Search Example: Which animals are listed in the Gospels?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1502
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 20 2014 10:04 AM

Today for one reason or another the topic came up at lunch of what types of animals are named in the Gospels. We had a good time trying to think of as many as we could. Afterwards, I thought I would try finding the answer with Verbum 6, and I must say, it was quite easy. Smile

Here are the steps:

1. In the Bible search tab, limit your search to the "Gospels". Then type "animal". From the dropdown, select the "sense" animal.

Run the search. This will search for the sense of "animal" and also all subsenses, which include all the specific animals! (BTW, if you want to search for ONLY the sense "animal" without the subsenses, you can do so adding the equals sign, <Sense = animal>).

Now is where it gets really good. What if I actually want a list of all the animals? Verbum 6 can do that very easily as well. Just select "Save as Word List" from the dropdown. 

Sort the list by "Gloss" if you like.

Note that apparently there is an error in the results! The results include "courtyard; palace", which is obviously not an animal!!

To figure out why this is the case, go back to your search panel, and switch over to the Analysis View. Then organize by Lemma and look for the corresponding lemma, αὐλή.

It is from John 10:1. If we look at the Reverse Interlinear data, we can see what is happening.

The whole phrase "dwelling of the sheep" is being translated with one word, "sheepfold", so that when we run the search on the English translation for <Sense animal>, all three Greek words are being returned.

It is easy to fix this, however, if you remember that all of the basic tagging is done on the Greek text of the SBLGNT. So, let's run the search over on the SBLGNT.

Notice that there are the same number of verse results, 152, but now we have 188 hits instead of 203. So, that means we have "shed" 15 false hits that were caused by the way the English translation translated the Greek words, as in the case of "sheepfold" translating "dwelling of the sheep". 

Now, rerun the Save as Word List. 

Now everything works correctly, with no false hits. You can then select Print/Export and export the list to Excel if you like. 

Now, admittedly, having a complete and accurate list of what animals appear in the Gospels is probably not too useful for most people! But hopefully the principles illustrated can be useful - how <Sense> searches can search subsenses, the ability to create Word lists from searches, and how the SBLGNT is your go-to text when you need to make sure the tagging is correct.

Posts 1821
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 10:11 AM

Thanks for showing a simple but powerful feature in Logos/Verbum 6.

Posts 9910
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 10:12 AM

Fr Devin Roza:
hopefully the principles illustrated can be useful - how <Sense> searches can search subsenses, the use of Word lists, and how the SBLGNT is your go-to text when you need to make sure the tagging is correct.

Very much so! This is really great - you should have this reposted in the Verbum blog.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 10482
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 10:40 AM

Fr Devin Roza:

It is easy to fix this, however, if you remember that all of the basic tagging is done on the Greek text of the SBLGNT. So, let's run the search over on the SBLGNT.

Interesting. Logos 6.0a RC-2 Mac OS 10.10.1—Got 200+ hits when searching ESV or NKJV. However, when I searched SBLGNT Logos returned no hits

Seems we have a bug here. Will start a new thread in the beta forum.

Posts 289
Mike McKnelly | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 11:13 AM

how about an LN numbers search?

Posts 18643
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 11:25 AM

Excellent tutorial, Fr Devin! Thank you.

Posts 275
Bob Soule | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 11:56 AM

Jack Caviness:

[Interesting. Logos 6.0a RC-2 Mac OS 10.10.1—Got 200+ hits when searching ESV or NKJV. However, when I searched SBLGNT Logos returned no hits

I am on Logos 6.0a RC-2 Mac OS 10.10.1 as well and I get the same hits as Fr Devin in the SBLGNT. I wonder if something is wrong with your bible index. Maybe a Rebuild Bible Index would fix this.

Posts 10482
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 12:14 PM

Bob Soule:
I wonder if something is wrong with your bible index. Maybe a Rebuild Bible Index would fix this.

The problem seems to have been beyond that BUG: Search with SBLGNT returns 0 results The final somewhat drastic action seems to have fixed the problem.

Posts 776
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 3:56 PM

This is beautiful, Fr Devin. But I read this entire thread for how well you all did during your lunch conversation.

Smile

Posts 8848
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 4:15 PM

Thanks for sharing your search process Fr Devin.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1502
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 21 2014 1:54 AM

Mike McKnelly:

how about an LN numbers search?

Better with simply <ln 4> - interestingly this gives almost the same results, with 204 hits in 153 verses in the RSV, that is, one more hit and one more verse. But, there is at least one very debatable hit, which is visible in your image there, Lk 9:42, not present in the <Sense animal> hits. 

If you wanted to do a detailed comparison of which verse are returned by LN vs. which verses are returned by <Sense>, you could use this method here

Posts 1502
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 21 2014 2:01 AM

Lew Worthington:

This is beautiful, Fr Devin. But I read this entire thread for how well you all did during your lunch conversation.

Smile

LOL. Well, since you asked, we did quite well! We were missing "egg" (a debatable one, anyway), maybe we forgot dog?, we forgot sea monster as well! We also debated whether there were lions in the Gospels, and correctly remembered there weren't... although we did agree John the Baptist would have really loved a lion skin jacket.

BTW, the conversation came up because one of us had recently been to the excavations at Magdala, where they have a Gospel zoo, with the animals found in the Gospel. Some exciting excavations there - for a nice summary check out here and here and here

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS