Logos 6 Home Page trigger switch to GPU (more power hungry)

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1002
LimJK | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 20 2014 6:31 PM

Hi,

I recalled I reported this in Logos 4 for Mac long time ago, it seem to have came back on Logos 6 for Mac.

When the Home page appear, I noticed that it forces my system to switch to the more power hungry Discrete GPU. From the screen shot below there is nothing graphically intensive that my Battery friendly Integrated Graphics cannot handle.  This is a concern especially for some of us who operate on battery for extended period of the day.

Please see this for suggestion on solution for such type of situation https://gfx.io/switching.html By the way I noticed that some Logos website pages also exhibit such behavior.

I am running Logos 6.0a (6.0.1.0032)

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Late 2013 2.6GHz RAM:16GB SSD:500GB macOS Sierra 10.12.3 | iPhone 7 Plus iOS 10.2.1

Posts 304
LogosEmployee
Martin Potter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 7:54 PM

LimJK:
Please see this for suggestion on solution for such type of situation https://gfx.io/switching.html By the way I noticed that some Logos website pages also exhibit such behavior.

We already have that setting, which is why the application does not generally require use of the GPU. If the OS is switching to using the dedicated GPU, there is a feature in the web views (which the Home Page is one of those in Logos 6) that it has determined needs that functionality. I will create a case, but there is little we can do to control when the OS switches between graphics cards.

Mac Developer
Faithlife

Posts 1002
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 21 2014 7:01 AM

Martin Potter:

We already have that setting, which is why the application does not generally require use of the GPU. If the OS is switching to using the dedicated GPU, there is a feature in the web views (which the Home Page is one of those in Logos 6) that it has determined needs that functionality. I will create a case, but there is little we can do to control when the OS switches between graphics cards.

Martin,

Thanks for the reply ... Yes, Apple is no more "it just works"

Observation:

• On your Logos website, I noticed that certain pages will trigger the switch to Discrete GPU, however, it seems to know how to switch back to Integrated GPU when page content changes or another page gets loaded
  • However, on Logos 6, once I start Home Page, it triggers discrete GPU. It will never switch back to Integrated GPU until I Quit Logos 6.
  • My current workaround is to start Logos with a Blank Page (ie. Not to load the home page) when I do not have Power Connected.

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Late 2013 2.6GHz RAM:16GB SSD:500GB macOS Sierra 10.12.3 | iPhone 7 Plus iOS 10.2.1

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS