BI100 or DIY

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 856
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 17 2014 7:09 AM

I am interested in investing some time in either of these (I cannot do both) in order to supplement a class. I see DIY is a year long schedule, etc., and they are likely geared differently.

Are there any recommendations on which you might prefer? Why?

Thanks

Michael

Posts 3115
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 8:21 AM

Michael McLane:

I am interested in investing some time in either of these (I cannot do both) in order to supplement a class. I see DIY is a year long schedule, etc., and they are likely geared differently.

Thanks

Michael

They are very different.  DIY is a basic go over the entire Bible and get the gist of what each book is about and how to go deeper.  BI100 is more like what you would get in a seminary hermenutics class learning how to dig into the word properly and thoroughly. 

With reference to BI100, Dr. Bock is very good and I have had him for other lectures/conferences and courses.

I do enjoy DIY as well and it is a good beginner course for sure.  But from what I can tell BI100 is deeper.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 8:50 AM

I received the Bl100 class free as part of my "you spend too much money" upgrade perk. I haven't been through more than the first 6 or 8 5-10 minute lectures. However, it seems to be shallower than both my college and seminary hermeneutics class. 

I think its eminently valuable if you've never had such a class however.

It may well go deeper as things progress... I will report back.

It may just be that Danny Akin sets the bar high :)

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 856
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 10:32 AM

Thank you. That helps.

Posts 482
Travis Walter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 11:14 AM

When did you get the BI100 download?  I havent gotten that yet -- and yes I got the "you spend too much money" also perk.

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 11:18 AM

There was an email with a link embeded with a promo code. you should get the email within 15 days of purchase as I recall. 

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 482
Travis Walter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 11:35 AM

abondservant:

There was an email with a link embeded with a promo code. you should get the email within 15 days of purchase as I recall. 

Hmm I ordered on 10/31.  I never got anything.  Did you get the $50 code also yet?

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 11:57 AM

If you contact your sales rep, they can sort the Mobile Ed course out for you. I haven't had the $50 as yet. I seem to recall the terms said it would be sent up to 45 days after purchase. 

Posts 790
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 1:57 PM

David Taylor Jr:

Michael McLane:

Thanks

Michael

They are very different.  DIY is a basic go over the entire Bible and get the gist of what each book is about and how to go deeper.  BI100 is more like what you would get in a seminary hermenutics class learning how to dig into the word properly and thoroughly. 

With reference to BI100, Dr. Bock is very good and I have had him for other lectures/conferences and courses.

I do enjoy DIY as well and it is a good beginner course for sure.  But from what I can tell BI100 is deeper.

My opinion on both might not matter as I don't have either but I would think that the DIY along with the power of the Holy Spirit would be a better choice than a class on Bible study. Not that there isn't anything wrong with the class but I would assume the DIY + Holy Spirit would be better.

I could be out of line though since I don't have either(but I do want a package that has the DIY).

JMHO.

Posts 1004
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 2:03 PM

I can see no reason why you cannot have a class on bible study with the holy spirit, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 2:04 PM

Travis Walter:

abondservant:

Hmm I ordered on 10/31.  I never got anything.  Did you get the $50 code also yet?

Not yet, expecting that in December. 

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 2:06 PM

James Hiddle:

David Taylor Jr:

Michael McLane:

Thanks

Michael

My opinion on both might not matter as I don't have either but I would think that the DIY along with the power of the Holy Spirit would be a better choice than a class on Bible study. Not that there isn't anything wrong with the class but I would assume the DIY + Holy Spirit would be better.

I could be out of line though since I don't have either(but I do want a package that has the DIY).

JMHO.

Pushing this logic to the absurd, buying cat food + Holy Spirit would be better? Or is it the content, the protein, vitamins, and minerals being in proper proportion for the cat's optimal health that are more important? I would argue for the latter. 

I would think a balanced approach to the Trinity is better than an unbalanced one - and would prefer that no matter what they called it :)

EDIT: Upon re-reading I see I may have missunderstood. 

I think you're making some faulty assumptions about hermeneutics and perhaps the scriptures in general...

While the H.S. is capable, and does help us understand scripture better; God has given us tools as part of general revelation to better understand his word. If you were a Mechanic, you wouldn't just assume the H.S. will guide your hammer as you seek to take out a spark plug. Certainly not, instead you would find your sparkplug socket, and a ratchet, and pull it out gently so as not to break it. 

So often this anti-academic attitude pops up in my own denomination. IE we have the Holy Spirit and so we need no other tools beside the bible. I think this is short sighted. 

Once upon a time I had really REALLY bad eyesight. The big E at the top of the eye chart? I stopped being able to see that un-aided in kindergarten. I feel the study of scripture without a proper understanding of scripture is like young me walking around without glasses. You can get from point A to point B. Especially if there are people around to guide you. But you miss out on the richness of life in between. I could go to the grand canyon and miss out on its majesty because I couldn't see beyond a few feet in front of me. Everything else was swirls of color. I would have known there was a huge crack in the ground, but the details that really make the grand canyon pop in ones memory wouldn't have been there.

The same is true of scripture. The big things will pop out at you, but the nuances are lost without study. Effective study of scripture I believe starts with a good Hermaneutic. 

Posts 790
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 3:39 PM

I apologize for being out of line and if I insulted someone I'm sorry. I'm not anti academic by a long shot though and if my post said otherwise once again I'm sorry.

Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut on that Embarrassed

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 5:18 PM

James Hiddle:

I apologize for being out of line and if I insulted someone I'm sorry. I'm not anti academic by a long shot though and if my post said otherwise once again I'm sorry.

I wasn't insulted :) and I hope I didn't insult you.

For what its worth I had laser surgery and see quite well now :) but that didn't fit the corollary :)

Posts 790
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 5:45 PM

abondservant:

James Hiddle:

For what its worth I had laser surgery and see quite well now :) but that didn't fit the corollary :)

No you didn't insult me. And I just want to clarify that I am in no way anti academic and I probably bit off more than I chewed when I made that post considering that I don't even have either of those resources yet. But sometimes I shoot off my mouth and I don't think straight.

Posts 3115
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 5:46 PM

James Hiddle:

abondservant:

James Hiddle:

No you didn't insult me. And I just want to clarify that I am in no way anti academic and I probably bit off more than I chewed when I made that post considering that I don't even have either of those resources yet. But sometimes I shoot off my mouth and I don't think straight.

Happens to the best of us!

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 790
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 5:59 PM

I did bookmark the Bl100 class though. Wish I had the money to get it however.

Posts 1083
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 6:58 PM

I also got the Bl100 code and downloaded it, I am working on it when / if i get any spare time..

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 7:28 PM

James Hiddle:

abondservant:

James Hiddle:

I can completely relate :)

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 7:28 PM

Lee:

I also got the Bl100 code and downloaded it, I am working on it when / if i get any spare time..

What are your thoughts thus far Lee?

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS