Help, running into some new limitations with Logos 6!!!

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 6
Dave Crosby | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 20 2015 6:00 PM

I need work arounds or help with the following:

1) This version of Logos doesn't allow you to rearrange your prayer lists, Lectionary etc. For me this is a high value feature (and anyone who's religious tradition that requires various prayers according to the time of day or day of the week), that seems to be lost in this version. If there is a way to do this please let me know how to do it.

2) This version doesn't seem to have a way to import xml or word (vocabulary) lists. If there is a way please let me know.

I do like the way version 6 handles. It has a lot of new tools that will be time savers and allow you to delve deeper, and perform more meaningful research into the Word of G-d. Overall I really love the software, even though it doesn't seem to have all the features that Version 5 had. (I was told we wouldn’t loose features from version 5) I'm not a programmer so perhaps some features needed to be cut out to get the performance. But, if there is way to to do these tasks please let me know.

Posts 26140
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 6:07 PM

Assuming you are on Windows, the sidebar order is controlled by drag and drop in the customization menu:

I don't use the vocabulary lists so someone else needs to answer that.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 6
Dave Crosby | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 10:48 PM

Thanks, I'll give that a try. 

Posts 18644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 11:38 PM

Dave Crosby:

2) This version doesn't seem to have a way to import xml or word (vocabulary) lists. If there is a way please let me know.

I do like the way version 6 handles. It has a lot of new tools that will be time savers and allow you to delve deeper, and perform more meaningful research into the Word of G-d. Overall I really love the software, even though it doesn't seem to have all the features that Version 5 had. (I was told we wouldn’t loose features from version 5) I'm not a programmer so perhaps some features needed to be cut out to get the performance. But, if there is way to to do these tasks please let me know.

No features were cut out from Logos 5 to Logos 6 as far as I know, though some features have been moved around or renamed on menus. How did you used to import vocabulary lists in Logos 5? We can help you figure out how to do that in Logos 6 too.

In Logos 6, vocabulary lists are called "Word Lists" and you'll find them on the Documents menu. There is no wiki page documenting Word Lists which is unfortunate. The wiki is a wonderful documentation resource written mostly by volunteer users, but there are occasionally gaps in it. But you will find some barebones documentation in the Logos Help file, under Word List Document.

Word List Document
Create a Word List document to save, import, and organize words from references, resources, search results, and passage lists.
1. Click on Documents | New | Word List.
2. Click in the “Untitled Word List” text box to type a unique title.
3. Click on the Add drop-down and choose to Add lemmas from:
• Reference – enter a passage manually
• ... selected text – adds words within selected resource text
• ... another word list – brings up a list of saved word lists from which to add to the current list
• ... clipboard – pastes words that are scanned from text copied to the clipboard
• ... highlighter style – brings up a list of applied highlighter styles to add words from highlighted text
Word List Options
• Click into the Add Lemma box at the end of the existing list to quickly add a new word.
• Click on the Merge drop-down on the toolbar to choose an existing Word List to merge with, then choose the way to merge them. A new list will be created without modifying the original lists.
• Click on Grid to display the entries in a table layout.
• Click on Cards to display the entries as printable flashcards.
The Grid view can be manipulated in various ways to analyze the data.
• To choose the columns to be displayed, right-click on any of the column headings, and select/deselect a heading.
• To change the order of the columns, drag a column heading and drop it in another location.
• To sort by a particular column, click the column heading. An ‘up’ triangle will appear to indicate that the data is being sorted in ‘ascending’ order by that column. (The column width may need to be expanded to see the ‘sort by’ triangle.) Click a second time to sort in ‘descending’ order (‘down’ triangle).
• To sort by multiple columns, click the first column to sort, then hold down SHIFT and click additional columns to add secondary sorting.
• To group by a column, drag it to the “Drag a column header here to group by that column” area. For instance, if you drag the Lemma column to that area, the results will be grouped by Lemma.
• To group by multiple columns, drag columns in succession to the “Drag a column header here to group by that column” area. Columns in this area can be reordered using drag and drop.
• To remove a column from grouping, click on its column header and drag it out of the above area.
• To expand or collapse a section, click on its section bar. Right-click on the bar to see additional options, including “Summary view” which displays the grouping hierarchy and hides the results.
Delete a Word List document:
1. Click on the Documents menu.
2. Right-click on the document to be deleted and choose Delete.
For information on importing Word Lists (Vocabulary Lists or Word Lists) from Libronix DLS 3, see Importing Libronix DLS Documents.

And there is an illustration of how to use Word Lists here on the Logos blog:

https://blog.logos.com/2014/10/master-the-15-document-types-part-2/ 

I imagine to import a word list from Word, you could select the text in Word and copy to the clipboard, then use the "Add words from clipboard" option in a new Word List in Logos.

Posts 27450
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 4:42 AM

MJ. Smith:

Assuming you are on Windows, the sidebar order is controlled by drag and drop in the customization menu:

i am not near my computer at the moment, but isn't that just controlling the order of elements, rather than the order of content within the elements? In other words, you can move ALL reading plans above or below a lectionary, but good luck moving one reading plan above another! 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 957
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 9:26 AM

alabama24:

... you can move ALL reading plans above or below a lectionary, but good luck moving one reading plan above another! 

Since the reading plans are displayed in alphabetical order, I normally rename them to get them in the order I want.

Posts 27450
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 10:20 AM

Yasmin Stephen:
Since the reading plans are displayed in alphabetical order, I normally rename them to get them in the order I want.

Thanks for the suggestion. Smile

I will keep complaining instead. Stick out tongue

I hate the lack of good organization in the app, so I force my own organization. I create a note file named for every book in which I make notes or highlights... and reading plans get the formula RP:Book Name. The only exception to the naming schema is when the reading plan in a Bible Reading plan, and then it gets the schema of RP:Translation Plan (Year) (i.e. RP:NIV M’Cheyne (2015)). 

I also temporarily add a numerical value as a prefix to the book note files (i.e. 12 – The Purpose Driven Life) so that the note files for books I am reading through (cover to cover) are more easily accessible in the mobile app.

Posts 791
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 11:06 AM

alabama24:
In other words, you can move ALL reading plans above or below a lectionary, but good luck moving one reading plan above another!

We're working on a fix for this right now. A (near) future version will let you rearrange reading plans and prayer lists individually rather than as one block. 

Posts 26140
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 1:01 PM

alabama24:

MJ. Smith:

i am not near my computer at the moment, but isn't that just controlling the order of elements, rather than the order of content within the elements? In other words, you can move ALL reading plans above or below a lectionary, but good luck moving one reading plan above another! 

I haven't played with multiple reading plans; I assumed that they worked like lectionaries. Sorry.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9913
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 4:11 PM

Dave Crosby:

Hi Dave, welcome to the forums!

As others, I want to reiterate that Logos lost no features in L6 that were in prior versions since L4. Rosie explained a lot how to use the Word List features in L6 - regarding the not so well-documented import feature, I just checked that Fr Devin Roza's instructions from L4.6 still apply to the latest comma:

1. Download the word lists you are interested in from http://www.logos.com/training/vocabularylists
  2. Go to your "Documents" or "My Documents" folder in Windows. Create a subfolder called "Libronix DLS". Notice the space. Then, inside the folder "Libronix DLS", create a subfolder called "VocabularyLists". Notice there is no space.
  3. Copy the word lists files you downloaded into the "VocabularyLists" folder.
  4. Type the command "Import Word Lists" into the Logos 4.6 command line and hit Enter. Logos will import the vocabulary lists.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 26140
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 4:16 PM

NB does the command do the necessary conversion? I had some problems with L3 word list but I don't remember what the problem was.

Posts 9913
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 4:34 PM

MJ. Smith:

NB does the command do the necessary conversion? I had some problems with L3 word list but I don't remember what the problem was.

The command does conversion, if you mean from the xml-file format into the SQLite database that drives L6. It simply works, when the path is correct and the file in the right format.

Plain text in XML coding:

I don't remember exactly, but I think there was an issue back in 4.6 days with Mac computers that automatically added an .xml ending to the filename, which confuses Logos that expects the Libronix .lbxvl ending.

Posts 27450
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 4:35 PM

Eli Evans:

alabama24:
In other words, you can move ALL reading plans above or below a lectionary, but good luck moving one reading plan above another!

We're working on a fix for this right now. A (near) future version will let you rearrange reading plans and prayer lists individually rather than as one block. 

Thanks! 

Posts 7953
LogosEmployee

NB.Mick:
Download the word lists you are interested in from http://www.logos.com/training/vocabularylists

Don't do this.

Instead, join the Faithlife Group that has the latest versions of these documents: https://faithlife.com/introductory-grammar-vocabulary-lists/activity 

(That page is just for Libronix DLS 3.)

Posts 6
Dave Crosby | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 27 2015 12:14 AM

Thank You so much Rosie! I followed your word list instructions, reworked my vocabulary list in Word,,, more like coma separated data and finally got it to work. Thank you so much!!!

G-d Bless!

Dave 

Posts 6
Dave Crosby | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 27 2015 12:30 AM

Thank You Yasmin your suggestion was spot on I just added a letter in the alphabetical order I wanted. closed logos and restarted the program and there they were in perfected order. Just exactly what the Doctor order for this overly compulsive fellow!    

Thanks Again Dave

Posts 6
Dave Crosby | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 27 2015 12:41 AM

Thanks NB between you and Rosie I finally got my Hebrew vocabulary working .

Thanks again Dave 

Posts 9913
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 27 2015 2:16 AM

Dave Crosby:

Thanks NB between you and Rosie I finally got my Hebrew vocabulary working .

Thanks again Dave 

Glad to hear that!

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 23 2015 7:14 PM

NB.Mick:

Go to your "Documents" or "My Documents" folder in Windows. Create a subfolder called "Libronix DLS". Notice the space. Then, inside the folder "Libronix DLS", create a subfolder called "VocabularyLists". Notice there is no space.

Is there no way to do this on a mac? I'm finding the add word list from clipboard feature to be pretty much useless on a mac. It's chaotic every time I try it, even if I export to clipboard first and then try to re-import from clipboard.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 23 2015 7:37 PM

Timothy Taylor:

NB.Mick:

Go to your "Documents" or "My Documents" folder in Windows. Create a subfolder called "Libronix DLS". Notice the space. Then, inside the folder "Libronix DLS", create a subfolder called "VocabularyLists". Notice there is no space.

Is there no way to do this on a mac?

Logos 4 Thread => How do I import word lists has OS X 10.6.8 examples.

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Instead, join the Faithlife Group that has the latest versions of these documents: https://faithlife.com/introductory-grammar-vocabulary-lists/activity 

Joining Faithlife group can be done on OS X for easy copying of Word List documents.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS