NIV Application Commentaries

Page 3 of 6 (107 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 106 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 406
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 26 2015 6:39 PM

Michael:

Based on Best Commentaries I have Exodus, Ezekiel, Ecclesiastes, and 2 Peter/Jude in my cart.  Any other volumes highly recommended?  I'm having a tough time finding reviews that go through each book.

I have NICOT/NICNT, NAC, Pillars, NIGTC, and the Tyndale set if that matters.  Some of the BECNT and WBC volumes are also on my radar, but I'm not pulling the trigger until they go on sale.

One's opinion of course will be colored by their theological bent and intended purpose. Personally I think the NIVAC is one of the better Evangelical pastoral/devotional commentaries and wouldn't want to be without any of them.  I think I've stated this before, but I use them nearly daily for study/devotional purposes and often find value for academic work.

If I were only limited to a few, in addition to the one's you've noted, I would want Walton's Genesis, Gane's Numbers, Hubbard's Joshua, Wilson's Psalms, Jobes' Esther, Wilkins' Matthew, Block's Luke, Blomberg's 1 Corinthians, Hafemann's 2 Corinthians, and Garland's Colossians.

It's interesting that D.A. Carson states in his NT Commentary Survey that he generally doesn't care for the NIVAC (pg. 99), but he seems to recommend quite a few of them despite his general misgivings.

Tremper Longman has a very high opinion of the OT NIVAC vols. He gives the entire OT set 5-stars.

Posts 160
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 26 2015 6:44 PM

Erik:

If I were only limited to a few, in addition to the one's you've noted, I would want Walton's Genesis, Gane's Numbers, Hubbard's Joshua, Wilson's Psalms, Jobes' Esther, Wilkins' Matthew, Block's Luke, Blomberg's 1 Corinthians, Hafemann's 2 Corinthians, and Garland's Colossians.

It's interesting that D.A. Carson states in his NT Commentary Survey that he generally doesn't care for the NIVAC (pg. 99), but he seems to recommend quite a few of them despite his general misgivings.

Tremper Longman has a very high opinion of the OT NIVAC vols. He gives the entire OT set 5-stars.

Thanks!  That was very helpful.

Posts 162
Clifford B. Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 26 2015 6:46 PM

Michael:

Based on Best Commentaries I have Exodus, Ezekiel, Ecclesiastes, and 2 Peter/Jude in my cart.  Any other volumes highly recommended?  I'm having a tough time finding reviews that go through each book.

I have NICOT/NICNT, NAC, Pillars, NIGTC, and the Tyndale set if that matters.  Some of the BECNT and WBC volumes are also on my radar, but I'm not pulling the trigger until they go on sale.

Michael,

The only volume that I liked and refer to often is George Guthrie's "Hebrews." While the set as a whole does not appeal to me, Guthrie's volume is a rare treat.

Cliff

Posts 499
SteveHD | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 26 2015 6:54 PM

If you are interested Denver seminary has a list of books and commentaries. Most of the NIVAC appear in these.

Old Testament http://www.denverseminary.edu/article/annotated-old-testament-bibliography-2015/ search here brings back 23 results.

New Testament http://www.denverseminary.edu/article/new-testament-exegesis-bibliography-2015/ search for NIVAC brings back 17 results.

Posts 1557
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 26 2015 7:04 PM

I picked up a few. Thanks for the heads up!

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 2821
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 26 2015 7:15 PM

Personally, I love 1 and 2 Samuel by Bill T. Arnold in this series.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 26 2015 7:30 PM

Picked all 42 up today. I read the first couple of chapters of Ian Duguid's commentary on Ezekiel. I like it!

Posts 236
Michael March | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 26 2015 8:29 PM

Aw. It's hard to lay off these. I need to have a bigger cushion for surprise sales like this one... The pricing goes back and forth between 30+ and 7.99,but if you're patient and put them in and out of your cart, you will eventually get them all for 7.99.

Stick out tongue

Windows PC - Android Phone - Surface Pro 4

Posts 406
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 26 2015 9:20 PM

John Kight:

I picked up a few. Thanks for the heads up!

Hi John, I think you are the first person from one of my LUO classes that I've seen on the Logos forums.  Glad to hear you were able to obtain several of the NIVAC volumes. As you can see from my Discussion Board posts, the insights in the NIVAC often find there way into my replies. Smile  I pray that you will benefit greatly from them.

Erik (Vines)

Posts 1626
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 26 2015 9:47 PM

Picked up a dozen of these too.
Mostly OT, since that's what my library needed.

Posts 2869
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 26 2015 9:54 PM

Thank you!

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2015 4:09 AM

Does anyone know if the whole set will also go on discount so we don't have to buy each volume separately?

When I go to the product page for the whole bundle, it seems that the dynamic pricing is not taking effect, nor is this amazing discount. It would be nice to have the option to buy the whole bundle at the $7.99 price each and put it all on a payment plan.

https://www.logos.com/product/37365/niv-application-commentary-bundle

Posts 2869
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2015 4:15 AM

Tim Taylor:

Does anyone know if the whole set will also go on discount so we don't have to buy each volume separately?

When I go to the product page for the whole bundle, it seems that the dynamic pricing is not taking effect, nor is this amazing discount. It would be nice to have the option to buy the whole bundle at the $7.99 price each and put it all on a payment plan.

https://www.logos.com/product/37365/niv-application-commentary-bundle

I think it would be better to call Sales.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 1956
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2015 4:35 AM

I would say if finances allow, then get them all.  I have noticed in the recommendations that it doesn't seem that Keener's volume on Revelation has been brought up.  I highly recommend it.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 9910
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2015 5:05 AM

Tim Taylor:

It's just 42 (maximum) "add to cart" clicks and then the browser's back-button to go for the next one. I think, Logos offers a payment plan automatically based on the dollar value of the cart. Note that Zondervan bundles rarely if ever work with dynamic pricing.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 1557
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2015 5:13 AM

Erik:
I think you are the first person from one of my LUO classes that I've seen on the Logos forums.

Hi Erik! Small world, but BIG internet. I've been hanging around here for years now. I don't post much, but I visit daily (usually multiple times a day). As a side note, you will be happy to know that I took the plunge on the remaining volumes. I slept on it and decided that it was a deal too good to pass for two reason: (1) its Zondervan and will likely never happen again, and (2) while I have a number of commentaries in Logos I think NIVAC will fill a much needed gap (especially OT) that will be useful for several years to come.

Good seeing you Erik. Keep in touch! 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 230
Joel Madasu | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2015 5:47 AM

Hmmm.... a few hours back (around 2 AM, EST) I have noticed that most of these commentaries are around $7 something, but now the price increased 19.99 and 21.99 etc...! Are these on sale for a day or something? 

Posts 499
SteveHD | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2015 5:53 AM

If you are wanting to buy them just try placing it in your cart whether it shows the lower price at the time or not. For me they ended up changing and being on sale once they were in my cart and as I refreshed the page.

Posts 155
Alan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2015 6:51 AM

SHotchkiss:

If you are wanting to buy them just try placing it in your cart whether it shows the lower price at the time or not. For me they ended up changing and being on sale once they were in my cart and as I refreshed the page.

And I thought I have missed the boat ... showing the "undiscounted" prices.  Moving back and forth the pages (likened to refreshing the page), they went back to $7.99

I picked up 14 volumes.

Posts 4750
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2015 6:52 AM

Logos seems to have an on-going problem with their sale prices not registering properly in various contexts on the website. They are aware of it in a general sense, but I'm not sure if they are cognizant of the issues folks are having with this particular sale.

Page 3 of 6 (107 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS