BUG: Layout Shortcuts

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1082
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 3 2014 10:35 AM

I have been having trouble with layouts for a while.

As discussed elsewhere, the left hand pane is a shortcut to the most recent version of the named layout, it is not a layout in itself. Deleting layouts (which seriously increases the response times of that menu) becomes a problem if it the last instance of a named layout is deleted because there is no warning, the shortcut simply disappears.

Any rate ... I was dragging a layout to the toolbar and found that the next day it did not load the latest version of the layout but loaded the instance that was current when the shortcut was created. Even when a shortcut is created by dragging from the LHS last (normally 'latest' of that name) it seems fixed to a particular instance.

Has it always been this way? Is it by design? Is it a bug? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 1007
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 3 2014 11:13 AM

I've noticed the same thing Martin, so I don't think you're doing anything wrong. In fact, I saw this happening in L5 as well so it must be a longstanding issue.

One would expect the shortcut to take you to the latest version of the named layout, but alas it does not. 

It might be worth starting a new thread with BUG in the title to highlight this to developers.

Posts 360
Bob Soule | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 3 2014 12:21 PM

Martin Folley:

Has it always been this way? Is it by design? Is it a bug? Am I doing something wrong?

It has always been that way if I am understanding your question.

The shortcut should do the same as clicking on the layout from the layout menu. If you make changes to a named layout you would need to click on "update active" for both the shortcut and named layout to reflect the changes.

Did you click on "update active" prior to exiting Logos?

Posts 5087
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 3 2014 1:16 PM

Bob Soule:
The shortcut should do the same as clicking on the layout from the layout menu. If you make changes to a named layout you would need to click on "update active" for both the shortcut and named layout to reflect the changes.

I keep a short cut icon on my bar for this very reason - there is also a keyboard short-cut to Update Active Layout.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 1082
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 3 2014 2:50 PM

Bob Soule:

That is the point. When a layout is updated, the toolbar shortcut does not use that updated layout.

I also have a update current layout button on the toolbar but I hardly use it .. there is no UI indication that the layout was updated ... so I usually use the update menu so that I can 'confirm' the save.

Posts 360
Bob Soule | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 8:15 AM

Martin Folley:

Bob Soule:

That is the point. When a layout is updated, the toolbar shortcut does not use that updated layout.

I also have a update current layout button on the toolbar but I hardly use it .. there is no UI indication that the layout was updated ... so I usually use the update menu so that I can 'confirm' the save.

I do see what you are seeing when I "update active" and then click on the shortcut in the same Logos session. However, when I restart Logos and try the shortcut again it does reflect the changed layout. It looks like the shortcuts for layouts are only updated on starting Logos.

Do you see the same thing or is your shortcut still out of sync even after restart of Logos 6.

Posts 26201
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 2:59 PM

Martin Folley:
Any rate ... I was dragging a layout to the toolbar and found that the next day it did not load the latest version of the layout but loaded the instance that was current when the shortcut was created.

I understand the issue of the shortcut not using the latest manually saved version of the layout, remember that it is a static layout and it is not updated when you exit Logos as the current layout is saved as "Application Closed" i.e. Logos doesn't save it as the layout name in the Title bar.

I don't rely on shortcuts for loading "active" layouts, so the safest way around the issue is to use a shortcut for Update Active Layout whenever I want the layout saved.

What is your startup option for layouts in Program Settings?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1082
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 5 2014 3:06 AM

I always start with a blank layout. As often as not, I will be doing different projects at different times in the day and since L6 is slower than L5, It is quicker to start this way.

At the moment I use the layout menu and choose the layout. That is fine. I am happy to continue to do this.

I noticed on a screenshot in these forums, that layouts had been assigned shortcuts, and I was 'experimenting'. The bug is simply that even when creating a shortcut from the latest version link (LHS of the layout panel) a static version is created, and no warning is given. My expectation is that it would create a link that uses the latest version when created from the LHS.of the layout panel.

Posts 26201
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 5 2014 3:29 AM

Martin Folley:
My expectation is that it would create a link that uses the latest version when created from the LHS.of the layout panel.

Yes, that would also be my expectation.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS