Whatever happened ?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 24 2014 8:28 PM

Whatever happened to Baby Jane the Samaritan Pentateuch?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 24 2014 10:51 PM

Merry Christmas George

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 25 2014 10:26 AM

I've pretty much given up on Samaritan Pentateuch; oddly enough, I run into more and more references to it.  I'm really starting to wonder about Jesus' familiarity with the Samaritans as well. There's just too many coincidences.

In my sewing room, I keep 4 OT-ish volumes that I check regularly:

Aramaic Bible (which I'd like in Logos, but hard copy is easier to use)

Tov's Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible

Tsedaka's Israelite Samaritan Version of the Torah (english, but okie dokie)

Retter's HaMafteach for the Talmud

I don't think Logos is going anywhere soon on non-greek.  They had trouble enough just with NA28.  They can LXX pretty good. Actually, for my own 'diggings',  I'd want more early latin, armanian, etc type versions.  But they're not greek either.  Hefty latin support in Logos might make them some money.

Posts 2249
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 25 2014 12:46 PM

There's certainly enough reference works to it, some on pre-pub. Not having it for parallel reference, the Eerdman English work at least, doesn't make sense.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 25 2014 12:57 PM

Denise:

I've pretty much given up on Samaritan Pentateuch; oddly enough, I run into more and more references to it.  I'm really starting to wonder about Jesus' familiarity with the Samaritans as well. There's just too many coincidences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47qUk8B1A3s 

It certainly would appear that Samaria was an early hotbed of Christianity.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 25 2014 1:06 PM

I have it in Accordance format, but I haven't heavily used it much since I'm still learning Hebrew. If Logos ever offered it, I'd probably pick it up. 

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 26 2014 5:52 AM

George Somsel:

I, don't know, but I am sure they could easy modify the Pentateuch of their lexham Hebrew Bible and create their own version of the Samaritan Pentateuch. That, should be much easier and quicker than for them to try license an existing text. 

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 26 2014 8:18 AM

BKMitchell:

George Somsel:

I, don't know, but I am sure they could easy modify the Pentateuch of their lexham Hebrew Bible and create their own version of the Samaritan Pentateuch. That, should be much easier and quicker than for them to try license an existing text. 

Why would they need to license an existing text?  Surely after all these years it is public domain.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 26 2014 5:52 PM

George Somsel:
Why would they need to license an existing text?  Surely after all these years it is public domain.

Are you talking about: von Gall, August's Der hebräische Pentateuch der Samaritaner (other editions?) or simply the Abisha Scroll manuscript of the Samaritan Pentateuch?

I am not sure what the hold up is with the Pentateuch, but I had assumed faithlife/Logos was attempting to license one, and that was or had been the the issue.

If, faithlife wasn't attempting that, then it is hard for me to imagine what the issue could be? If, they are simply re-typing/digitizing a Samaritan Pentateuch I am lost as to why it is taking so long?  

Anyway, I still think it would be faster and cheaper for them to adapt (or recompile) the Lexham Pentateuch to match the text of the Samaritan Pentateuch. They would not have to do that, but I think it would save them time and money.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 26 2014 7:44 PM

BKMitchell:

George Somsel:

Are you talking about: von Gall, August's Der hebräische Pentateuch der Samaritaner (other editions?) or simply the Abisha Scroll manuscript of the Samaritan Pentateuch?

I am not sure what the hold up is with the Pentateuch, but I had assumed faithlife/Logos was attempting to license one, and that was or had been the the issue.

If, faithlife wasn't attempting that, then it is hard for me to imagine what the issue could be? If, they are simply re-typing/digitizing a Samaritan Pentateuch I am lost as to why it is taking so long?  

Anyway, I still think it would be faster and cheaper for them to adapt (or recompile) the Lexham Pentateuch to match the text of the Samaritan Pentateuch. They would not have to do that, but I think it would save them time and money.

I'm more inclined to think that the problem lies in attempting to obtain a paleo-Hebrew font.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 26477
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 27 2014 1:33 PM

Like these? http://www.bibleplaces.com/paleo_hebrew_fonts.htm

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 27 2014 1:55 PM

MJ. Smith:

Yes, that does appear to be what is required.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 27 2014 2:00 PM

I think the Samaria Ostrica is more appropriate, given the ancientness of the manuscripts (I believe handed down to the Jerusalem priests at some point).

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 28 2014 9:13 PM

George Somsel:

I'm more inclined to think that the problem lies in attempting to obtain a paleo-Hebrew font.

Well, in that case I hope they either locate a set, or create their own set.  In the meanwhile I would not mind if the used the now standard square Hebrew fonts while we wait for the Paleo-Hebrew ones.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS