Colors gone rouge

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 306
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 10 2014 4:15 AM

I've been working through trying to understand searching and topics in Logos as a new user. In a recent search I got some results that were so highlighted and colored I could barely read them. What is the purpose of all these colors and is there a way to tone them down? Here is an example of my results:

Posts 11719
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 5:06 AM

dandwoo,

I think this is the result of your Everything search phrase. You are searching for articles in "everything" that contain the following words:

purpose AND of AND the

plus (another logical AND) a topic marker for Law.

Logos helps us users to recognize the different hits for different parts of such a search clause, that's why "the" has another color than "of" and yet another than "purpose" and still another for the tagged text parts..

Probably you meant to perform a phrase search "purpose of the law" or a search just for purpose in connection with <Topic Law> tagged entities?

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 306
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 5:57 AM

I was experimenting with various syntaxes to see what kind of results I would get with a topical search. I typed in purpose of the law, but did not hit enter. The search field populated with topics, one of which was the topic LAW. I selected that topic and then it performed the full search. I've been trying to figure out how to do better topical searches. Right now my results usually take me to a single verse, with a search performed based on that reference, not my topic. Some of the results have been okay, just not as comprehensive as I would have hoped with my gold package.

Posts 26595
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 9:38 PM

danwdoo:
Some of the results have been okay, just not as comprehensive as I would have hoped with my gold package

A larger package makes it likely you will have more results but the search method determines how comprehensive/meaningful they are. The topic is 'law' but the search you performed is not 'topical' because the words can occur in any order. The phrase "purpose of the law" (with the quotes) will produce more comprehensive results, but it isn't strictly topical. Try Topic Guide or Factbook for 'law' instead and you will find many topical suggestions in addition to <topic law>.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 306
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 9:46 PM

I'm curious if it made any difference that when I typed in the search, it listed 'LAW topic' in the dropdown and I selected that before starting the search. The result was the search was performed with the command: purpose of the <Topic Law>. Does this mean it searched within the topic LAW for the words purpose & of?

Posts 26595
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 12:15 AM

danwdoo:
Does this mean it searched within the topic LAW for the words purpose & of?

No. It may look like that but AND is not the same as 'within'. The result could be near but outside the text of the topic LAW.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS