Logos 7 - What should it offer?

Page 9 of 14 (279 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > ... Last »
This post has 278 Replies | 20 Followers

Posts 5572
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 11:25 AM

Ron Corbett:
Build upon the ability to drag Resources up onto the menu bar in Logos - which is fantastic. (I love it; I use it.) But how about allowing the ability to create folders on the menu bar - these might have categories of resources [yes, similar to Collections] which would allow us to group similar resources into a folder for easy access to many more "go to" books. The folders might have different icons to distinguish them one from another (like we can do now) and by hovering a mouse over the folder, a drop down menu reveals the choices and a simple click opens it .

Doesn't Favorites do what you're asking (albeit not on the menu bar)? If not, would you clarify what it is you want to do, and why Favorites is not how you'd want to do this?

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 183
Bryan S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 3:54 PM

How about a Free user manualSmile

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it's been found difficult and not tried.

Posts 28128
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 4:18 PM

Bryan S.:

Yes Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 560
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 5:22 PM

Definitely a Free user manual ! 

Posts 9165
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 5:49 PM

Bryan S.:

Big Smile

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 7:03 PM

Bryan S.:

I soooooooooo agree with this one!

Charlene

Posts 3734
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 23 2014 2:33 AM

Jesse Blevins:

Definitely a Free user manual ! 

Reminds me of an ad from a car dealership that went something like this: great deal on model x year y, comes complete with wheels, seats and doors! Plus special bonus: buy a car and get a free coffee and donut!

Posts 183
Bryan S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 23 2014 10:26 AM

Francis:
Reminds me of an ad from a car dealership that went something like this: great deal on model x year y, comes complete with wheels, seats and doors! Plus special bonus: buy a car and get a free coffee and donut!

But I bet that car came with 2 user manuals in the Glove BoxSmile

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it's been found difficult and not tried.

Posts 28281
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 23 2014 2:48 PM

Perhaps we are looking at this wrong. There is a great deal of software that no longer comes with company produced manuals. Instead you go to your local bookstore and pay an exorbitant amount for the manual of your choice ... there are several to chose from and they meet different needs. All it takes is a sufficient market to buy the manuals. So get out there and market Logos/Noet/Verbum ... we can make this happen.

Smile Yes, the glass is half-full.Wink

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 23 2014 7:13 PM

Bryan S.:

What user manual content is desired ?

What interactive tutorial(s) would be helpful ?

What datatype and search information would be prudent ? e.g. Literary Type Explorer of Biblical texts ?  Datatype explorer ?  Speaker Explorer ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 183
Bryan S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 23 2014 9:56 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Bryan S.:

What datatype and search information would be prudent ? e.g. Literary Type Explorer of Biblical texts ?  Datatype explorer ?  Speaker Explorer ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Have you never read a user manual for a software program? My Microsoft office program manual is 825 pages My CDM+ is 14 manuals over 1400 pages and there isn't one aspect of the program that isn't covered in detail and If I don't know and need to shazam it's in the manual and I don't need wiki and 14 other websites to teach me, or post a question on a forum and hope somebody will give a halfway decent answer.

That's what content is desired!

Posts 496
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 24 2014 1:26 AM

Bryan S.:

Yes

Posts 2
Sandy Turnbull | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 24 2014 2:00 AM

YesYesYes for a user manual.

In addition:

1. A user option to disable / turn off syncing.
  2. The option to disable user contributions, underlines, notes etc system wide instead of per resource.
Posts 22378
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 24 2014 2:27 AM

Hi Sandy - and welcome to the forums

Sandy Turnbull:
The option to disable user contributions, underlines, notes etc system wide instead of per resource.

Are you aware that you can choose to "not show in any resources" if you right-click the relevant filter?

Graham

Posts 2
Sandy Turnbull | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 24 2014 2:53 AM

Graham Criddle:

Hi Sandy - and welcome to the forums

Sandy Turnbull:
The option to disable user contributions, underlines, notes etc system wide instead of per resource.

Are you aware that you can choose to "not show in any resources" if you right-click the relevant filter?

Graham

Hello Graham and thank you. I wasn't aware of that option. Many thanks for taking the time to point it out to me.

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 24 2014 7:20 AM

Graham Criddle:

When did this option come about? Somehow I missed this!

Charlene

Posts 22378
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 24 2014 7:55 AM

Charlene:

Graham Criddle:

I forget exactly but it was at least a couple of years ago - https://community.logos.com/forums/t/61098.aspx 

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 24 2014 8:04 AM

Graham Criddle:

Charlene:

Graham Criddle:

I forget exactly but it was at least a couple of years ago - https://community.logos.com/forums/t/61098.aspx 

Thanks, Graham! I remember when the feature came out, but somehow I missed how I could turn it off for all resources! This is wonderful!

Charlene

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 24 2014 8:12 AM

Bryan S.:

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Bryan S.:

Keep Smiling Smile

Have you never read a user manual for a software program? My Microsoft office program manual is 825 pages My CDM+ is 14 manuals over 1400 pages and there isn't one aspect of the program that isn't covered in detail and If I don't know and need to shazam it's in the manual and I don't need wiki and 14 other websites to teach me, or post a question on a forum and hope somebody will give a halfway decent answer.

That's what content is desired!

The 825 pages about Microsoft Office usage lacks Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) documentation, which explains technical details about writing VBA code to extend Office functionality.  Also lacking is Visual Studio documentation for creating Office plug-ins using a different language to interact with Office objects.

While reading many thousands of manual pages, support articles, blogs, wikis, bulletin boards, ... have encountered numerous examples of incomplete or contradictory information so have had to experiment to find out what works: e.g. one option for a software command worked while two other similar options would not.  Keeping software documentation up to date with bug fixes and new features is very expensive and time consuming.

An example challenge for Logos software help is documenting pop-ups and links that can be affected by prioritization.  Thankful can prioritize lexicons so right click choice of lemma has my Top 5 lemma lexicons and right click of Strongs Number has my Top 5 Strongs.  A number of lexicon resources have lemma and Strongs indexing so have used prioritized lexicons without Strong's indexing before ones with Strongs, which enables right click in resources with lemma and Strongs tagging to have right click choice of ten lexicons.

Logos 6 expanded search capabilities along with many new features.  An interactive search assistant with pickers for <People>, {Milestone}, {Literary Type}, ... would be appreciated.  Am aware Logos software has many datatypes, but do not know what is available for searching.  Dreaming of Psalms explorer metaphoric cloning to other searchable domains along with being maintained as domains expand.

Logos Help has a Table of Contents that does not fit in one screen shot:

What help content needs more explanation? e.g. description for Weight and Measures Interactive ?  Resource Priority lacks Advanced ?

What help content needs to be added? e.g. How to add documents from Faithlife ?  Link to example Search Field usage ?

Thankful for list of Search Fields in Logos Help, but wonder about range of values for each field.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 24 2014 8:21 AM

Bob Pritchett:
post your crazy / wild / big idea for Logos 7 here

Noticed a new feature in a competitor's product is dynamic interlinear.  The idea of choosing manuscripts and/or translations for interlinear lines is intriguing, especially when combined with highlighting, including visual filters.  Other lines could show tagging: speaker labels, literary type, ...

Related is expanding Personal Book Builder to allow interlinear resource creation.

Edit: competitor also has flex search so phrase “build houses” will yield results for “build houses,” “building a house,” and “the house that King Solomon built.”  Seems flex search is a kind of fuzzy search.  Extending original language root search metaphor to English synonyms would be appreciated so "build home" includes "construct house" results.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 9 of 14 (279 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > ... Last » | RSS