Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 21 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2015 10:35 PM

Bill Stevener:
The library list understood which resources had been downloaded but that obviously was incorrect.

The list of downloaded resources is stored in a database that is part of the app and this was likely carried over when you restored the app to the new device.  So, the app simply read the database and thought the resources were there (but they weren't).

Bill Stevener:
It would have been helpful that when the portions of the app looking for the download that wasn't really there would have recognized that and prompted me to download.

Yes, this is what *should* have happened and I will enter a case for this issue - not a good experience to have.

Bill Stevener:
I guess another thing this points out is that downloaded resources are not used when connected to wifi because all worked well when I had wifi, even though the resources weren't really available locally. Strange.

Well, this is not really the case although I understand your line of thought.  I'll try to explain this to the best of my knowledge.

Whether offline or online, the app first looks for any downloaded resources that may be available.  If it can't find them locally it will try again to find them online, and this is why those "downloaded" resources (that actually weren't downloaded on your device after the iTunes restore, but the app thought they were because of the db issue) can still be found when you are online - the app tried again to find them online and succeeded. 

When online, the app first checks to see if there are any resources it can find online (because they will be more up-to-date) and should again prompt you to download any newer versions that are available, but should then simply use the downloaded resources you already have.

The idea is to never fail to find a resource, if possible, but this is definitely a bug.  In any case I will try to nail down the reproduction steps for this next week.  Thanks for your patience!

Posts 132
Bill Stevener | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2015 5:32 AM

Thanks, Kevin... your reply makes sense. I suspect that when the local resource wasn't found, its "version" wasn't available so when the online resource was found and aversion comparison was made, between online and local, the local not having a version, didn't signal a "lower" version needing replacement.

Updating the resources one-by-one certainly works to update the individual out-of-date resources, but an option to "Redownload all downloaded resources" would have been helpful.

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS