Logos 7 - What should it offer?

Page 11 of 14 (279 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > ... Last »
This post has 278 Replies | 20 Followers

Posts 8
Andrew Vines | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 27 2015 2:17 PM

I don't think anyone has mentioned the need for more resources in non-English languages.

I know the West is where the money is, but the East is where the future is.

Logos has transformed what I can do in terms of using original languages in sermon prep and research, imagine the impact on the kingdom if this software could be used in the same way by native speakers of Chinese, Arabic, Hindi, Russian...

A good starting point would be to at least have interlinear support for the Arabic Bible (Smith Van Dyke & Kitab Al Haya')

Posts 1837
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 27 2015 2:37 PM

Andrew Vines:
imagine the impact on the kingdom if this software could be used in the same way by native speakers of Chinese, Arabic, Hindi, Russian...

We've had an international focus for the last two years. We're working to localize and build comprehensive libraries in the following languages (in addition to English and Spanish):

1. German
  2. French
  3. Portuguese
  4. Chinese
  5. Korean
  6. Dutch

After we successfully get these off the ground, we'll continue expansion into other languages as well.

Posts 10229
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 27 2015 2:55 PM

Phil, that's absolutely fabulousisimo (not a real spanish word; I'm practicing).  Korean especially (for my neck of the western US woods).

Now with any luck and all, the Japanese interlinear copyright will have run out by 'after we successfully get these off the ground', and Japanese can quickly use the interlinear!

Posts 2947
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 27 2015 8:39 PM

Phil Gons:

Andrew Vines:
imagine the impact on the kingdom if this software could be used in the same way by native speakers of Chinese, Arabic, Hindi, Russian...

We've had an international focus for the last two years. We're working to localize and build comprehensive libraries in the following languages (in addition to English and Spanish):

1. German
  2. French
  3. Portuguese
  4. Chinese
  5. Korean
  6. Dutch

After we successfully get these off the ground, we'll continue expansion into other languages as well.

Very good Phil. Please don't forget Amharic Bible  as well.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 10
Sanford Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 28 2015 11:58 PM

Bryan S.:
A manual is different than the the help menu in the top right corner, a manual I can read and study, the help ? is designed to help me when I realize I have a problem. A Manual I can read and study to see what the software can do  There are features in this program a lot of people don't even know about well for the simple fact they don't know the feature exista manual would fix this. Plus a manual explains things in great detail it doesn't just hit the high points it hits every point and this is why a lot of people are frustrated with Logos.

YesYesYes I like that Bryan! The aspect of a manual covering all the things the software can do is especially desirable.

The following review about Logos 6 (Platinum) should be read and considered by the Logos developers. It says it better than I could so I decided to post it. If you want to read the complete review, go to Logos 6 Platinum and the review should be there.                                                                                       Or just click this link https://www.logos.com/product/43521/platinum. The font was either too small or too blurry so I took two screen shots and put them together:)

With such a powerful software and all the work that has gone into it, it is only reasonable that a manual explaining ALL the features should come along with a package automatically. So yes, a manual should come along with Logos 7 or at least the manual by Morris Proctor. And if it is incorporated, then thanks a ton! Big Smile

Posts 1509
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 1 2015 5:15 AM

Phil Gons:

Italian is very important, especially for the Verbum market.

Posts 16
painfree | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 2 2015 6:41 AM

I would add, examine the distinctive features of Accordance and then at the least implement them in Logos but of course while you are at it, do the same with BibleWorks.

But really what I would like is to see Logos go back to its roots and forget about implementing more functionality in tablets/smartphones which in no way have the processing power of even 2 year older entry level PC CPUs and concentrate on improving the functionality of the software on laptop and desktop machines as it is clear that the division in labor is hampering your PC software development.

This would allow your resources to be directed towards improving the PC software in terms of features and performance which those of us who like myself have spent many hundreds/thousands of dollars on would appreciate.

Matthew 10:8

Posts 854
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 6 2015 3:26 PM

Sorry for joining in the discussion so late. Here are a few ideas that I think could be useful.

3 new Logos Ideas

1] Domain categories: What if our SEARCH RESULTS could be returned within various domain ranges of a sort? Just like L-N has domain categories, any search (or perhaps select searches) would populate within certain [perhaps user defined?] categories. [Logos already has other such categories built into the software. These might be put to other uses.] It might be enormously helpful. Verse Searches in BASIC Searches, for example, might be returned in various domain categories which would be listed in order from greatest number of hits to least number of hits. The theological implications would be fairly apparent and the narrowing of search results in this way could be enormously helpful.  2] Whenever one uses the Right-mouse-click feature on a GREEK word it opens a Context Menu. If this could be linked to the Morphology Chart which is already available in Logos it would enable us to see ANY Greek word with its conjugations as found in the N.T. I am asking if there could be a Morphology Chart option on that menu when one selects LEMMA on the right side of the menu. 3] up - down arrows on the Text Comparison menu bar.       -- blessings in Him --
Posts 174
Derek Browning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 7 2015 2:35 PM

Did anyone mention online blog searches? Give the software owner the choice to tag several popular blogs and search them for specific topics from within logos?

Posts 32
Dorothy Pollock | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 7 2015 4:19 PM

Logos 7? oh.... I am still recovering from recently buying Logos 6 and not understanding that not all levels had the same data sets - I thought the other levels just had more resources. My mistake entirely that I thought data sets could be added on without going up to other levels. My starter kind of became a dead end in a moment;=)
Don't get me wrong, I love Logos and am glad I was confused as I would never have gotten it had I realized. It was a lot of money as is and even more as I add commentaries etc.
So I guess I wish the pricing structure would be reviewed as some of us who are not Pastors/Teachers and so forth and do not need another 275 resources but would love to see the psalms or parables explorer or a timeline or atlas, even in a "lite" form ...can't hurt to dream!

Dorothy

Posts 21998
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 7 2015 7:39 PM

Dorothy Pollock:

Logos 7? oh.... I am still recovering from recently buying Logos 6 and not understanding that not all levels had the same data sets - I thought the other levels just had more resources. My mistake entirely that I thought data sets could be added on without going up to other levels. My starter kind of became a dead end in a moment;=)

Dorothy

Hi Dorothy

Are you aware you can add datasets using the crossgrades - particularly have a look at the feature one?

https://www.logos.com/compare?productIds=45040,45041,45042

Graham

Posts 32
Dorothy Pollock | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 8 2015 6:10 AM

Hi Graham,

Thanks so much for the information. I thought so too awhile back when I was frantically looking for a path, however, when I inquired I was told
"The simple answer to your question is that you do not have a library that can utilize the Feature Crossgrade. The Starter does not have enough resources to utilize the tools in the Crossgrade"

My brother has Gold. When I visit him, I will at least get a chance to see all the cool toys I am missing ;=)

Dorothy

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 8 2015 1:52 PM

Dorothy Pollock:
you do not have a library that can utilize the Feature Crossgrade. The Starter does not have enough resources to utilize the tools in the Crossgrade"

I have bought a number of cross grades through the years. I've not ever seen/heard that rationale before.

Yes, it is true that Starter by itself will not have nor will it support all of the new features etc -- but the whole point of the most expensive  FEATURE cross grade (with its extra resources) is that it should "light up" ALL the new L6 features.

Was someone trying to sell you a bigger Base package?

That answer pretty much goes against everything I have seen advertised about cross-grades.

Perhaps you should call a second salesperson?  Smile ie like getting a second opinion from a doctor, contractor or the IRS?

Regards -- really, you should call back and ask for some one else!

Regards, SteveF

Posts 32
Dorothy Pollock | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 8 2015 2:08 PM

Yes, after paying about 250.00 for the starter after a discount, it was suggested I spend another 280 or so after a 15% discount to go up 1 level to Bronze. I should have asked if that included the cost of marriage counseling after the Discover bill arrived ;=)

Perhaps I will ask again. I have had no reason to doubt his sincerity but I will check if it seems to others that there is a possibility of another avenue to adding data-sets. I explained at the time that getting 275 resources when I only was looking to add a few Datasets seemed a stretch, especially since I think it gave me maybe one atlas.

I understand that the other levels are a premium for that reason and that the work done to create such a terrific software such as LOGOS 6, is going to be pricey. I do not want to seem like I think I should be getting everything for no money. But I figured that CrosssGrade was maybe for LOGOS 5 after that even though this line had me hopeful:

"Make your current library even better by adding all of Logos 6’s new tools, media, and datasets to your software, without adding more books."
Seemed perfect.
And as I was logged in I thought it would KNOW what I had and not offer it.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Dorothy

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 8 2015 3:46 PM

Everything that's found to be useful in L6 without those items not found useful.  Also, a choice of language on home page (I'm not going to buy items in another language if they're already in English (well, maybe German excepted).  Ability to eliminate the verse of the day from the home page (is that supposed to be of some use?).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 8 2015 3:51 PM

Dorothy Pollock:

Yes, after paying about 250.00 for the starter after a discount, it was suggested I spend another 280 or so after a 15% discount to go up 1 level to Bronze. I should have asked if that included the cost of marriage counseling after the Discover bill arrived ;=)

Perhaps I will ask again. I have had no reason to doubt his sincerity but I will check if it seems to others that there is a possibility of another avenue to adding data-sets. I explained at the time that getting 275 resources when I only was looking to add a few Datasets seemed a stretch, especially since I think it gave me maybe one atlas.

I understand that the other levels are a premium for that reason and that the work done to create such a terrific software such as LOGOS 6, is going to be pricey. I do not want to seem like I think I should be getting everything for no money. But I figured that CrosssGrade was maybe for LOGOS 5 after that even though this line had me hopeful:

"Make your current library even better by adding all of Logos 6’s new tools, media, and datasets to your software, without adding more books."
Seemed perfect.
And as I was logged in I thought it would KNOW what I had and not offer it.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Dorothy

Get one of the crossgrades. I'll leave it to you to decide which one although the more expensive one is loaded up with reverse interlinear garbage—just a word of warning.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 21998
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 8 2015 3:52 PM

George Somsel:

Ability to eliminate the verse of the day from the home page (is that supposed to be of some use?).

You can deselect this using the settings gear at the top right of the homepage

Posts 32
Dorothy Pollock | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 8 2015 3:57 PM

Thank you George. I sent CC another email requesting a clarification on my eligibility for the features CrossGrade.

Dorothy

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 9 2015 6:54 AM

Please add to Logos 7 a method for being able to highlight certain portions of a book and then export and print the highlights even if there are multiple highlights on any given page.  It doesn't seem possible to do that at the moment, but it seems as though that functionality ought to be desirable.

Posts 21998
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 9 2015 7:12 AM

Rayner:
a method for being able to highlight certain portions of a book and then export and print the highlights even if there are multiple highlights on any given page

I know there are issues with exporting highlights to documents but printing should work today. Are you seeing issues?

Page 11 of 14 (279 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > ... Last » | RSS