Factbook from right click of mouse button?

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 37 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 452
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 10:05 AM

That explains it. I don't have that database. Here's what I have under the "Factbook" category:

Factbook

DB:BIBLICAL-PEOPLE

2014-11-20T19:03:31Z

BiblicalPeople.lbsbpd

DB:BIBLICAL-PEOPLE-DIAGRAMS

2014-08-21T20:42:50Z

StaticPeopleGraphs.lbsspd

DB:BIBLICAL-PLACES

2014-11-20T19:02:50Z

BiblicalPlaces.lbsplc

DB:BIBLICAL-PLACES-MAPS

2011-02-17T20:33:14Z

BiblicalPlacesMaps.lbsmps

DB:BIBLICAL-THINGS

2014-11-20T19:02:40Z

BiblicalThings.lbsthg

DB:FB-MEDIA

2014-10-14T17:15:32Z

FactbookMedia.lbsfbm

DB:UAV

2014-11-18T22:47:08Z

UAV.lbsuav

The last base package I purchased was L4 Platinum—I have Logos 6 because I was using the 5.3 beta. This feature did work in Logos 5 though.

Posts 32592
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 12:18 PM

Yes and no - there was no Factbook in L5. It was links to Biblical Places, Biblical People etc. that worked. I agree it is a net loss of a function.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 452
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 2:24 PM

Technically, yes. If we want to be really pedantic about it, L4 had "Biblical People, Biblical Places, and Biblical Things," L5 had "Bible Facts," and L6 has "Factbook."

They're all the same feature, just rebadged and tweaked.

Posts 26718
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 3:11 PM

Mitchell:
The last base package I purchased was L4 Platinum—I have Logos 6 because I was using the 5.3 beta.

That package should enable Biblical People Diagrams and Biblical Places Maps as resources in your Library, and they are shown in the header of Factbook for People or Places that you enter. To get the full benefit of L6 you need the Features Crossgrade as the cheaper Core Crossgrade doesn't give you Biblical Referents.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 26718
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 3:26 PM

Mitchell:

Technically, yes. If we want to be really pedantic about it, L4 had "Biblical People, Biblical Places, and Biblical Things," L5 had "Bible Facts," and L6 has "Factbook."

They're all the same feature, just rebadged and tweaked.

L5 introduced Events and L6 introduces English pronunciation of People names, Notable non-bible People (e.g. Spurgeon, Wesley), and Bible Book synopses. As mentioned above, Factbook still uses your L4 People Diagrams and Maps.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 452
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 3:49 PM

Understood, I lumped all of that under "tweaked," though perhaps that was unfair. Regardless, I have lost a feature in the upgrade. I used to be able to access my [Factbook/Bible Facts] data directly from a passage's contextual menu, now I can't. 

I'm not particularly bothered by that, as it's a minor feature, but I suspect others might react more negatively to the loss of this feature come February when the free engine is released to others who, like me, don't own an L6 base package. Consider me a beta tester for that release. 

Posts 3297
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 4:44 PM

Mitchell:

Understood, I lumped all of that under "tweaked," though perhaps that was unfair. Regardless, I have lost a feature in the upgrade. I used to be able to access my [Factbook/Bible Facts] data directly from a passage's contextual menu, now I can't. 

I'm not particularly bothered by that, as it's a minor feature, but I suspect others might react more negatively to the loss of this feature come February when the free engine is released to others who, like me, don't own an L6 base package. Consider me a beta tester for that release. 

I can definitely see how it would be frustrating.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 452
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 9 2015 6:09 PM

Just following up on this. I emailed Logos support a few times but haven't gotten a response—Sean, could you help me?

First off, I really would like to get it fixed so that I can access Factbook again from the contextual menu. My comments above may have made it sound like I don't care if this is ever fixed... that's not quite true, I just don't see it as a top priority. 

I have found another (almost certainly related) problem though that really is a much bigger deal. My Factbook is missing the "Passages" section! I used to be able to look up "Apollos" in the Bible Facts tool and find where in Scripture he's mentioned. No more! This is a big limitation on the usefulness of the tool.

Is there a fix available?

Posts 9108
LogosEmployee

Mitchell:
First off, I really would like to get it fixed so that I can access Factbook again from the contextual menu. My comments above may have made it sound like I don't care if this is ever fixed... that's not quite true, I just don't see it as a top priority. 

This should be fixed in 6.0b (coming soon), although I think the fix might not have made it into the release notes.

Posts 452
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 11 2015 8:30 PM

Wonderful, thank you! Looking forward to it.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 11 2015 9:42 PM

post deleted

Posts 472
Stephen McCracken | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 12 2015 3:25 AM

Contextual Menu

Thanks for helping me the realise that the NIV Anglicised 1984 does not have the same functionality as all the other Bibles (LEB, NIV 2011, ESV, etc.). This is the Bible my church uses but obviously I'm missing out by having it as my preferred Bible.

Screenshot below is the NIV Anglicised 1984 and then the Lexham English Bible

Posts 11853
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 12 2015 4:02 AM

StephenMcC:

Thanks for helping me the realise that the NIV Anglicised 1984 does not have the same functionality as all the other Bibles (LEB, NIV 2011, ESV, etc.). This is the Bible my church uses but obviously I'm missing out by having it as my preferred Bible.

In fact NIV Anglicised 1984 does not have the same functionality as the bibles you mentioned, because those bibles are morphologically tagged and with a Reverse Interlinear available. Looking at the hundreds of bibles existing in Logos, NIV Anglicised 1984 seems to have the same functionality as all other bibles, only some few bibles (I think less than a dozen in total) have more.

The reason for this is that the added functionality is tied to the underlying Greek/Hebrew text. It is a massive undertaking to build a Reverse Interlinear database - it takes years and a lot of effort. In the case of non-PD bibles, an agreement with the holder(s) of the copyright needs to be made, too. In case of NIV 1984 Anglicised this last point may prevent the (probably smaller effort) re-use of the NIV 1984 RI database.

You may use the feature of a linked set to have a second bible (such as free LEB) scroll along with your preferred version and give you access to information/functionality not existing in your main bible.

Hope this helps,

Mick 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 472
Stephen McCracken | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 12 2015 4:11 AM

NB.Mick:
NIV Anglicised 1984 seems to have the same functionality as all other bibles, only some few bibles (I think less than a dozen in total) have more.

Thanks Mick, this is a helpful reply. 

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 13 2015 4:23 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
This should be fixed in 6.0b (coming soon), although I think the fix might not have made it into the release notes.

It's reported as fixed in 6.0b RC2.

Posts 452
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 13 2015 12:10 PM

Yep, I updated to 6.0b RC2 and I can now get to Factbook from the contextual menu. Great!

The other issue still remains. I can get from passages to the Factbook, but I can't get from Factbook to passages—that section is missing. 

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 13 2015 4:08 PM

Mitchell:

Yep, I updated to 6.0b RC2 and I can now get to Factbook from the contextual menu. Great!

The other issue still remains. I can get from passages to the Factbook, but I can't get from Factbook to passages—that section is missing. 

I can confirm this behavior and I've created a case.

Dylan Rondeau, Software Tester

Enable Logging: Mac | Windows (Right-click "Save As...")

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 2:08 PM

Mitchell:

6.0b is now on the stable channel, so this is fixed for all L6 users. The issue with getting to passages from Factbook is still active.

Dylan Rondeau, Software Tester

Enable Logging: Mac | Windows (Right-click "Save As...")

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS