The Fall in ancient texts other than the Hb. scriptures

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 18 2014 6:39 AM

Is there or are there any resources that parallel the Edenic Fall with ancient cultures. 

I know there are creation and flood and other types of 'stories' but are there any that specifically talk about a Fall?

mm.

mm.

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 6:42 AM

Also, how would I go about searching for a Fall in other cultures in my library?

mm.

Posts 2548
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 8:40 AM

If you have L6 you can open a passage guide and go to Gen 3.1-7 and open the ancient literature section for many references that may prove helpful. You could also run a search against your library or collections using <gen 3.1-7>.

Hope these get you started.

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 9:39 AM

I get tons of hits in the ancient lit section. Just skimming through them though, there doesn't seem to be an illusions to ANE stories of an Adam & Eve type of Fall.

For example. Did the Sumerians (or any other ANE culture) have a couple or person who walked with and had a perfect personal relation with his/her deity? Something happens and that relationship is not only destroyed, but there's a banishment as well, but with a future restoration through a divine being.

mm.

Posts 1505
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 10:16 AM

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/84755.aspx

(I still haven't borrowed the book from the university library)

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 10:25 AM

Did we/I ever 'suggest' this book?

H.-J.van der Wal:

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/84755.aspx

(I still haven't borrowed the book from the university library)

mm.

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 10:29 AM

Searching for this idea I came across this article. It's only in a pericopic copy form, but you can read the full article here.

Many of these accounts were written down in different countries, cultures, and languages for various reasons. We have found accounts of creation and the flood. What has not been found is a specific account of the fall (Fretheim 2005:71).

mm.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS