The Logos Now Membership Program is here!

Page 3 of 6 (111 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 110 Replies | 15 Followers

Posts 1483
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2016 10:01 AM

From what I've read so far, it's my impression that a person interested in a possible L7 library upgrade, could wait until the new library options are available for review, and if a library of interest is found, join Logos Now at that point and still get the additional 5% library discount.  Is that correct?

Edited:  OK.  I just read a post about Logos Now that was made by Phil Gons on March 18th at 6:00PM, and it leaves me a little confused in regard to the expected size/amount of the L7 library discounts for Logos Now members.  Granted, Phil says he's using "made up" numbers, but they are so much greater than a 5% discount, that I wanted to verify we should not be expecting/hoping for anything more than a 5% discount on the L7 libraries as a benefit of being a Logos Now member.  The text in italics below is the specific part of Phil's post that got my attention.

Putting some (made up) numbers to it, as a Logos 6 Gold owner you'd pay $500 to upgrade to the full Logos 7 Gold base package and own all of the new books as well as the features, datasets, interactives, etc.

A Logos 6 Gold owner who has a Logos Now subscription you'd pay only $250 to buy full ownership of the Logos 7 Gold library. You won't need to buy the Logos 7 Core, since you already have access to all of that (and more) with your Logos Now subscription. (If you later decide that Logos Now isn't for you, you'd be able to purchase the Logos 7 Core or another full Logos 7 base package to regain access to the Logos 7 features.)

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2016 10:06 PM

I am very interested by the new Logos Now, but it seems to me silly to rush when I don't know what the alternative will be really be, namely, the Logos 7 packages. We can assume that they will be analogous to the Logos 6 packages, but we cannot know what will be included and whether something new to the package configuration will be introduced. I will wait. Hopefully, L7 does come out this Fall as we all expect/hope.

Posts 8688
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2016 10:22 PM

Rick Ausdahl:
Granted, Phil says he's using "made up" numbers, but they are so much greater than a 5% discount, that I wanted to verify we should not be expecting/hoping for anything more than a 5% discount on the L7 libraries as a benefit of being a Logos Now member. 

Phil's made up numbers are $500 for library AND features ("Logos 7 Gold base package") vs $250 for library only ("Logos 7 Gold library"). (You don't need to buy ownership of the Logos 7 features if you are a Logos Now member because it includes all the Logos 7 features.) It's not a 50% discount; it's buying a cheaper option.

Read Mark's post on that thread for a for detailed explanation: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/124231/811190.aspx#811190 

Posts 1965
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2016 10:43 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Rick Ausdahl:
Granted, Phil says he's using "made up" numbers, but they are so much greater than a 5% discount, that I wanted to verify we should not be expecting/hoping for anything more than a 5% discount on the L7 libraries as a benefit of being a Logos Now member. 

Phil's made up numbers are $500 for library AND features ("Logos 7 Gold base package") vs $250 for library only ("Logos 7 Gold library"). (You don't need to buy ownership of the Logos 7 features if you are a Logos Now member because it includes all the Logos 7 features.) It's not a 50% discount; it's buying a cheaper option.

Read Mark's post on that thread for a for detailed explanation: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/124231/811190.aspx#811190 

There are several different levels of price adjustments and discounts going on for Logos Now members:

1. Combo discount. First, our new model of libraries and feature sets as separate products means you're saving when you buy a library and a feature set together—or have a Logos Now membership, which grants you a perpetual combo discount on libraries and feature sets, even when purchased separately. Libraries are discounted by 10% and feature sets by 25% from their standalone prices.
  2. Dynamic pricing. We'll adjust your price to ensure you're paying only for new content.
  3. Library-only pricing. You save as a Logos Now member by not being required to purchase ownership of the feature set. You're certainly welcome to—and when you do, you'll enjoy a combo discount, dynamic pricing, an introductory discount, and a members-only introductory discount. But you won't need to, since full access to all Logos features is included as a membership benefit. That's money you can pocket or apply toward a bigger library.
  4. Introductory discount. You'll save 10% during the launch on your library or feature set or combination of the two.
  5. Member-only introductory discount. You'll save an additional 5% during the launch on your library or feature set or combination of the two.

What I was referring to in the post from March that you cited was #3: the ability to buy just a library without being forced to buy a perpetual license to the feature set. The more recent announcement is referring to #5: the extra promotion discount exclusive to Now members.

Posts 1965
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2016 11:03 PM

Francis:

This sounds all very good but I just want to make sure I understand it right: essentially, the only things I would NOT be getting by acquiring Now as opposed to Logos 7 is (a) permanent ownership and (b) titles included in Logos 7 libraries. Is that correct?

Correct.

Posts 1965
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2016 11:06 PM

Rick Ausdahl:
From what I've read so far, it's my impression that a person interested in a possible L7 library upgrade, could wait until the new library options are available for review, and if a library of interest is found, join Logos Now at that point and still get the additional 5% library discount.  Is that correct?

Correct.

Posts 1965
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2016 11:15 PM

mike:
LN will have no new features for at least the next 3-4 months after the release of L7. And if they do have new features, that means, Logos is playing the evil-apple trick; not releasing full complete L7 capabilities but instead charging those other features that suppose to be released on L7 on day 1 to be on LN instead.

Not quite true. There are a few features and supporting content, due to their ongoing web service costs (and a few other reasons), that we've decided to limit to Logos Now members and Logos Cloud subscribers in order to more directly fund those ongoing costs. So there will be a discrepancy from day one.

mike:
I feel like LN has very little to offer to those who will buy complete L7 base package (Gold & above).

Here's what's in it for someone who wants to buy a complete Logos 7 base package (library + feature set):

1. Exclusive access to subscription-only features and supporting content
  2. Early access to Logos 8 features and supporting content
  3. An extra 5% savings (on top of the 10% introductory savings) on their library and feature set
  4. A combo discount (10%) on future library purchases

More on these price adjustments and discounts here.

We've tried to design Logos Now to be a beneficial program for all types of customers:

1. Those who want new features
  2. Those who want new books
  3. Those who want new books and new features
  4. Those who prefer ownership
  5. Those who prefer subscription
  6. Those who like a combination of ownership and subscription

No matter which buckets you fall into, there are benefits to being a Logos Now member. It's not an alternative to full base package ownership. It's actually quite a nice supplement and support to it in many cases.

Posts 1965
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2016 11:17 PM

Francis:

I don't know what the alternative will be really be, namely, the Logos 7 packages.

For many people Logos Now (or Logos Now + a Logos 7 library) may be an alternative to buying a full Logos 7 base package (library + feature set). But it doesn't have to be. There are in many scenarios pretty compelling reasons why even those committed to full ownership of a Logos 7 base package (library + feature set) would want to seriously consider buying a Logos Now membership before or with their Logos 7 base package purchase. Depending on the size of the purchase, the 5% additional savings may by itself be larger than the cost of membership.

Other reasons here.

Posts 3945
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 3:51 AM

Louis St. Hilaire:

SineNomine:

At present, Verbum Now does not advertise these or other discounts, however having Verbum Now is allowing me to see these discounts. 

1. Is it intentional that Verbum Now members have access to these discounts?

2. Will Verbum Now members continue to have access to Logos Now discounts?

1. Yes. (We're not linking to the members-only page yet because the info about any resources automatically added to your library may not apply, and many of the featured discounts aren't things we're going to promote to a Catholic audience. We're hoping to create an equivalent page for Verbum Now on verbum.com soon, or come up with some other means of communicating this info.)

2. Generally, yes. (I'm keeping my options open in case some reason arises to keep a discount exclusive or distinct, but I can't really think of any.)

1. Great! I totally understand and agree with your reasoning, and I'm looking forward to that page.

2. Sounds good, and fair.

Posts 3945
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 3:52 AM

Phil et al., thank you for answering so many questions.

Unfortunately, I think you guys may have missed one of mine (from the bottom of the first page):

Will the special 5% Logos Now discount also apply to people with academic discounts?

Posts 4079
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 5:42 AM

Phil

Any chance of making videos in the media browser downloadable? Videos like the DaSilva series. Thanks

Posts 116
Dave Couch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 6:28 AM

How often will the Mobile Ed course cycle?

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 6:35 AM

Me thinks I'll wait for L8...I simply can't understand a word of this...maybe there should be some strategies that include the non-intelligencia

Posts 1483
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 7:04 AM

I want to thank all of the Logos staff who have been so patient, gracious, and earnest in their efforts to present and clarify the details of this new program and Faithlife's reason for creating it.  I have cringed when reading some of the rather accusative member posts in this thread (and others) regarding the program and have subsequently been amazed at the gentle and helpful responses by staff members.  But I've also appreciated the staff's responses to so many questions from members who are simply trying to get a handle on the new program.  It does seem to me that Faithlife has made an earnest attempt to come up with a program that can have a very broad range of appeal.  By it's very nature however, I think any such program can lead to a lot of confusion and misunderstanding when first presented.  I don't know if Faithlife adequately anticipated the number and range of questions members would have, but I think the staff has done a great job in fielding them all.

I'm not in full-time ministry, so as a lay-person, I acknowledge I don't have as much skin in the game as those who are.  My vocation is not affected by Faithlife's offerings, whether in terms of features or resources.  Even so, I've had the software since the Libronix days and have upgraded with each new release of Logos.  I currently have the Logos 6 Gold library and have purchased many additional resources that were not offered as part of a package.  Unlike some, I have not kept an account of what I've spent with Faithlife, but I expect it's in the $4K to $5K range--possibly (probably Wink)higher.  In the past, I have followed discussions regarding the Logos Cloud and the old Logos Now programs, but I found them of little interest/value for me.  But I am looking very seriously at the new Logos Now program.  I am not at all upset that the new program provides both new customers and existing customers with easier, less expensive options for obtaining features that in the past required me to purchase a Gold library or above.  Nor do I feel the new program harms me in any other way.  I'm glad I can continue with business as usual, making my purchase decisions regarding features and resources as I always have if I so choose.  But I'm also thankful for the new options made available.

I also want to thank all the non-staff forum members who have responded to so many of our questions.  As is so often the case, your contributions have added much value to the forum.     

Posts 11189
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 7:27 AM

Is ... exactly my thinking.  Of course I decided not to upgrade to Windows10, which will doom Logos6 to off-line.  That might have influenced my thinking.  I try hard to seem intelligent.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 710
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 7:31 AM

Is Mebin:

Me thinks I'll wait for L8...I simply can't understand a word of this...maybe there should be some strategies that include the non-intelligencia

There is a real danger in this that Logos should consider. This is getting really complicated to understand. I tried to explain it to my pastor yesterday to encourage him to a Logos Now membership, but it took 10 minutes of back-and-forth discussion to *try* to get him to understand what is going on. It's just not simple or easy to understand. That is going to be an ongoing problem which may actually dampen Logos sales. The scheme needs to be simplified.

Posts 28559
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 8:15 AM

JH:
The scheme needs to be simplified.

Have any suggestions? 

It really boils down to this:

• Do you want to pay more and own it <OR>
  • Do you want to pay less, rent it, while getting new features faster and having member benefits. 

The confusion comes when people want to know the intricacies. I remember my grandmother wanting a new TV. At least 4 family members took her "window" shopping but she was so overwhelmed she never got one. I am someone who likes all the details, but I made a mistake with her and should have told her to pick the one you think LOOKS good and you like the PRICE. I think this is probably a similar situation. There are quite a few details someone might want to consider, but in the end, it boils down to paying more and owning OR less and renting. 

To be honest, I am an "own" type person... but when it comes to Logos, I am more than willing to rent the features. I consider them "icing." The "meat" is the books, and those I want to own. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1483
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 8:52 AM

Is Mebin:

Don't feel alone.  By definition, the intelligencia is an elite intellectual group, and based on the questions and confusion evident in all the threads related to Logos Now, I suspect many of us have been feeling much like you.  I've learned that one thing I cannot do, is skim the posts and get much benefit from them.  For me, has become:  Read slowly; back up; re-read slowly; pause; ponder; re-read slowly.  Even then, it's been a bit of a challenge, but I think the fog is starting to clear.  In Alabama's post today at 10:15, I think he's drawn a good analogy of what's been going on here with his story of his grandmother shopping for a new TV.  I've been there and done that, so I couldn't help but chuckle when reading his post. 

Posts 3945
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 9:58 AM

Is Mebin:

This thread gets a lot less complicated if you ignore everything in it about Logos Now that wasn't written by a Faithlife employee.

This thread gets a lot more complicated for people who skim-read it, especially the parts written by Faithlife employees.

Posts 934
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 10:02 AM

Rick Ausdahl:
I want to thank all of the Logos staff who have been so patient, gracious, and earnest in their efforts to present and clarify the details of this new program and Faithlife's reason for creating it.  I have cringed when reading some of the rather accusative member posts in this thread (and others) regarding the program and have subsequently been amazed at the gentle and helpful responses by staff members.  But I've also appreciated the staff's responses to so many questions from members who are simply trying to get a handle on the new program.  It does seem to me that Faithlife has made an earnest attempt to come up with a program that can have a very broad range of appeal.  By it's very nature however, I think any such program can lead to a lot of confusion and misunderstanding when first presented.  I don't know if Faithlife adequately anticipated the number and range of questions members would have, but I think the staff has done a great job in fielding them all.

Well said, and thank you Faithlife. I do think putting out the information about Logos Now prior to the launch of Logos 7 was a good idea, and staff (and users) have been very helpful at answering questions. I myself had asked a question, and it turned out my answer was in the very screenshot I had asked about! So even when Faithlife puts out the information, it is still subject to being overlooked, misunderstood, and misinterpreted, which has got to be extremely frustrating for them.

Page 3 of 6 (111 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS