Need 1-click "Save Current Layout" (without Having to Select It)

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3704
BillS | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 12 2010 8:33 AM

While I appreciate thedirection we're headed in 4.0b b3 (able to right click on layout name & update it to current snapshot), IMO that still leaves us too much at risk of overwriting a layout... more than once.Embarrassed

Example:

To accomplish what my single workspace did in L3 (via use of serial resources that auto-opened a comparable OT or NT resource when I went from NT to OT or vice versa), I now need 2 layouts. One for OT, one for NT. They take time to set up.

In SR2, it's WAY too easy to type in the name of the wrong layout.

4.0b b3 is an improvement--right click on desired layout, then click "update to current snapshot."

The problem is, it's still all too easy to click & update the wrong layout. I only need 3--blank, NT, & OT; NT & OT are next to each other.

I thought about asking for confirmation (Do you REALLY want to overwrite?????). That'd still leave me at risk. I just want to save the current layout with one-click. I don't want to have to select it, because that's what'll introduce risk of overwriting the wrong one.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 11:22 AM

BillS:

While I appreciate thedirection we're headed in 4.0b b3 (able to right click on layout name & update it to current snapshot), IMO that still leaves us too much at risk of overwriting a layout... more than once.Embarrassed

Example:

To accomplish what my single workspace did in L3 (via use of serial resources that auto-opened a comparable OT or NT resource when I went from NT to OT or vice versa), I now need 2 layouts. One for OT, one for NT. They take time to set up.

In SR2, it's WAY too easy to type in the name of the wrong layout.

4.0b b3 is an improvement--right click on desired layout, then click "update to current snapshot."

The problem is, it's still all too easy to click & update the wrong layout. I only need 3--blank, NT, & OT; NT & OT are next to each other.

I thought about asking for confirmation (Do you REALLY want to overwrite?????). That'd still leave me at risk. I just want to save the current layout with one-click. I don't want to have to select it, because that's what'll introduce risk of overwriting the wrong one.

I would suggest that they introduce a simple keyboard shortcut which is already standard with most programs to save the current status -- <ctrl-S> .

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3704
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 3:46 PM

George Somsel:
simple keyboard shortcut which is already standard with most programs to save the current status -- <ctrl-S>

Hi George,

That'd work for me, since we could drag it to the shortcut bar. My fear is that the reason for the current implementation is that L4 doesn't really know the name of or keep track of the current layout, making it a bigger rather than a smaller deal to give us a one-click save.

Thanks for the response, & blessings to you!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS