Advanced Search Training videos are on the way...

Page 2 of 4 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 72 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 10836
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 3:38 AM

MWW:
I find it amusing that Catholics are teaching Protestants how to better study their Bibles.

Big Smile This Baptist has been in since day one Stick out tongue.

Posts 300
Hapax Legomena | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 8:50 AM

I am looking forward to this.  My search skills have been stuck on "basic" since Logos 4.0.

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 10:14 AM

Do these videos support the L7 courses tool? Is there any other supplemental material to read or activities to do, in conjunction with the videos?

I am sure that I could benefit from all the knowledge shared in the video, but tend to learn better from Mobile Ed style of course that would require us to do additional reading and perform our own searches to answer specific questions asked by the activities.

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 1526
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 1:47 PM

PetahChristian:

Do these videos support the L7 courses tool? Is there any other supplemental material to read or activities to do, in conjunction with the videos?

I am sure that I could benefit from all the knowledge shared in the video, but tend to learn better from Mobile Ed style of course that would require us to do additional reading and perform our own searches to answer specific questions asked by the activities.

Up until now, Faithlife hasn't used the Mobile Ed style for software training videos. If they were to want to do so, I would be glad to provide the scripts and recommended readings and/or activities.

Regardless, we tried to include some activities in the videos like what you describe. At the end of close to half of the videos we present a "challenge", which consists in an advanced search the viewer is invited to solve on their own, that they should be able to do using the skills taught in that video (or in that section of the video series).

And, for those who would like readings, the way to do it would be accompanying each video with its respective section in the Search Help and Detailed Search Help on the wiki, and/or in the Advanced Searching section in the Logos or Verbum Help manual (just the Advanced Searching section of the manual is 30 pages long printed out!).

Most people would never read through all that otherwise, but by taking just the part that corresponds to each video, it should be quite simple, and by the end you'll have gone through pretty much everything, and the readings would complement the videos nicely. 

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 11:38 PM

Thanks Fr. Devin!

I will use the wiki and Logos Help to accompany your videos and try the challenges presented in the training.

It's interesting that Mobile Ed has an LT category but doesn't encourage trainers to provide the additional material that a course could bundle with the video training.

In general, there seems to be this huge gap between power users such as yourself and novices like me who are aware that the software can do far more, but haven't progressed beyond basic searching. I think both the search syntax and the search terminology can be intimidating, and there is a definite need for resources that can help us progress beyond the basics.

Thank you and Fr. Andrew for preparing these training videos. I look forward to learning and being blessed by what the software can truly help us accomplish as we spend time studying the Holy Bible. God bless you both!

Posts 37
Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 28 2016 7:42 AM

Fr Devin Roza:
They have been filmed for Logos & Verbum 7.1, and include the new search operator, INTERSECTS (which will be introduced in 7.1), as well as some other new search features introduced in v7.

To what extent would we need to have all the features and datasets from Logos 6 and 7? I only have some basic datasets from Logos 6, so will I find that I am unable to do many of the searches demonstrated in the videos?

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 28 2016 10:10 AM

Just for your information :

All three of these videos are included in Verbum Platinum and above;

Verbum Advanced Search Training

Verbum Advanced Academic Training

Verbum Advanced Homiletic Training

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1526
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 28 2016 3:07 PM

GailB:

I only have some basic datasets from Logos 6, so will I find that I am unable to do many of the searches demonstrated in the videos?

The basic search functionality is present in all v6 base packages, but there are a lot of more advanced searches that require reverse-interlinear Bibles or some more advanced datasets.

Supposing you have some reverse-interlinear Bibles, I'm guessing you should be able to follow along with around two-thirds of the demonstrated searches? If you don't have any reverse-interlinear Bibles, it would be considerably less, maybe half.

Posts 37
Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2016 10:29 AM

Fr Devin Roza:
Supposing you have some reverse-interlinear Bibles, I'm guessing you should be able to follow along with around two-thirds of the demonstrated searches?

Thanks. I do have some reverse-interlinears. :)

Posts 1011
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2016 6:17 AM

.... anxiously waiting ... sigh ...

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2016 7:24 AM

Looks great! I'm sure Devin and other contributors have done a fantastic job.

Too bad it is not simply made available for free to Logos users.

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2016 8:11 AM

Francis:

Too bad it is not simply made available for free to Logos users.

It's available in several Verbum base packages.

It's too bad that Verbum includes training videos (beyond Quickstart), but Logos doesn't.

Posts 1011
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 21 2016 7:48 AM

There is a small sample on the Verbum Blog this morning ...

https://blog.verbum.com/2016/10/the-power-of-searching-with-bible-data-types/

Looking forward to the rest.

Smile

Posts 9629
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 22 2016 7:14 AM

Steve:

There is a small sample on the Verbum Blog this morning ...

https://blog.verbum.com/2016/10/the-power-of-searching-with-bible-data-types/

Looking forward to the rest.

Thanks for sharing. I have never subscribed to the Verbum blog so I would have missed this. But I just subscribed now!

I really like how they present the material and think that this will be a fabulous resource.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3166
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 16 2016 4:47 PM

Any word as to whether all is go for today still?Confused

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 9629
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 16 2016 6:32 PM

Beloved:

Any word as to whether all is go for today still?Confused

It's in my library now. Smile Looking forward to working through it.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 313
Mike McKnelly | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2016 4:53 PM

Fr Roza, is it possible to get some Written notes along with each video. It would save us a lot of time, and help us remember search strings. Also I was surprised That we can't view your videos Faithlife TV, thank you so much for all your hard work on this project.

Posts 1011
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2016 5:03 PM

Mike McKnelly:

... I was surprised That we can't view your videos Faithlife TV ...

hmmm ... you are right.  I thought I saw them there but I was mistaken.  The Verbum 360 appears but not this video.

Confused

Posts 655
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2016 5:34 PM

Mike McKnelly:

Fr Roza, is it possible to get some Written notes along with each video. It would save us a lot of time, and help us remember search strings. Also I was surprised That we can't view your videos Faithlife TV, thank you so much for all your hard work on this project.

I would go along with this suggestion as well. My only complaint is the sound volume. I have my laptop speakers turned completely up and while it is above a whisper, I would not say that it is at a normal conversational level. I can live with it as it is, but it would be nicer to have more volume.

Thanks for the in-depth searching hints and tips!

Posts 1452
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2016 7:05 PM

Mike McKnelly:

I too, quite honestly, must say that I was disappointed that there's no notes or written text on this product. I do  concede that written transcript may be overkill and not necessary, but, at the very least, some charts or guides, or written summaries of each video would have been really nice ! 

As such, I surely hope that someone will take another look at this product and consider adding a written component to these videos. It would be very nice and very much appreciated. 

Thank you for the time invested in producing these videos. I think they are going to be very helpful to many people  

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Page 2 of 4 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS