Why are not User Manuals Free?

Page 1 of 12 (229 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 228 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 183
Bryan S. | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 22 2014 3:27 PM

This just kinda rubs me raw... You buy L5 Gold, upgrade to L6 Gold, upgrade that to the Silver Pentecostal & Charismatic package AND YOU WANT ME TO BUY A USER MANUEL for $14.95 Shame on you Bob and Faithlife!!!

I have never bought any product that didn't come with a user manual for free no product but yours!

https://www.logos.com/product/48987/logos-6-whats-new

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it's been found difficult and not tried.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 3:34 PM

Bryan S.:
I have never bought any product that didn't come with a user manual for free no product but yours!

Have you ever bought a third party product that helps you understand a software program?  The manual you cite is produced by Morris Proctor. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 183
Bryan S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 3:42 PM

Super.Tramp:

Bryan S.:

Have you ever bought a third party product that helps you understand a software program?  The manual you cite is produced by Morris Proctor. 

Who is the official Logos Trainer Right, which means one hand washes the other here.

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it's been found difficult and not tried.

Posts 2703
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 3:42 PM

This is rather harsh.  If you are really that bothered, better write to him.

There are many information on how to use Logos 6 around, I am not sure if that is what you want.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 183
Bryan S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 3:46 PM

Ted Hans:

This is rather harsh.  If you are really that bothered, better write to him.

There are many information on how to use Logos 6 , I am not sure if that is what you want.

I'm simply saying I think it is rather sad to charge people for a user manual when they purchase over $2000 dollars worth of software (who's really being the Grinch here)

Posts 128
Pete De Bonte | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 3:56 PM

Bryan S.:
[Morris Proctor] is the official Logos Trainer Right, which means one hand washes the other here.

Actually, I've read that Morris Proctor is not a Logos/Faithlife employee; and moreover, Logos does have free training resources. You can read about that in the comment stream at the bottom of the product page, to which you referred in your original post, but I've quoted it here:

Adam Borries (Faithlife Support):

This manual is produced by an entrepreneur (www.mpseminars.com), which we sell here as a courtesy, but we also offer free training material. Below is a list to get started, and we are adding more all the time. If there is a specific feature you can't find training for, feel free to email me personally at [adam dot borries at faithlife.com].

Posts 1953
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 3:56 PM

This has been hashed out before.  You are not the first to be bothered by this.  It has been suggested that in the future, Bob could think about including the manual for all by just increasing the price $1 or $5 or something like that.  While it is cheaper than the price offered now, it he did this, I suspect that the 3rd party official seller would receive a greater amount of profit as more people would have his product.  But so far, such an idea or variation of it has not produced any comments.  There may be licensing issues or some other issues unknown to all of us.  At any case, in the vacuum, others have produced manuals, videos etc for free or much cheaper which many avail themselves of.  If you are not sure where to find the links, just ask and someone will post those links here.

Posts 2703
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 3:59 PM

Bryan S.:

I'm simply saying I think it is rather sad ......... (who's really being the Grinch here)

"This just kinda rubs me raw...........Shame on you Bob and Faithlife!!!"

Okay if you were just venting,  I misunderstood.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 8968
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 4:00 PM

I think your assessment is harsh indeed. What is wrong if Logos' official trainer offers a product like this?

There are so many free tutorials available such as Logos 6 Features Tutorials - YouTube

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 183
Bryan S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 4:00 PM

Yes Venting,

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 4:02 PM

Hardly any software comes with a manual in this day and age, you need to get out more.

Posts 183
Bryan S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 4:02 PM

Mark:
At any case, in the vacuum, others have produced manuals, videos etc for free or much cheaper which many avail themselves of.  If you are not sure where to find the links, just ask and someone will post those links here.

If someone has a link to a User Manual pleas add it...

Posts 183
Bryan S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 4:08 PM

Mike Pettit:

Hardly any software comes with a manual in this day and age, you need to get out more.

]Not true I buy very expensive software all the time... The last program I bought was over a thousand dollars and came with 14 PDF manuals, one for each phase of the program and wasn't a 2 min video each manual is over a 100 pages... I get out plenty Oh and they were free.. 

That's what a manual is a book to teach you about every aspect of a program in depth not a scratch the surface 2 min video...

Posts 1953
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 4:10 PM

Bryan S.:
If someone has a link to a User Manual pleas add it...

Some links have already been posted which will begin to steer you in the right direction.  There are more links that I am sure others will eventually post here.  Here is one: https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_5_Video_Tutorials

Posts 3084
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 4:12 PM

If it's not too late, I think it would be a charitable act on the part of the original poster to change the thread name.

Posts 2097
LogosEmployee

Select Logos Bible Software Help from the "?" menu or type this into the command bar in the application to view the built in help file: show help

Also see here for free Logos 6 training videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXkjd_l1xkSQ5fM605M-F5xikKNGBdPvj

Also see here for additional free Logos 5 training videos, most of which still apply to Logos 6: https://www.logos.com/training/desktop

Also see here for an extensive wiki with lots of information: https://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 183
Bryan S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 4:15 PM

SineNomine:

If it's not too late, I think it would be a charitable act on the part of the original poster to change the thread name.

OK

Posts 3084
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 4:22 PM

Bryan S.:

SineNomine:

OK

Big Smile Thank you for your charity.

Posts 183
Bryan S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 4:22 PM

Listen, I want to have a user manual as a book in my library, not online and not a video. A book I can read offline that will teach me everything about the program I need to know... It should come with that don't you think

This program ought to have That and not some ? in the top right which give me mabe 3 lines on how to do something..

Posts 557
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 4:28 PM

I can remember years ago buying Libronix based software in a store and getting about a 200 page manual that came with it. The print was very small but at least it was a manual that explained how to do certain things with the software (various searches, etc..).  

Logos 7 should definitely include some kind of ebook manual that goes into depth with the software. The days of having to pay a third party big dollars to teach us how to use the software should come to an end. 

Right now I have spent a small fortune between L3 and L6 on various manuals, training seminars, and videos. Some of this training kept me from dumping the software because at the time I felt that it was too cumbersome to use and that I would never be able to use it to do deeper kinds of study.  

I am not against third parties making money to teach me how to do other things using the software but when it comes to just running the software (doing various types of searches; tagging books; etc..) it should not be necessary.

I say this with no hard feelings toward Bob or Faithlife. But I definitely believe that this is one area that they need to improve in. As I write this I am currently waiting (with joyful expectancy I might add) on a brand new set of Learn Logos videos from John Fallahee so I can get a better handle on 6.

Bryan, if you are looking for some quality videos check out learnlogos.com.         

Page 1 of 12 (229 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS