SUGG: Coming to Grips with Genesis

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 19 2014 8:19 AM

Coming to Grips with Genesis

Terry Mortenson , Thane H. Ury

Publisher: Master Books

Fourteen theological scholars address key topics related to the age of the earth, which is the crucial issue of debate in the church today regarding origins. Bringing to bear rigorous biblical, theological, and historical arguments in favor of a six-day creation, the global Flood, and a young earth, they also provide much-needed critiques of a number of contemporary old-earth interpretations of the book of Genesis.

This fresh defense of the literal history of Genesis 1-11 nicely complements other studies which focus more on the scientific evidence of young-earth creationism. As such, this book can serve as a versatile supplement to other works, but is also designed to be used as a standalone text for seminary and Bible college professors and students, pastors, missionaries, and others who want in-depth apologetic resources.

Coming to Grips with Genesis: Biblical Authority and the Age of the Earth includes:

- Forewords by Dr. John MacArthur, President of the Master's Seminary and Senior Pastor of Grace Community Church, Sun Valley, CA; and the late Dr. Henry Morris, Founder and President Emeritus, Institute for Creation Research
- Detailed analysis of the verbs of Genesis 1
- A defense of the Genesis 5 & 11 genealogies as strict chronologies
- Reasons for rejecting millions of years of death and natural evil before Adam's sin
- Careful reflection on Jesus' teachings regarding a young earth

Posts 5430
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 19 2014 9:31 AM

I can never take these kinds of books seriously, because they never take seriously the mountains of evidence supporting the notion that the earth and universe are millions and billions of years old. One thing that really chaps me is that the Young Earthers spend reams of time trying to explain why the earth is only almost 6000 years old, but they never take on the MATH that insists that universe is billions of years old. MATH. Don't misunderstand what I'm saying. I think the earth is only almost 6000 years old, too. But I don't pretend that the evidence that is out there--the MATH-- agrees with that conclusion. It doesn't. It isn't supposed to.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 5600
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 19 2014 11:36 AM

David Paul:
I can never take these kinds of books seriously, because they never take seriously the mountains of evidence supporting the notion that the earth and universe are millions and billions of years old. One thing that really chaps me is that the Young Earthers spend reams of time trying to explain why the earth is only almost 6000 years old, but they never take on the MATH that insists that universe is billions of years old. MATH. Don't misunderstand what I'm saying. I think the earth is only almost 6000 years old, too. But I don't pretend that the evidence that is out there--the MATH-- agrees with that conclusion. It doesn't. It isn't supposed to.

Your profound (and irrelevant) disagreement with a book you haven't read notwithstanding, do you think that it is one that might be financially worth it for Faithlife to put on Pre-Pub?

I imagine you wouldn't buy it. I probably wouldn't either. But I suspect that it might be worth Faithlife's while to get it.

Posts 5430
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 19 2014 2:09 PM

Sure, I might even get it myself, for oppo research.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 19 2014 3:05 PM

OK, David.  What's 'oppo' research'?

Is that like proving the 'chocolate' ruins in Israel were put there, in order to prepare for Adam?  (I'm not a good speller when it come to archaeology.)

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 159
Darcy S. Van Horn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 19 2014 4:42 PM

toughski:

Coming to Grips with Genesis

Terry Mortenson , Thane H. Ury

Publisher: Master Books

Fourteen theological scholars address key topics related to the age of the earth, which is the crucial issue of debate in the church today regarding origins. Bringing to bear rigorous biblical, theological, and historical arguments in favor of a six-day creation, the global Flood, and a young earth, they also provide much-needed critiques of a number of contemporary old-earth interpretations of the book of Genesis.

This fresh defense of the literal history of Genesis 1-11 nicely complements other studies which focus more on the scientific evidence of young-earth creationism. As such, this book can serve as a versatile supplement to other works, but is also designed to be used as a standalone text for seminary and Bible college professors and students, pastors, missionaries, and others who want in-depth apologetic resources.

Coming to Grips with Genesis: Biblical Authority and the Age of the Earth includes:

- Forewords by Dr. John MacArthur, President of the Master's Seminary and Senior Pastor of Grace Community Church, Sun Valley, CA; and the late Dr. Henry Morris, Founder and President Emeritus, Institute for Creation Research
- Detailed analysis of the verbs of Genesis 1
- A defense of the Genesis 5 & 11 genealogies as strict chronologies
- Reasons for rejecting millions of years of death and natural evil before Adam's sin
- Careful reflection on Jesus' teachings regarding a young earth

YesYesYesI have the print version, and it is well worth the investment.  If you don't believe in a 'young' earth, then have the integrity to at least hear the best arguments of those who do so that you can interact with them fairly, and not with a caricature of your own devising.  If you do hold to a young earth, you also need to read the works of those who have wrestled hard with the arguments to the contrary, rather than repeating simplistic and sometimes incorrect arguments and reasoning to support your position.  Everyone benefits by reading well-reasoned, Scripturally-based arguments on controversial issues.  No one benefits when people arrogantly dismiss other viewpoints with an "I've got the last word" attitude that is unbecoming to those who profess to follow the One who "did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant".  Truth need not fear the fires of rigorous examination, but we all lose when the hubris of some quenches honest discussion from those on both sides of a position.  My $0.02 worth.

In Him,

Darcy

Posts 5430
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 19 2014 7:00 PM

Denise:

OK, David.  What's 'oppo' research'?

Opposition research...digging into the details of those who promote opposing points of view.

Posts 5430
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 19 2014 7:25 PM

Darcy S. Van Horn:

If you don't believe in a 'young' earth, then have the integrity to at least hear the best arguments of those who do so that you can interact with them fairly, and not with a caricature of your own devising.  If you do hold to a young earth, you also need to read the works of those who have wrestled hard with the arguments to the contrary, rather than repeating simplistic and sometimes incorrect arguments and reasoning to support your position.  Everyone benefits by reading well-reasoned, Scripturally-based arguments on controversial issues.  No one benefits when people arrogantly dismiss other viewpoints with an "I've got the last word" attitude that is unbecoming to those who profess to follow the One who "did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant".  Truth need not fear the fires of rigorous examination, but we all lose when the hubris of some quenches honest discussion from those on both sides of a position.  My $0.02 worth.

Assuming that these comments are responsive to my own, I will say that it is the Christian side of the argument that I find most often engaging in the kinds of behavior you describe. The premise of their argument starts with the most fundamental notion..."it is impossible for us to be wrong, and so we can be certain the evidence MUST agree with us even before examining it. At the point we do examine it, the facets of the argument that reflect our position in the best light are the only ones worthy of drawing any attention.

The most cogent bolded phrase in the above paragraph is "Scripturally-based arguments", but not for the reason you may assume. It is cogent because there are NO Scripturally-based arguments supporting young earth. There are a few sparse statements that support the idea, but the Bible never attempts to prove the tenants that Young Earthers assume must be true if YHWH created the earth almost 6000 years ago. The Bible nowhere commands nor suggests that determining the age of the earth or the universe is something humans should concern themselves with. Most important, the Bible doesn't suggest nor state that the earth's and universe's tangible evidence will point (at present) to a 6000 year old creation. In fact, if the earth just came into being 6000 years ago and did so in a conspicuous way, the evidence for it should be so stark that no human would even consider another explanation. That alone should point to the fact that YHWH did not intend for "the evidence" of nature to indisputably support instantaneous creation. If that wasn't His indisputable intention, then it is extraordinarily unlikely He wanted the evidence to support that concept. If He wanted obvious, obvious would be OBVIOUS. Lacking that, it seems practically certain that He wanted the opposite of obvious--and that scenario would be best produced by a world that appears to have an ancient history that is merely a phantom...a deliberate phantom.

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 19 2014 7:59 PM

This is a suggestion thread. Stop the filibustering already.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS