Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8
Korey Frazier | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 22 2014 3:46 PM

I recently noticed that occasionally the video playback will stop working. For videos which would be considered foreground they will show up as black slides and videos considered backgrounds will be frozen on one image.

In order to remedy the situation I tried closing the program and reopening but could not get the program to reopen without first going into the task manager processes and ending LogosCEF.exe *32 and Proclaim.exe *32.

I first assumed the problem was the integrated graphics card on our church's presentation laptop but, I have had the same issue on my personal desktop computer which has a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660.

Posts 3502
LogosEmployee
Scott Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 24 2014 8:16 AM

Sounds like there could be an issue with Windows Media Player (used for video playback on Windows) getting corrupted and keeping the Proclaim process alive. There are video driver issues on certain Windows systems related to hardware acceleration. One thing to try would be disabling hardware acceleration for Proclaim and see if the problem persists. Are the videos that fail during playback videos that you uploaded to your group? Can you reproduce the issue using videos that are included with Proclaim? 

Posts 8
Korey Frazier | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 24 2014 9:13 AM

the problem is with all videos across the board whether our own content or Proclaim's. I actually don't know how to replicate the problem specifically, when the problem has happened sometimes proclaim has been open and running great for a long period of time using multiple functions of the software and other times it happens right out of the gate, so it is hard for me to replicate when I can't seem to find a common function that causes it. I will try disabling the hardware acceleration and see if the issue persists. I will reply with any results.

Posts 8
Korey Frazier | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 11:26 AM

Hi Scott,

I tried disabling hardware acceleration, but was not able to tell if it helped or not. The result was that all video became extremely chunky and transitions were slow and unresponsive. So I turned it back on. The problem it created was worse than the problem I was trying to solve.

However, I was able to recreate the problem recently and it seems to me that the issue arises when trying to edit slides while the presentation is "on air." When I try to do this often times the window is too small so I make the show go off air, fix the slide, or text and then resume the show. After a couple of times of doing this the video backgrounds stop working and I have to close the program and end the processes as I stated above.

I hope this information is helpful in resolving the problem.

Posts 1232
Spencer McKimson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 5:13 PM

Hey Korey,

I would like you to try something and then report back with the results. Please leave hardware acceleration enabled, open the task manager, play videos (Or video backgrounds) and see if the memory usage of Proclaim creeps up. This will tell us more specifics about the problem and if it is a memory issue due to videos. If you want to speed up the process of reproducing this issue, place items with video backgrounds in the pre-service loop and set the items to auto-advance every 3 seconds.

Posts 8
Korey Frazier | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 1:44 PM

Hi Spencer,

I did a test as you described above and here is what the result was. When I opened Proclaim I let it sit idle for a minute or so and the base line memory usage was 150,000 K give or take a few thousand K. After that I began setting up a show of background videos in the pre-service loop with the auto-advance at 3 seconds, this made the memory usage jump up to 220,000 K. When I began the show, the memory jumped to 260,000 K and fluctuated between 255 and 275,000 K. I let the program run for about 5 minutes in this condition and the issue never started. However, it was jumpy during transitions. Since it wasn't producing the issue I began toggling back and forth between the edit and preview buttons and switching between on air and off air, as I had done to reproduce the issue before, this jumped the memory usage up to about 290,000 K. After a few times of toggling these buttons the background videos stopped moving, but the program was still progressing through the slides. The memory then began to "creep" up about 10,000 K ever couple of seconds or so, until I ended the process when the memory usage reached 700,000 K.

Also, I'm not sure if this would be helpful info or not, since I have had the issue on multiple computers, but the laptop we use in our Sanctuary for presentations is a Toshiba Satellite L755 with an AMD A6-3420M APU 1.50 GHz Processor with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics and 8 GB of RAM.

Posts 1232
Spencer McKimson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 3:11 PM

I tried to reproduce the issue and could not. Please make sure all of your drivers are up to date on your computer as this can help. I would check the AMD website for driver updates as they will have the most recent versions. If you update your drivers, make sure there are no other updates needed on your machine and you still run into this issue, please let us know.

Posts 8
Korey Frazier | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 7:02 PM

I updated all the AMD drivers on the computer back in November when I first noticed the issue. I checked again today and they are still up to date.There were some Microsoft updates which I went ahead and installed, then restarted the computer but the problem persisted.

I have narrowed it down a little though and it seems to be strictly related to going off then on air quickly or repeatedly. I was able to recreate the problem at home on my personal desk top in this same way. I also updated the driver for my home computer and installed all new updates from Windows and then I made a recording of me recreating the problem. Here is the video

Posts 8
Korey Frazier | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 7:03 PM

http://vimeo.com/koreyfraz/proclaimvideobackgroundfailure

Posts 1232
Spencer McKimson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 9:53 AM

Thank you for the video, I will keep on trying to reproduce the issue in house! In the mean time if you could reproduce this issue and then post the Proclaim.log file from your session, that would be great.

Posts 3502
LogosEmployee
Scott Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 25 2015 6:06 AM

Korey Frazier:

http://vimeo.com/koreyfraz/proclaimvideobackgroundfailure

Thanks for the video Korey, this is very helpful. If you could post your Proclaim.log file from a session which reproduces the video freeze that would be helpful. I suspect Windows Media Player is somehow being corrupted, possibly related to the player resizing while going off air when playing. I'm hoping that we'll see a WMP event error message in the log. 

Thanks for your patience while we work to resolve this issue. 

Posts 8
Korey Frazier | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 25 2015 8:33 AM

Hello again,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get this to you, life has been pretty busy lately. Anyway, here is the file you asked for.

81864.Proclaim.log

Posts 8
Korey Frazier | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 25 2015 8:41 AM

Here is another one from a different computer. In this case the problem began as soon as I went on air for the first time.

1682.Proclaim.log

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS