fair (market).

Rosie,

thanks for the vid.

John...thanks for that explanation...I've wondered about that more than once!!

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 1:36 PM

John Fidel:

Thanks, John. Do you know if these numbers are tied to a particular lexicon that uses them, or are they Logos's own numbering scheme? I haven't been able to find a correspondence with a lexicon, though I have found multiple lemmas spelled the same way in most of them. But, for example, with אתה, which occurs in Gen 3:15 with the meaning number 4 next to it, there only are three words spelled that way in Strongs, NAS Dictionaries, and only two in most of the others (BDB, Gesenius, CHALOT, etc.). Any way we can browse the other three versions of that lemma in Logos, just for curiosity?

Posts 37
Brent Daniel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 3:07 PM

Hi Rosie,

Have a look at the following Logos 3 videos on the ESV reverse interlinears:

http://www.logos.com/media/flash/esvrevint/ESVReverseInterlinear.html

http://www.logos.com/media/flash/esvrevint/ESVHebrewRevInt.html

Early in the first video, it indictes that the small subscript numbers tied to the Greek manuscript text (MSS) are the word order of the Greek words in the greek manuscript.  For the Hebrew reverse interlinear, the subscripts also indicate work order of the Hebrew word in the Hebrew manuscript.

In L4, these numercal subscripts for the Greek and Hebrew words in the MSS indicate word order in the original manuscript.

While the above links point to L3 videos, they provide insight into the notation of the reverse interlinears in L4.

Brent

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 3:21 PM

Brent Daniel:

Hi Rosie,

Have a look at the following Logos 3 videos on the ESV reverse interlinears:

http://www.logos.com/media/flash/esvrevint/ESVReverseInterlinear.html

http://www.logos.com/media/flash/esvrevint/ESVHebrewRevInt.html

Early in the first video, it indictes that the small subscript numbers tied to the Greek manuscript text (MSS) are the word order of the Greek words in the greek manuscript.  For the Hebrew reverse interlinear, the subscripts also indicate work order of the Hebrew word in the Hebrew manuscript.

In L4, these numercal subscripts for the Greek and Hebrew words in the MSS indicate word order in the original manuscript.

Thanks, Brent, for that additional useful information. That wasn't the question that was being asked, but I appreciate knowing this for sure (I suspected it was the case).

Here, for others who might be curious, are the numbers Johnny was asking about (the black ones next to the lemmas, not the orange ones next to the MSS text):

Those are the numbers John Fidel was explaining when he referred to different Hebrew lemmas that are spelled identically but have different meanings.

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 3:24 PM

Rosie,

I liked the video - but, it's now like all the mystery has gone - not only have I seen your face (with that brief new avatar some time ago) but I know what you sound like...

Anyway, on point, is there a reason that you chose to use the interlinear pane rather than just right click on the "he" and select the lemma from there?

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 3:30 PM

Damian McGrath:

Rosie,

I liked the video - but, it's now like all the mystery has gone - not only have I seen your face (with that brief new avatar some time ago) but I know what you sound like...

Oh well, I guess you'll have to be satisfied to remain in the dark about what I smell like.Smile

Damian McGrath:

Anyway, on point, is there a reason that you chose to use the interlinear pane rather than just right click on the "he" and select the lemma from there?

Any excuse to teach people more parts of the Logos user interface, and what a "lemma" is. But you're right, that would have been more direct. I just wanted people to see the Hebrew words in the Interlinear panel and not be scared of them. This video was directed at people with no Hebrew knowledge, but I'm hoping it will entice them to want to learn more about Hebrew.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 9:22 PM

Thanks for the video Rosie !

What is the next video that you will do? I could get used to having user videos as a continuing  education on Logos Big Smile

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 9:35 PM

steve clark:

What is the next video that you will do? I could get used to having user videos as a continuing  education on Logos Big Smile

Don't know yet. I'll probably wait and do it as the need arises. I still need to learn this product better myself before I can really teach it effectively. You know, I still haven't watched all the videos on the Logos website, I'm ashamed to admit. (And yet I'm often sending other users there to watch them when they come here with newbie questions!) Also I've signed up for Morris Proctor's seminar in Seattle in March. I'm sure I'll make even better videos after that!

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 13 2010 9:05 AM

steve clark:

Hey Rosie, how about some video help on Syntax Searching beyond the first two videos I saw (which were very good!) - but they don't really explain Clause Analysis, which seems to be needed to make searches work (for things like when matches skip levels is needed), descriptions of the different types of objects (Clause Component, Clause IC, etc.), basic differences between Andersen-Forbes, Cascadia, OpenText.org, Lexham and why you would use each, etc.?

I know that's a lot - but there is a ton here for newbies that is not really described anywhere at all!  Even just pointers to good resources on the web within a video so it gave a complete overview would be beneficial.

Thanks for thinking of us in any case!

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS