Force Logos Into Memory

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 856
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 17 2014 8:39 AM

This may be a stupid question as it moves out of my realm of technical knowledge.

Is there a way to force Logos to load completely into memory with the goal of helping it run faster? There are several threads complaining about the slow down of Logos lately. Particularly in the latest beta. However, for the Mac this has always been a problem. I have 32GB of memory, yet Logos barely uses any of it. (on a Mac). Or, maybe it doesn't matter and I know so little I am not asking the right questions.

Posts 2775
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 17 2014 8:47 AM

This MAY be possible with something like a RAM drive, however, it is questionable whether it will work. The best thing is to invest in a SSD (even a cheap one).

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 17 2014 9:12 AM

I might have raised this possibility before

The way Logos is going, robust memory management a la Photoshop is going to be more and more critical. I think user-selectable memory management (along with other user-selectable features) tucked away somewhere (commandline?) would be great. It won't be easy though.

Posts 26975
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 17 2014 3:53 PM

Michael McLane:
Is there a way to force Logos to load completely into memory with the goal of helping it run faster?

An SSD is the best fix for overall slowness (not just Logos) if the computer has a hard drive, and it is the closest you will get to having Logos completely in memory**! Adding memory beyond 8 GB won't address slowness, but it is useful for 64-bit programs like Logos 6. Faithlife have made some changes to take advantage of the extra memory 64-bit programs can use e.g. eliminated temporary files when searching, but they haven't yet fully optimised a program that is still a work in progress in terms of software design and completeness of implementation of its features.

The consistent reports of slowness/lag can be addressed by Faithlife if it is in their code, but the more variable reports of lag/slowness come from a combination of .NET (or its Mac emulation) and the motherboard e.g. firmware, drivers, construction quality. Because it is the primary API, .NET restricts Faithlife's ability to address certain issues and there isn't much you can do about the motherboard. Your 32 GB of memory is probably slower than my 8 GB memory but if Logos used it better some issues of slowness/lag would be addressed.

** Logos data is 20 GB and more. If you had the memory it would take some time to move it from the drive to volatile memory (and back).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 856
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 17 2014 4:04 PM

Ahh, thanks. As always, Dave, thank you for the good help and feedback. My machine is fairly new with an SSD. It was just a crazy thought. Yes, I suppose it would take some time to get all that into memory anyway. Never thought of that. :-)

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 17 2014 5:23 PM

As things stand, memory is still much faster than SSD.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS