As a British user, why can't I buy either of the Anglicised NIVs?

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 33 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 633
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 30 2015 2:43 PM

Rosie Perera:

I have my opinions on this whole matter, and it would have been hard for me to rein them in.

Very wise, indeed! In the words of Dirty Harry – “A man’s got to know his limitations.”

Or, appropriately, the gender neutral version – “A person’s got to know their limitations.” Wink

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential Upgrade - Large | Logos 8 Methodist & Wesleyan Platinum and Academic Professional

Posts 790
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 30 2015 5:59 PM

Brandon Rappuhn:

Mark Barnes:

Logos currently lists two Anglicised NIVs in the search results, but both of them say "This product is no longer available" when I try to click on them (I have a UK-based account). What gives?

We've managed to negotiate a revision on the contract that allows us to sell these volumes to all customers worldwide, so I've fixed the website to allow them to be sold to anyone.

https://www.logos.com/product/29979/the-holy-bible-new-international-version-anglicised

https://www.logos.com/product/33548/the-holy-bible-new-international-version-anglicised

Please let me know if either of these products are causing any troubles. Thanks--

Brandon

That's good news. Thanks Brandon and my God Bless the Faithlife team always forever!

James

Posts 161
David Roberts | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 30 2015 7:49 PM

I must say I wish all my English Bibles in Logos used British spelling,
but I realise that the company is based in America,
and that the vast majority of their resources are made for that target market/audience.

Posts 623
JAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 30 2015 9:07 PM

Long time Faithlife customers who have upgraded consistently will likely have the RI dataset for the NIV84 NT. This was promised and delivered for the initial release of Logos 4. Subsequent releases and upgrades do not include NIV84 or the relevant RI dataset.

"The Christian mind is the prerequisite of Christian thinking. And Christian thinking is the prerequisite of Christian action." - Harry Blamires, 1963

Posts 148
Sam Henderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 30 2015 11:18 PM

Mark Smith:

GregW:
The Anglicised versions don't have Reverse Interlinears at all,

Very curious, as it wouldn't seem difficult to produce these.

Thanks for the information.

I've always assumed that Logos doesn't service the Anglicised NIV in the same way as the Americanised versions is because they have negotiated the rights with Zondervan (which holds production copyright for the US and Canada only) and not with Hodder & Stoughton (who contol the production rights for the rest of the world). The labour involved in negotiating the rights to play around with the text is probably not justified by the small demand from the potential user base.

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 31 2015 12:15 AM

Sam Henderson:
The labour involved in negotiating the rights to play around with the text is probably not justified by the small demand from the potential user base.

On the other hand, the user base might be small because British (and Australian, New Zealand, South African and some Canadian) users prefer to use products that are Anglicised and fully integrated, which is the case with some competitor products. I don't think it would be a huge task to write a script to add RI to the current (2011) Anglicised NIV at least - I can understand why FL wouldn't want to do it manually, with all the work going on to create RIs for numerous other languages at present. It is, after all, only the occasional word that is different in the Anglicised NIV. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 4722
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 31 2015 1:39 AM

GregW:
On the other hand, the user base might be small because British (and Australian, New Zealand, South African and some Canadian) users prefer to use products that are Anglicised and fully integrated, which is the case with some competitor products. I don't think it would be a huge task to write a script to add RI to the current (2011) Anglicised NIV at least - I can understand why FL wouldn't want to do it manually, with all the work going on to create RIs for numerous other languages at present. It is, after all, only the occasional word that is different in the Anglicised NIV. 

You would also think that it might be fairly trivial to produce Anglicised versions of the existing stock. Perhaps with an option in the program itself. It is, after all only a matter of taking a few words and replacing them with and additional letter or two.

In fact I can live happily with the extra 'z's here and there - the real grate is Savior, Honor, etc.

Posts 22639
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 31 2015 2:19 AM

Mike Binks:
It is, after all only a matter of taking a few words and replacing them with and additional letter or two.

A little more than that - some words are replaced with different words

I don't have a complete list but i expect it is available somewhere.

Posts 1024
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 31 2015 3:38 AM

Brandon Rappuhn:

We've managed to negotiate a revision on the contract that allows us to sell these volumes to all customers worldwide, so I've fixed the website to allow them to be sold to anyone.

https://www.logos.com/product/29979/the-holy-bible-new-international-version-anglicised

https://www.logos.com/product/33548/the-holy-bible-new-international-version-anglicised

Yes

Now for things like the Jerusalem Bible, the New JB and also the Catechism of the Catholic Church so that they can be bought by those of us living within the UK please!!

Posts 4722
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 31 2015 4:03 AM

JohnB:
Now for things like the Jerusalem Bible, the New JB and also the Catechism of the Catholic Church so that they can be bought by those of us living within the UK please!!

and the people said Amen.

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 31 2015 12:24 PM

JohnB:

Brandon Rappuhn:

Yes

This is perhaps part of what the new Faithlife UK user group could focus upon.  If we can get an idea of the people who'd be interested, I'm sure there are other resources that would benefit from UK spellings.  https://faithlife.com/uk-logos-verbum-users/

Posts 1
Doug Hackney | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 9:51 AM

Hello, 

Is there any way you can negotiate for the 1984 English version, I have been a life long user of the NIV 1984, and very frustrating that it is no longer available for purchase the US.

Any help or reply would be appreciated 

Sincerely, 

Doug

Posts 28230
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 10:22 AM

Doug Hackney:
Is there any way you can negotiate for the 1984 English version

The copyright holder currently doesn't allow it. Faithlife would love to sell it if they could.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 10:30 AM

Doug Hackney:
Is there any way you can negotiate for the 1984 English version, I have been a life long user of the NIV 1984, and very frustrating that it is no longer available for purchase the US.

To the best of my knowledge this was pulled by the publisher and is no longer sold anywhere. I don't think Faithlife can sway the publisher.

Strangely, the Anglicised version is still available:  The Holy Bible: New International Version—Anglicised (1984) (NIVUK) 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS