Logos 6 memory Hog

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 4
Philip Jones | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 11 2014 1:09 PM

Is there a solution to the memory hogging that is happening?  Before I launch Logos 6 I have 3.86 GB of free memory.  After I launch and pull up a passage in the passage guide I'm down to 1.73 GB (of course those numbers fluctuate).  That's ridiculous.  My entire system is slowing down.  

Anyone have any solutions? 

Posts 4
Philip Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 1:14 PM

I should note before anyone else asks.  The program is not downloading any new content nor is it indexing.  So neither of those is part of the problem.  

Posts 2993
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 1:24 PM

I think this partly has to do with it being a 64bit program, but yes, I have noticed it taking more resources than L5

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 6:54 PM

I kind of wish it would use more... my .02

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 1638
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 6:55 PM

Philip Jones:
Before I launch Logos 6 I have 3.86 GB of free memory.  After I launch and pull up a passage in the passage guide I'm down to 1.73 GB

Philip Jones:
My entire system is slowing down

Perhaps we need more information.

On the surface, using more ram is NOT "slowing down" it is merely "using more ram" -- this is a good thing.

As mentioned in the other post, this is what the new (64 bit) L6 is now designed to do as opposed to the former 32 bit L5.

The new ability to access more Ram memory actually increases what the program can do.

... or am I missing something?

Regards, SteveF

Posts 6479
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 7:06 PM

If Philip is multitasking things will start to slow down.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 1638
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 7:26 PM

Lynden Williams:
If Philip is multitasking things will start to slow down.

Smile Right..Thanks Lynden.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 241
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 10:31 PM

Memory usage is more than just what's left over. There is what memory a program reserves, and what it actually is using. 64 does allow it to use more memory, which should improve performance for an app like LOGOS that is working with massive amounts of data. If it did not use additional memory then there would not be any performance gains. It is important to note that these gains will only be slight on systems with only 4GB of memory, but will increase with larger amounts of RAM being available.

1.7GB free should be adequate to prevent noticeable slowdowns unless you are running other apps that are taking significant resources. Your slowdown are much more likely related to CPU/Disk usage.

There are plenty of tools that can help you determine where bottlenecks are occurring, but they will vary based upon the O/S you are using.

Posts 1072
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 6:29 AM

Philip 

Some detail about your system hardware could be useful. 

L6 for me with Google also running my used ram is 2.53GB of 8GB total. and Windows 7 64bit.

Also with L6 i have 3 Bibles open, 4 commentaries, NA28 & BDAG factbook and passage guide and bible word study.

What is your setup like?

I don't know about others but I am happy that my computer has to work a little harder, and for me Logos is running great indexing is faster to i think. 

And I love so many of the new options.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 485
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 7:39 AM

With Outlook open, Firefox, MS Word, and Logos, I've 8GB but am at about 96% usage of RAM, with Logos 6 taking just under 2GB, and that is without indexing. When the Logos indexer kicks in, all other programs run at about a tenth the normal speed, so I usually pause indexing so that I can work. It all works OK as long as I'm not indexing.

Admitedly, I've loads of windows and resources open (altough mostly unaccessed so taking up less memory).  But this wasn't a problem on the 32-bit program.

If I could save different windows as separate sub-layouts, and open/close them independently of the main window, that'd solve my problem, as I could close the windows for journals, Pauline studies, Commentaries, lexicons, devotionals, Notes/clippings, ancient non-biblical texts, systematic theologies, and so on. The problem is, that if I improve one of these windows, I need to save the whole layout.  Hence the need to keep a complete layout open all the time, hogging memory. If only there could be progress on this uservoice request: http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-6/suggestions/1035553-floating-window-layouts

Posts 10482
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 11:55 AM

John Duffy:
If I could save different windows as separate sub-layouts, and open/close them independently of the main window, that'd solve my problem, as I could close the windows for journals, Pauline studies, Commentaries, lexicons, devotionals, Notes/clippings, ancient non-biblical texts, systematic theologies, and so on. The problem is, that if I improve one of these windows, I need to save the whole layout.

What is to prevent you from having separate layouts? Surely, you can't use all those sub-layouts at one time. Switching layouts does take a few seconds to complete, but it's not so time-consuming that I would consider making such a complex single layout.

Posts 485
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 12:50 AM

Jack Caviness:

John Duffy:
If I could save different windows as separate sub-layouts, and open/close them independently of the main window, that'd solve my problem, as I could close the windows for journals, Pauline studies, Commentaries, lexicons, devotionals, Notes/clippings, ancient non-biblical texts, systematic theologies, and so on. The problem is, that if I improve one of these windows, I need to save the whole layout.

What is to prevent you from having separate layouts? Surely, you can't use all those sub-layouts at one time. Switching layouts does take a few seconds to complete, but it's not so time-consuming that I would consider making such a complex single layout.

Hi Jack, yes, I've done that in the past. But what I found was that if I added or removed some resources from a window in one layout, wanting to keep that new set of resources for all my study, whenever I went to another layout I had lost my changes. Over time, a layout which hasn't been used for a few months would be too 'old' to be useful without spending too much time keeping them all up to date. With almost ten different layouts, it became impractical to keep them all up to date.  So, I found that it was easiest in practice to just use one master layout, since there was no memory issue with Logos 5 (32-bit). Switching layouts takes about half a minute to a minute, so changing something on all my layouts to keep them up to date would take too long.  Different people work different ways  - this is just the way I worked well using the 32-bit program.

Posts 10482
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 3:23 AM

John Duffy:
With almost ten different layouts, it became impractical to keep them all up to date.  So, I found that it was easiest in practice to just use one master layout

Understandable. 

John Duffy:
Different people work different ways

Very True.

John Duffy:
since there was no memory issue with Logos 5 (32-bit).

When I purchased my iMac last year, I went big with RAM (24GB0, so I don't notice such things. RAM chips are relatively inexpensive now, so I recommend that users get as much as their machine will hold—within reason.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 3:43 AM

All of my machines can hold 8 GB, which is rather little but I would not have afforded better ones. With one exception: my oldest laptop is maxed out to 4 GB:

Jack Caviness:
When I purchased my iMac last year, I went big with RAM (24GB, so I don't notice such things. RAM chips are relatively inexpensive now, so I recommend that users get as much as their machine will hold—within reason.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 24692
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 3:47 AM

John Duffy:
With Outlook open, Firefox, MS Word, and Logos, I've 8GB but am at about 96% usage of RAM, with Logos 6 taking just under 2GB

With L5, L6, Outlook, 2x Firefox, 2 x Word 2013 I don't use more than 50% of my 8GB (currently at 40%). But I would be maxed out with the 4GB that I had until 64-bit v5.3 beta came along.  L6 is using about 0.8-1.0 GB, L5 about 300--500 MB

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 485
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 4:34 AM

Dave Hooton:

John Duffy:
With Outlook open, Firefox, MS Word, and Logos, I've 8GB but am at about 96% usage of RAM, with Logos 6 taking just under 2GB

With L5, L6, Outlook, 2x Firefox, 2 x Word 2013 I don't use more than 50% of my 8GB (currently at 40%). But I would be maxed out with the 4GB that I had until 64-bit v5.3 beta came along.  L6 is using about 0.8-1.0 GB, L5 about 300--500 MB

Hi Dave. Admittedly, I do have a large number of resources open in multiple windows on my PC (8GB).  On my laptop (4GB), I tend to use a different, more minimalistic, layout.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 4:54 AM

I've not seen usage go above 500mb on mine, even with a large layout and indexing. 

I have 16gb of ram, and am eyeballing two more 8gb sticks. 

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 8:53 AM

abondservant:

I've not seen usage go above 500mb on mine, even with a large layout and indexing. 

I've got 32GB and am considering going to 128GB...but I'm in IT and virtualize entire multi-server lab environments on my PC.  Smile

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 10:50 AM

Ron:

abondservant:

I've got 32GB and am considering going to 128GB...but I'm in IT and virtualize entire multi-server lab environments on my PC.  Smile

I still get the odd video or graphic editing side job... Plus I have Logos beta running in a windows 10 vm. *chuckle*. 128 would be nice, and I think my board would support it... But I'm not ready to spend that kind of cash for something I'm not going to use every day.

Posts 5247
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 11:10 AM

While I am sure Verum 6/Logos 6 is using a lot of memory during it's indexing but I can run a passage guide and it doesn't go over 600 mb on my MBP.

-Dan

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS