Logos 7 - What should it offer?

Page 8 of 14 (279 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last »
This post has 278 Replies | 20 Followers

Posts 22384
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 12 2014 2:45 AM

Lynden Williams:
Hovering my mouse over any of them does not give a preview.

Sorry - you meant in the Documents menu not in a resource.

Would you want this to preview the first note in a Document or preview all of them?

Posts 6515
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 12 2014 2:57 AM

Graham Criddle:

Lynden Williams:
Hovering my mouse over any of them does not give a preview.

Sorry - you meant in the Documents menu not in a resource.

Would you want this to preview the first note in a Document or preview all of them?

Preview when hovering over the note

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 22384
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 12 2014 3:09 AM

Lynden Williams:
Preview when hovering over the note

Sorry - I must be missing your point.

In the Documents menu you just find Notes Documents not individual notes so you can't "hover over a note".

Are you suggesting that the menu be extended so individual notes are shown as well?

Posts 6515
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 12 2014 3:12 AM

I often type my sermons in notes. As in my example, I would like to hover my mouse over the name of the note and see a preview.

The note is not attached to any Bible passage.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 1147
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 12 2014 5:41 AM

I've not read all of the thread. My single biggest suggestion for L7:

DO SOMETHING ABOUT ALL THE MISSING LINKS.

I use Logos primarily as a fancy ebook reader. In most things it's great, and I use only a small fraction of its capabilities. It frustrates me considerably, though, as my library grows, that so many of my books aren't link together properly. This to me is Logos's biggest shortcoming.

Besides going back and fixing older resources, I've made some suggestions in another thread

-Run some automated macros on the old books to see what references they can catch and automatically link. Have a human check questionable ones at the end. When in doubt, don't link. This should be able to improve some resources with little added cost. It wouldn't catch everything, but I'd rather have 40 or 50 or 80% of citations [of resources not yet tagged] have working links than 0.

-For the example you posted: there's no reason why the software shouldn't be able to grab the reference after the book that's already partially tagged--e.g., it should be able to look ahead from TDNT to 9:189-219, grab it and intelligently parse the link.

-Why can't we right click on some text like "TDNT" and be able to have the software search our library to see if there is a title that matches? If we can't have links for everything, that would at least save us some clicking on getting it open.

-Similarly, why can't we right-click on text, have the software intelligently parse it, and throw it up on the command line for opening? If I type "Open TDNT" up there, it will open. If I go to the locator bar in TDNT and type "9:189-219" it will go there. Why can the software intelligently parse this for me if I right click on it and tell it to, even if it isn't tagged?

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 12 2014 5:46 AM

That would be an awesome feature:

Sean:
-Similarly, why can't we right-click on text, have the software intelligently parse it, and throw it up on the command line for opening? If I type "Open TDNT" up there, it will open. If I go to the locator bar in TDNT and type "9:189-219" it will go there. Why can the software intelligently parse this for me if I right click on it and tell it to, even if it isn't tagged?

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 570
Schumitinu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 13 2014 3:09 AM

Adam Olean:

On a related note, although in some cases it may be too much to ask, it would be great to have some of these data sets and "interactive media" tools integrated together better so that they could be easily viewed, used, or accessed (by toggling between them or any other means) from the same biblical text (e.g., discourse databases, propositional outlines, psalms/proverbs explorers, along w/ other tagging, etc.). I don't necessarily mean displaying all that data at one time because obviously many data sets and tools may be focused on different aspects, features, or levels of the text, which may make such integration impractical and undesirable. I do hope, however, that the content team continues to keep integration in mind with respect to content, tools, and the user-interface—just as they have done so well with many data sets and features already. That said, if better integration meant not having, for example, the Psalms Explorer, I would sacrifice better integration (e.g., displaying morphology, sense data, etc.).

I agree with Adam! Better integration means better accessibility. But Logos 6 has already implemented some of it. The inline search would be one example. Or the Information tool showing Literary Typing, Cultural Concepts, Semantic Feature etc. But I still have a few things I'd like to be able to access with one or two clicks, especially from within a Bible resource. This would include syntactic force, semantic roles etc.

Another suggestion concerns the notes. I know that many have commented on the note system that is within Logos already. And it seems that many are not happy with the way it is and functions right now. Maybe two things could be improved and implemented. One, it would be nice if we could stack notes documents together. To compare it with Evernote, in Evernote you have your notebooks with individual note files in it. This would be the note documents with its notes in Logos. But in Evernote you have the option to stack notebooks together. In Logos something like this would help us to better organize our notes. They could be stacked by topic, Bible reference, Bible books etc. And two, it would be really nice if we from within the right click menu could choose the correct note document to attach a note or highlighting to. So often I find myself wanting to add a note or highlighting but usually the right note document is not open. Or a particular note goes to another note document than the one I'm working with. If Logos would add the option to open the correct note document to the right click menu that would be a great help.
Also, it appears that if you set a style as a default, it becomes the default for every note document. This should be saved as a default for just that one note document. Because naturally each note document will have a different style, so as to separate and distinguish different kinds of notes. But maybe this is already possible.

Posts 22384
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 13 2014 3:17 AM

Schumitinu:
But in Evernote you have the option to stack notebooks together. In Logos something like this would help us to better organize our notes. They could be stacked by topic, Bible reference, Bible books etc.

Have you looked at Favorites as a way of organising your notes? See https://wiki.logos.com/Favorites#The_power_of_Favorites for some background

Posts 3735
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 13 2014 3:43 AM

Posts 570
Schumitinu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 13 2014 5:26 PM

Graham Criddle:

Have you looked at Favorites as a way of organising your notes? See https://wiki.logos.com/Favorites#The_power_of_Favorites for some background

Yes, good idea!

Posts 179
Matthew Langlois | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 15 2014 8:33 AM

Bob Pritchett:

Wait -- I already know the answer! "Fix annoying-thing in Logos 6 first!" :-)

And we will! Multiple Logos 6.x releases are already scheduled, and you can help us prioritize improvements, optimizations, etc.

Visit http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-6, which has just been updated to reflect Logos 6 changes.

Re-distribute your votes! Sort by 'Hot' or 'New' to look for things that aren't already at the top of the list.

We really do pay attention to UserVoice -- it's one of the best ways to get your request to the top of our list.

And after you've helped us prioritize the Logos 6.x path, post your crazy / wild / big idea for Logos 7 here. Should we have a new data set? A completely new feature area? More videos? More teaching material? A cuneiform word processor? Scanned images of original manuscripts? Manual categorization of theologians? Bible words tagged by emotive impact?

A cuneiform word processor, YES!!

More videos, YES!

Scanned images of original manuscripts, YES!

Posts 179
Matthew Langlois | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 15 2014 8:36 AM

Latin tools and dataset. Latin bible word study. Eventual fully fleshed out language capabilities as we have in Hebrew and Greek. 

Cheers

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 21 2014 1:44 PM

I don't know that this applies to Logos 7 or just the catalog of resources in general. The only real frustration I have with the software is when I go to cite a book and the Logos edition does not have page numbers. I cannot understand why some of the books do not include page numbers. One resource that I use often, I have to go get the print volume off of the shelf and find the place in the print volume to get the page number for citation. Could we please get page numbers included on all the resources? 

Posts 1064
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 21 2014 3:39 PM

Yes

Posts 1443
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 7:10 AM

I've already asked for the following navigational changes in Logos 6 and very much want to see them made there, but if hopes are dashed, then no later than Logos 7.

1)  Allow for a larger temporary pop-up window for scripture reference links. When hovering the mouse over a scripture reference link that has a range of verses, make the temporary pop-up window large enough to display all the verses in the link provided there is room on the screen to do so.  As it currently works, the size of the temporary pop-up window generally limits the display to just 3-5 verses (depending on verse length) even though there is plenty of room on the screen to display a temporary pop-up window large enough to display all the verses in the link.

2) Provide a larger pop-up window when right-clicking on a word in a resource. When right-clicking on a word, make the pop-up window large enough to eliminate the need to scroll through options in the pop-up window, provided there is room on the screen to do so.  As it currently works, every time I right-click on a word to get a definition, the option to get a definition is not visible in the pop-up window and requires scrolling to reach it, even though there is plenty of room on the screen for the pop-up window to display all options without having to scroll to see them.

3) Add "Highlight" and "Erase Highlight" options to the pop-up window displayed when right clicking on a word or a selected range of text. The highlighter used would default to your most recently selected highlighter, same as the current "Alt + K" keystroke shortcut does.  The erase highlight option would work the same as the "Ctrl + Shift + K" keystroke shortcut does.

4) Add "Undo" & "Redo" icons in the screen header area where you see Documents, Guides, and Tools. These would work like the "Ctrl + Z" and "Ctrl + Y" keystroke shortcuts do, although I would like to see them apply to highlighting which they don't currently do.

5) When doing a search from the "Help" panel, have all occurrences of the search term highlighted in the search results.

Posts 2835
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 7:11 AM

Personal Books improvement - such as making PB available on the iPhone / iPad;  PDF conversion; some help in dealing with footnotes; inclusion of audio / video in personal books.  Why audio / video in PB? 

Touch screen friendly interface!

Faster!

Thank you, Mr. Bob, for this wonderful study tool we call Logos Bible Software.  It has truly been a blessing to me over the last 20 years (or slightly more) that I have used it.  And you continue to amaze me.  We are never satisfied, of course. You have created an ever more demanding monster in us.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 8:29 AM

RAusdahl:

2) Provide a larger pop-up window when right-clicking on a word in a resource. When right-clicking on a word, make the pop-up window large enough to eliminate the need to scroll through options in the pop-up window, provided there is room on the screen to do so.  As it currently works, every time I right-click on a word to get a definition, the option to get a definition is not visible in the pop-up window and requires scrolling to reach it, even though there is plenty of room on the screen for the pop-up window to display all options without having to scroll to see them.

Yes, please!

Charlene

Posts 855
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 8:41 AM

I'll go over and have a look at the User-Voice page, but off the top of my head, the Perseus resources (only a thousand or so) share either a generic description or have no description at all. I am unfamiliar with many of these so a description would be helpful. Some of the other suggestions are certainly a higher priority, but I suppose this one does have merit. 

Here are a few of my suggestions (don't remember if I had posted these at any other time):

With the text Comparison window, there is a check option for default - vertical or horizontal display Cannot there be a default option for - open as floating window OR open in a docked position?  BECAUSE: Whenever you open up in horizontal mode, everything is all schrunched. We have to then manipulate the window to another space in order to see the comparisons - as it is now, this is not very intuitive. In “CITED BY” it would make life easier if we had a “show only checked boxes” option. To click and drag resources up and down takes ‘forever' without this option.  Also: If we had an option to reveal or hide the Collections, Journals or Books that show up in the list, It would make CITED BY a lot more manageable. Maybe a right mouse click on a Series or Collection that already shows up in the Cited By area could allow us the option of hiding. It could be enabled again in the Collections area. Lastly, it would be very helpful to me if the Right-Click menu allowed a choice (under Lemma for example) for "Search LXX". I don't find this as easy to do with L6 - maybe it's just me, but it takes me longer to get LXX search results.
Posts 855
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 9:12 AM

My "million dollar"suggestion (LOL) is :

Build upon the ability to drag Resources up onto the menu bar in Logos - which is fantastic. (I love it; I use it.) But how about allowing the ability to create folders on the menu bar - these might have categories of resources [yes, similar to Collections] which would allow us to group similar resources into a folder for easy access to many more "go to" books. The folders might have different icons to distinguish them one from another (like we can do now) and by hovering a mouse over the folder, a drop down menu reveals the choices and a simple click opens it .

To me, this makes better use of the real estate up there :)

NOTE: the difference between this idea and the Parallel Resource icon should be evident. Ease of use and accessibility are the immediate benefits.

Posts 1506
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 10:22 AM

Charlene:

RAusdahl:

Yes, please!

Yes

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Page 8 of 14 (279 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last » | RSS