Adding Highlighting to the right Note

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 21 2015 7:49 PM

Maybe it is just me, but it seems that highlighting is getting harder on both the iPad and the Desktop versions of Logos. All I want to do is to highlight in commentaries, and have them added to the same Note file, easily. For example, when I am working in Logos for a sermon series on Luke, I want the highlights in a half-dozen commentaries on Luke to show up in "Luke Notes" (that I created). Lately, that seems very difficult. I get "solid colors" or another Note created before "Proverbs Notes" but it is very hard to simply highlight text, apply a color to it (e.g. yellow highlighter pen) and get it to go to right Note. I can't even find a setting to send a specific highlight to a specific Note.

This should not be that hard. Is there any way to de-couple Highlights from Notes?

Fred Greco
Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA, Katy, TX
Windows 10 64-bit; Logos 7.1 SR-2 (Reformed Platinum)

Posts 29267
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 21 2015 7:55 PM

Fred Greco:
Maybe it is just me, but it seems that highlighting is getting harder on both the iPad and the Desktop versions of Logos.

Nothing has changed since L4.5

Fred Greco:
Is there any way to de-couple Highlights from Notes?

I am not sure what you are asking. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 21 2015 7:58 PM

Is it possible to add highlighting to a text WITHOUT creating/editing/using a Note?

Fred Greco

Posts 31946
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 21 2015 8:02 PM

Fred Greco:

Is it possible to add highlighting to a text WITHOUT creating/editing/using a Note?

No - the note is what carries the information regarding the placement and style of the highlighting.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 21 2015 8:03 PM

The system may not have changed, but the behavior at least for me is. In the Desktop version, it keeps changing which note is associated with highlights. Because there is no way to manually assign a highlighting to a note, I have to create a highlight, see that it is assigned wrong, delete the highlight, open the note file from documents, make a new highlight, and hope that it works right. Just in the last hour it has not worked properly a dozen times. It is beyond frustrating.

Is it at all possible to set ahead of time which note will be used? I can do that (with more success) in the iOS version, but I see no way to do it in the Desktop version.

Fred Greco

Posts 29267
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 21 2015 8:24 PM

Fred Greco:
The system may not have changed, but the behavior at least for me is. In the Desktop version, it keeps changing which note is associated with highlights.

The default behavior is for highlight notes to go into a note document named for the pallet in which the highlighting style is found (i.e. a "solid color" highlighter will go into a note document named "solid color"). If that isnt the behavior you are experiencing, it is likely because you changed it at some point. 

The second behavior choice is to direct notes into a file of your own choosing... but this is actually identical to option one because the choice of file is determined at the pallet level. In other words, the difference between option 1 and option 2 is that first choice sends all notes to SOLID COLOR note document while option two sends all notes to FILE NAME OF YOUR CHOICE. The behavior is identical. All notes created with "solid color" highlighters goes into a single note document.

The third choice is the best (in my opinion), but requires diligence on the part of the user. This option is called "save in most recent note file" (or what I call "sticky"). Here is how option 3 works: You are reading in a resource and you want to place a highlight note into a particular note document. I prefer "resource specific" note documents (ones named after the resource I am reading in), so I open up the note document THE PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE. As long as I don't open or interact with any other note documents, every highlight I make will go into that note document. 

Fred Greco:
Is it at all possible to set ahead of time which note will be used? I can do that (with more success) in the iOS version, but I see no way to do it in the Desktop version.

As I explained above, the way the behavior is changed is at the pallet level. Hover over the right hand side of the pallet name to reveal a menu.

EDIT: The method for changing behavior on mobile is different than on the desktop. On mobile, there is a master switch to change behavior, whereas on desktop it is pallet by pallet.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 21 2015 8:42 PM

Fred Greco:

As Alabama says it is different for the Desktop verses the mobile devices. Below is how you do it on a Desktop computer

Hover over a Palette name that you want to assign to a Note file and click the blue circle on the right.
Then in the drop-down menu click on the bottom right as shown below

After doing the above another pop-up menu will appear (as shown below). This lists all your Note files. Select the Note file that you want used as the default destination for highlighting when using the Palette that you have chosen above.

Edit:  you might notice that i have a lot of Note files with HL in their filename. HL is my abbreviation for HighLight. i use those Note files exclusively for highlighting. i follow Alabama's advice and use a new Note file for each book (loads faster on my mobile devices).

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS