Personal Books - Do you know this wonderful piece of software?

Page 2 of 2 (40 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 39 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 24 2015 8:05 PM

Hermann Fritz:
I found a pdf-converter, which produces the best results, to make a pdf readable in Logos.It is Nuance PDF
 I bought a copy based on your recommendation. Looking forward to seeing how well it works with Hebrew and Greek. 

Posts 64
Hermann Fritz | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 25 2015 4:49 AM

Kevin, I also have the FineReader version 7. The program works fine with "normal" text, but it has problems in foreign languages. Nuance makes the job very easy and very fast. Just press "Convert", and everything runs automatically. Of course, from time to time a little needs to be refinished, but I have never seen a better OCR on my PC until now. I work with Dos - and Windowssoftware since 1988. Please let me know your opinion about nuance, once you have more experience with it.

Greetings from Cologne, Germany

Posts 64
Hermann Fritz | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 26 2015 1:13 PM

Ben, I did a little experimenting to get a good result with the converted Gesenius-PDF to Word. Although Nuance created a surprisingly good Docx file, the text was divided into many hundreds of text frames. Logos can not handle such a format. Therefore, one must first get rid of the text frame automatically. How this is done you can find described here: http://wordribbon.tips.net/T009169_Removing_All_Text_Boxes_In_a_Document.html

I've taken the mentioned macro and thus resolved the old format. It is here:

Sub RemoveTextBox2()
    Dim shp As Shape
    Dim oRngAnchor As Range
    Dim sString As String

For Each shp In ActiveDocument.Shapes
        If shp.Type = msoTextBox Then
            ' copy text to string, without last paragraph mark
            sString = Left(shp.TextFrame.TextRange.Text, _
              shp.TextFrame.TextRange.Characters.Count - 1)
            If Len(sString) > 0 Then
                ' set the range to insert the text
                Set oRngAnchor = shp.Anchor.Paragraphs(1).Range
                ' insert the textbox text before the range object
                oRngAnchor.InsertBefore _
                  "Textbox start << " & sString & " >> Textbox end"
            End If
            shp.delete
        End If
    Next shp
End Sub

Another issue is the fonts. In a blog that deals with Gesenius, was advised that it would be best to install the fonts "Taamey Frank CLM" and "FrankRuehl".

Once they are in the system, you should select the Gesenius file and assign the document sequentially both fonts. The main text is displayed with Taamey and Hebrew with FrankRuehl. The typeface looks quite good. The rest (the desired formatting, etc.) must be manually modified. - One more thing: Even logos makes some corrections when appropriate fonts are available. I've noticed that with Greek terms in Gesenius, as I had installed the book for test reasons.

Here an exaple page of Hebrew, after I assigned the fonts :

accentuation, is used for Segôltā (seven times altogether) when this would stand at the head of the sentence; cf. Gn 19:16, &c.

4 a ( ־֫ ) זָקֵף גָּדוֹלZâqēph ḡdôl, and

4 b ( ־֫ ) זָקֵף קָטוֹןZâqēph qātôn. The names refer to their musical character. As a disjunctive, Little Zâqēph is by nature stronger than Great Zâqēph; but if they stand together, the one which comes first is always the stronger.

( ־ ֫ ) טִפ חאָṬiphḥā or ט ַר חאָṬarḥā, a subordinate disjunctive before Sillûq and Athnâḥ, but very often the principal disjunctive of the whole verse instead of Athnâḥ; always so when the verse consists of only two or three words (e.g. Is 2:13), but also in longer verses (Gn 3:21).

( ־֫ ) ר בִיעַָRebhîa.

( ֫־ ) ז ַר קאָZarqā, postpositive.

8 a (Ù) פַּשׁ טאָPaŝtā, postpositive, 1 and

8 b ( ֫ ־) י תִיבYethîbh, prepositive, and thus different from Mehuppākh. Yethîbh is used in place of Paštā when the latter would stand on a monosyllable

or on a foretoned word, not preceded by a conjunctive accent.

9. (AD) תּ בִירTebhîr.

10 a ( ֫ ־) גּ ֶרֶשׁGèreš or ט ֶרֶסṬères, and

10 b ( ֫ ־) גּ רָ שַׁ ֫ ִיםGeršáyim2 or Double Gèreš, used for Gèreš, when the tone rests on the ultima, and Azlā does not precede.

11 a ( ־֫ ) פָּז רPâzēr, and

11 b ( ־ ֫) פָּז רֵ גָּדוֹלPâzēr gādôl (Great Pâzēr) or ק ַר נֵי פ ָרָהQarnê phārā (cow-horns), only used 16 times, for special emphasis.

start << contradictory (as God and evil-doer); between words which are liable to be wrongly connected; and lastly, between heterogeneous terms, as ‘Eleazar the High Priest, and Joshua’. But the assumption Of a far-reaching critical importance in Paseq is at least doubtful.—Cf. also the important article by H. Fuchs, ‘Pesiq ein Glossenzeichen, ’ in the Vierteljahrsschrift f. Bibelkunde, Aug. 1908, p. 1 ff. and p. 97 ff.

1 1 If the word in question has the tone on the penultima, Paštā is placed over it also, e.g ת הוּGn 1:2; cf. below, l

2 2. Wickes requires Geršáyim (גּ ֵר שַׁיִם). >>  end12. ( ֫ ־) תּ לִישָׁא ג דוֹלָהTelı ā gedôlā or Great Telı s ā, prepositive.

Greetings, Hermann

Posts 165
Ben Misja | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 29 2015 7:20 PM

I bought Omnipage, Nuance's full-fledged OCR program, as I figured it would be capable of all the basic file conversions that I needed, but might give me more OCR options than Power PDF might.

Now my problem is that Omnipage doesn't seem to work with Hebrew text at all. It doesn't recognize it, Hebrew isn't a language option either. Yet I found an official feature list online where "Asian" language recognition in Omnipage was described as "supreme". I also have a hard time believing that Power PDF would have OCR features Omnipage has not.

So maybe I'm doing it wrong. Friedrich, did you have to do anything to get the Hebrew text processed?

Thanks!

Posts 64
Hermann Fritz | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 31 2015 7:23 AM

Ben, you're right. Nuance and Omnipage can edit only some Asian languages directly. But I'm pretty sure that your Omnipage package could do anything like nuance and surely more. All the examples I've described above, come directly from the conversion and editing of PDF files in docx files. I do think that the result of my conversion of Gesenius-Kautzsch scored usable results in Word. Both, Nuance and Omnipage, use the fonts that you have installed. If the PDF has a Hebrew font as a basis that is installed on your system, the docx file will also address the underlying font.

Have you already studied my examples above and tried in a separate file? I hope this can help you.

Greetings and God bless you,

Hermann

Posts 64
Hermann Fritz | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 31 2015 7:59 AM
Just a little correction on my part to avoid confusion: Nuance is the software company that sells both programs. 
The company produces both products, Omnipage and Power PDF Standard. Smile
Posts 165
Ben Misja | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 31 2015 9:40 AM

Oh, now I see! I think you worked with a PDF that already contained proper Hebrew text, not just a scanned image. Is that right?

I am trying to use Omnipage to OCR the text out of a scanned image.

Posts 64
Hermann Fritz | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 31 2015 12:19 PM

I guess you 're right . I found the file at "davidcox.com". It comes
from a "bible centre".
You can also find it at "pdfdrive.net". It is free on the net and can easily be processed further. However, I was surprised and I am glad
that I get good results even with files that were full of errors without Power PDF.

By the way: I already have the Logos-Grammar of Gesenius-Kautzsch in my Logos-Library. But it´s very interesting to work with the mentioned Gesenius-PDF. By experimenting with it I have experienced the power of Power-Pdf by direct application.

Posts 776
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 6 2015 1:33 PM

FWIW: I just purchased Nuance Omnipage 18 Standard (PC download) at Amazon for 38.69 USD (reg $149.99).  They also have Nuance Power PDF Standard (PC download) for 39.99 USD (reg $99.99).  I do not know why the prices are so low, but if you are considering the purchase of either package, these prices are the best I have seen.

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 3004
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 16 2015 12:22 PM

Is there no longer a trial version?

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 3004
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 16 2015 12:23 PM

Is there no longer a trial of the Nuance software?

How to upload logs

Posts 64
Hermann Fritz | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2015 5:20 AM

Hello David,

sorry for the late reply. At the weekend, we had 10 US-American Pastors and Missionaries from Los Angeles as Guests in our Church. Therefore, I had no time to check my Emailaccount. They brought a Haiti-Expo to Cologne and promoted their projekt (an orphanage in Haiti). It was very very inspiring.

O.k., now to your Question. Here is the Link to the trialversion of Nuance Power PDF.

http://www.nuance.com/for-business/imaging-solutions/document-conversion/power-pdf-converter/free-trial/index.htm

Greetings from Cologne, Germany!

Hermann 

Posts 3004
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2015 4:51 PM

Thank you so much Hermann! I'll check this out tonight!

How to upload logs

Posts 3004
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 7:42 AM

Software works beautifully!

How to upload logs

Posts 1147
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 1:37 PM

I would love it if there was a mac version of good ocr software! Have any of you heard of one that is as good as these?

Posts 64
Hermann Fritz | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 4:01 PM

David, enjoy it. I am glad I could help. Smile

Liam, here is a site with good information about ocr-producers. Omnipage/Nuance runs on a Mac.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_optical_character_recognition_software

But I have the  impression that Mac Users are more happy with ABBYY Finereader. I worked with different versions (4 to 9) during a 10 Years period and the software made its job very well. You can buy it at Amazon for 85,99 $.

http://www.amazon.com/ABBYY-FineReader-Pro-Mac-Download/dp/B00OL280LE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432335044&sr=8-1&keywords=ocr+mac

Greetings and good night from Cologne,

Hermann

Oh, I notice you have already written about ABBYY in an earlier Post. Then I think, you should give Omnipage/Nuance a try ... 

Posts 3004
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 26 2015 1:13 PM

I wish it put headers as headers so i could easily remove them. Alas, I guess I am asking too much.

How to upload logs

Posts 64
Hermann Fritz | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 28 2015 2:10 AM

Hello David,

there are different solutions for this problem. You can take a simple freeware like "PDFill Free". It has a "crop"-Function, where you can select "All pages". Then it cuts the span, which you have selected. Here ist the Link:

https://www.pdfill.com/pdf_tools_free.html

The more comfortable way ist Infix pdf pro. I have the standard version, which can not handle headers and footers. The company offers the possibilty to get the program for free. You only have to advertise for the software on your own website, if you have one. 

Here is the Link of Infix with a short description, how it can cope with headers:

http://www.iceni.com/blog/deleting-headers-and-footers-from-a-pdf/

I hope it will help. Greetings from Cologne, Germany, on a cloudy day Lightning

Hermann 

Posts 2824
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 28 2015 9:18 PM

I really need to learn how to run macros.  It is all Greek to me, or at least I wish it was.  I can read Greek, but I can't make heads or tails of macro's.  Maybe I need a Word for dummies book?  Or something for dummies.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 64
Hermann Fritz | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 29 2015 2:10 AM

Hello Michael,

basically, I think I need not to know everything, but it´s good to know where to find it. The Internet is a treasure trove, and a lot of it is free or very cheap. Experienced programmers sometimes offer their lessons to test this yourself. So I found the macro, which can remove text frames in an entire document. Sometimes you have to change the Macro slightly, but most of the work is already done.

I looked a little bit around and found three helpful offers, how to work with macros in word. The first offer intends to take your fear and is only a basic training, the first steps. If you are interested, look here:

http://wordprocessing.about.com/od/workingwithmacro1/l/blmacrointro.htm

This course is free of charge.

Udemy has a more professional offer. This looks promising. Look here:

https://www.udemy.com/gcs-microsoft-word-vba-macro-programming-introduction/?dtcode=Skm3igm306ce

Then there's a company that offers a free comprehensive training course for word with a specific section about Macros. Usually they charge fees.  It also looks very professional. You can find it here:

http://www.teachucomp.com/free/

So, now I have to do some other work.  I hope it will help you further. Have a nice day, and God bless you!

Hermann from Cologne 

Page 2 of 2 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS