Logos 6 Performance is a step backwards

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 20
Ed Dingess | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 20 2014 4:56 AM

I continue to get the spinning pizza and noticeable delays in navigation and a certain iterative freeze and it has been happening since L6. For the price we paid for this program, this is simply intolerable. I have a new iMac that is 6 months old. No way should I be experiencing these problems. Tech support seems blissfully unaware that people are having these issues which seems strange to me since I can readily read about them without much difficulty. 

I am on the verge of not making any more logos purchases and considering another route if things do not improve in the near future. Logos as been great, but I have noticed that internal changes to corporations oftentimes take them in a direction that ultimate ends in failure. I wonder if something like this is happening at Logos.

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 20 2014 5:14 AM

I run Logos 6 on a Windows and a Mac laptop, and I see the spinning pizza wheel and get freezes at least once every couple of days on the Mac version (I have to Force Quite the program and start again when it happens), so there is a problem there. Windows version is rock solid.

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 20 2014 5:41 AM

I have experienced both of these issues myself. Logos Tech are aware of them (for one thing I and others have told them directly) and are working to solve them. Part of the problem seems to be odd GUI issues between Logos 6 and Yosemite. It was unserendipitous (if there is such a word – well there is now!) that Logos 6 and Yosemite were launched upon an unsuspecting public at the same time. I have been on the Apple forums, but without much joy. Apple seem less willing to engage directly with their customer-base than Logos, so it's hard to draw any firm conclusions.

I hope that Logos 6 on the Mac will soon become a better experience, because the extended functionality in the new program will be very useful when it works more stably and reliably. So, Ed, you can rest assured that I'll continue to raise Mac matters with Logos. Thankfully, Bradley, Phil, Angela and others from Logos frequently participate in the forums, as does Bob Pritchett. In my experience they are a company that listens.

BTW it is worthwhile enabling logging using the Logos Logging Utility. (see here) When you get the spinning pizza, you can sample your logs and post them up here to the forums. They will be looked at – and acted upon.

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 277
Ergatees | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 20 2014 9:08 AM

Alan Macgregor:

I have experienced both of these issues myself. Logos Tech are aware of them (for one thing I and others have told them directly) and are working to solve them. Part of the problem seems to be odd GUI issues between Logos 6 and Yosemite. It was unserendipitous (if there is such a word – well there is now!) that Logos 6 and Yosemite were launched upon an unsuspecting public at the same time. I have been on the Apple forums, but without much joy. Apple seem less willing to engage directly with their customer-base than Logos, so it's hard to draw any firm conclusions.

I hope that Logos 6 on the Mac will soon become a better experience, because the extended functionality in the new program will be very useful when it works more stably and reliably. So, Ed, you can rest assured that I'll continue to raise Mac matters with Logos. Thankfully, Bradley, Phil, Angela and others from Logos frequently participate in the forums, as does Bob Pritchett. In my experience that are a company that listens.

BTW it is worthwhile enabling logging using the Logos Logging Utility. (see here) When you get the spinning pizza, you can sample your logs and post them up here to the forums. They will be looked at – and acted upon.

Every blessing

Alan

Yes

This is true. I had to call tech support this morning. I have had days of having to force quit on my MacBook Pro, Yosemite 10,10,1 software.

I was told to reinstall the software. The call was due to my not even getting Logos 5 to start.

Logos 5 on the Windows 7 was great and I do not like using it as much on the Mac. I uninstalled from the PC because of diskspace diminishing on the C drive. I have a 8gb ram and a 256gb SSD. So I thought that my investment would give me good returns for Logos software and I am not like the experience very much.

Ergatees

Posts 406
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 20 2014 9:45 AM

It's not just the MACs that are having problems. I'm on a Windows machine and posted that Logos 6 is slow and clunky. It's terrible. They need to work hard at getting this fixed.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 20 2014 11:27 AM

Ed Dingess:
I continue to get the spinning pizza and noticeable delays in navigation and a certain iterative freeze ...

Please elaborate how to repeat navigation delays, iterative freezes, ...; screen cast (or screen shots + steps) would help others to recreate spinning pizza.  Logos Logging Utility sample during spinning pizza can be examined by Faithlife developers to find slow responding code.

Started thread => Regression: 6.0a "speeding" tickets with seven repeatable items where new 64 bit code on OS X 10.10.1 performs noticeably slower than the new 64 bit code on Windows 7.

Thankful for many free program updates by Faithlife Corporation; wiki has => https://wiki.logos.com/Mac_Release_Notes_and_History Noticed Logos 6 releases more often.

Caveat: wallet is crying Crying after purchasing resources for use with Logos 6.

Logos 5.2b and Verbum 5.2b are 32 bit applications while Logos 6 and Verbum 6 are 64 bit applications.  If have adequate storage, then Logos and Verbum can be installed for the same user and used at the same time, which includes sync with Faithlife servers.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 40
James Paet | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 6:47 PM

Please allow me to repost my comment from the other thread...

I have Logos Bible Software 6.0a SR-5 6.0.1.1352 installed in windows and OSX.

In Windows, I have HP book pro 15" i5 2.3ghz 4G RAM 500 HD SATA. The speed is slow. It hung sometimes during searching and using using visual copy, etc.

In OSX, I have Macbookpro retina 15" i7 2.5ghz 16G RAM 512 SSD. The speed is very fast. I did not experience the hanging while searching, using visual copy, etc.

This is just my observation.

Cheers! 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS