Downgraded?

Page 1 of 3 (46 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 45 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 13 2016 4:20 PM

i have over 3200.00 invested in Logos Verbum.

when I have been offered an good " library upgrade " that met my needs, I  so.

when I called in for logos 7 upgrade, I was told I now have bronze.

I have been told I had many libraries but never before told I have just above entry level.

I think " Master " ( or something like that ) was my last library upgrade - around 500.00 .

At any rate, I bought the full set of tools ( not much there) but notice I'm now downgraded to Bronze and thus any upgrade calculator is based on that and just duplicates much of what I already have- or so it seems.

I guess I would say, for me- logos upgrades are one of  the most frustrating , confusing software / resource issues I know of.

Any clarity offered will be appreciated.

thanks

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 4:22 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
so it seems.

but its not what is true. 

dynamic pricing ensures you don't pay for what you own so disregard that "downgrading" logic. 

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 4:44 PM

Thank you James:

sadly though, I have gone from a mid level or,

upper mid level library to basic.

if I look at the upgrades minus what I have, 

im paying for the upgrade but getting far less resources 

than someone else paying the same amount

but that has fewer resources.

sorry if this is jumbled, page keeps jumping around, can't see what I'm typing- grin, not that it would help much.

Thanks again for the info.

blessings.

Posts 932
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 5:36 PM

You have Bronze L7, but you still have Masters' (L4?). You still have all of your books, and one of the reasons you get fewer books is because you already own some, which lowers your price accordingly. You are definitely not getting fewer books than someone else paying the same amount. You still have all of the features you had before, plus some. It is not a downgrade in any way.

Posts 2766
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 6:48 PM

I have observed with the Logos 7 packages, there are a lot less resources that are the same as in Logos 6. I think this is one reason for the increased cost to upgrade (unless you already own a lot of the new resources).

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 6:58 PM

Must be a problem with either the upgrade calculater

or browser interaction with it.

At this point it seems  a better deal if I was

a new customer than an old one.

Im going to try from different computer/ browser.

3200.00 as new customer shouldn't buy better 

library/ tools than old customer.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 6:59 PM

Good point Erin.

I will check that , might be it.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 7:01 PM

For grins plus learn a bit about Logos 7 dynamic pricing effects with Logos Now & Verbum Now membership, decided to purchase a starter Logos 7 Library (without feature set) that had 96 % dynamic pricing discount:

After purchasing Methodist & Wesleyan Starter and using "update resources" command, library count increased by 4 that was consistent with "New to You" resources on M & W Starter product page. Dynamic pricing for larger M & W Libraries changed:

Net effect is a M & W Platinum upgrade after M & W Starter "downgrade" library expansion is effectively $ 0.02 more than a M & W Platinum upgrade. Thankful for two cents of learning a bit.  Logos About still shows my largest Logos 6 Library purchase.

Personally dreaming of Suggestion: "Gem" superset of Base Packages for a much larger library expansion (one cart purchase) plus praying for God's calling in my life.

By the way, web site search shows your dynamic price for Logos 7 and Verbum Libraries (not yet purchased):

https://www.logos.com/products/search?Status=Live&Product+Type=Base+Packages&unlocked=no&start=&sort=pricehi&pageSize=60

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

I think " Master " ( or something like that ) was my last library upgrade - around 500.00 .

Verbum Library names were changed to be consistent with other denominations. Thankful for Fr Devin Roza's reply => https://community.logos.com/forums/p/129397/841044.aspx#841044 that includes:

Fr Devin Roza:

Platinum - Think v6 Master, with some nice additions. This level is a big upgrade for serious academic study of theology or Scripture. Almost all of Benedict / Ratzinger's works, Search Training videos, Nestle-Aland Greek NT 28th edition, textual criticism commentaries, Theological Dictionary of the NT, Theological Lexicon of the NT and of the OT, Dictionary of Classical Hebrew. BDAG. Lewis and Short's Latin Dictionary. 

Diamond - Think v6 Capstone. Navarre Bible Commentary, Balthasar's and Peter Kreeft's books, JPS Commentary. Commentary from the Talmud and Hebraica, Raymond Brown's works, UBS Commentary series, A broad selection of serious academic studies of the NT and OT, Christian Origins and the Question of God Series, Journal of Biblical Literature, Letter and Spirit, Lots more Church Fathers, Works of Aristotle and Plato. 

Portfolio - It covers in a very complete way all the most important works and authors of 2000 years of Church history, plus ancient Jewish thought, plus philosophy. Entire CUA Fathers of the Church Series, Classics of Medieval Spirituality, Classics of Modern Spirituality, Black's NT Commentary, Lexham Bible Guides, Bablyonian Talmud, Jewish Encyclopedia, Jewish Law, large collection of philosophical works. Easily the best library Verbum has offered. 

Hope that helps. Again, just a first impression looking them over.

I agree with MJ that in general the biggest improvement to the packages compared to v6 is the Church Father's coverage, and to that I would add: the big improvements in Starter, the lower price with which you can get all the features using Now, and the addition of the Portfolio level. 

Verbum "Master" became Verbum Platinum

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 7:06 PM

I still don't understand why I used to be listed as

having a mid level plan , which I upgraded 

a couple times and now I'm showing an entry level 

plan.

I have never gone to car lot to " trade up" and 

come away with a lesser car.

if I die and my wife wants to sell  my library, it's not worth much as Bronze.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 7:10 PM

Then why do I not show to have Verbum Plat.?

instead it shows bronze.

secondly, I'm not getting anything like " fantastic " upgrades for little money.

going to change computer/ browser.

thanks

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 7:18 PM

I am correct, checked it even with iPhone.

signed in.

upgrade to silver ( where I started years ago if

memory serves, over 400.00 my price.

So, I look at what I will get- it's what I already have.

I have more than that of course, but what's 

there, I mostly have and its shows " what I will get now".

something is wrong with upgrade calculator- Logis should be informed.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 7:36 PM

For whatever help it might be to Logos- the calculator

is much more accurate in Verbum and specific library 

packages such as Anglican etc.

still there remains duplication of resources in 

the " new to you " listings.

However, accuracy better than generic libraries.

hope this helps.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 7:48 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
if I die and my wife wants to sell  my library, it's not worth much as Bronze

One option is will designation for library transfer (perhaps to a student chosen by the Dean at a school). If selling, suggest listing library resource contents (e.g. Bibliographic report) that shows library has substantially more content than Verbum Bronze (in an appropriate place, not the Logos forums).

For About display of library contents, I created thread => Bug: Verbum 7 About ? for Faithlife development.

FYI: Logos 6 Collector's Edition describes a substantial albeit minority part of my library content.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 8:12 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

still there remains duplication of resources in the " new to you " listings.

Please illustrate duplication.

Personally found Verbum Portfolio (on logos.com) shows 326 "new" resources for me:

The "New to You" shows individual resources

and partially owned collections:

Expanding "Fathers of the Church: Fathers of the Ante-Nicene Era (23 Vols)" shows my dynamic price for eight "New to You" resources, which are not in my library. Series:"Fathers of the Church" has the owned resources.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 8:34 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

when I called in for logos 7 upgrade, I was told I now have bronze

Fr Matheny, when you open your Verbum library and look in the upper right corner, click on the little "help" symbol (an encircled question mark).  A little menu will pop up.  select, at the bottom, the "about" selection.  Notice at the top it'll give you a brief profile overview for you.  Note mine:

You can see on the "licensed to" section it lists Portfolio for me.  I bought that back during Logos 4 days.  I have bought several other packages from other traditions (including Verbum Scholars) but that is my highest.  My suspicion is that you will find your "Masters" package listed there, if that was the highest.

I am not at all clear why the rep would have said you were "bronze."  I would call them back and ask them.  Maybe he was just recommending bronze to you, unless you bought Verbum 7 Bronze.  That doesn't take away from the fact that you have Masters.  For me, though I have "Standard Portfolio" as my "highest" package, I still just am up to the "Gold" level for L7.  They reconfigure the packages each time that they release a new major edition of the software.  I gained some pretty nice sets and other books in Gold Standard that I did not own, even with Portfolio from earlier editions.  If I were to purchase Verbum Bronze now, I could get it for 157 dollars, about 55 resources that I don't already own (although for a new purchaser, they'd get many more resources new in Bronze, because they don't have a library already--and they'd pay wayyy more)

So, in short, you are NOT "bronze" unless you just purchased Verbum 7 Bronze, but it does not negate that you ALSO have Master's, and that was your largest library. (I can't remember, was Master's above Scholars?)

Hope this brings a little clarification or peace. 

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 8:43 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Personally found Verbum Portfolio (on logos.com) shows 326 "new" resources for me:

I like your price better than mine . . .

Keep smiling . . . Smile

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 269
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 7:12 AM

I think the previous replies brought some clarity.  Personally, I have struggled with this issue too - everyone who is passionate about Logos likes the idea of being listed as having one of the higher packages. However, when I honestly take a look at my library, it really doesn't matter what I am classified as. I have all of the resources I have purchased. Many of the best resources I use everyday aren't in any base package. When Logos 7 came out everything in me wanted to upgrade to the highest package, but I actually upgraded to Silver and used the rest of the money to purchase two incredible resources that were on sale but not included in any package. I use those resources every single week to great benefit. Logos needs to rework their packages with every iteration of the software for many reasons - some of which involve marketing and sales. I understand that. I have determined to "be content with what I have", be grateful the Lord has provided it, and make additional purchases that truly add value to my library rather than just status.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 8:03 AM

Quick thanks to all.
My frustrations/concerns are not resolved and, as usual, just don't have the time to invest  today, but wanted to thank all for their kindness.

FWIW- Im not mistaken, the upgrades are very confusing and the upgrade calculator is inconsistent- see three pages of thread in that area.
We went through similar with 6 and 5.

Probably a mistake on my part as "early adopter" instead of waiting as I just don't have the time during Logos business hours to sort things out.

Still having issues with the software itself and tools but, nothing I can do during business hours at this time and- Thats not Logos fault.

I appreciate all the help, did clear up a couple areas, other areas will just have to wait .

I don't know how to close the thread out, delete, if someone does or, can, please advise of feel free, I got what I needed which was clarity .

Thanks.

Posts 1082
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 8:29 AM

It might be a bit clunky, but I wonder if this could be solved if instead of listing the highest base package for the current generation of Logos, FaithLife showed the highest base package purchased for each major revision number (e.g., Logos 5 Scholar's, Logos 6 Platinum, Logos 7 Silver).  It would make absolutely no difference in what we owned, but might help avoid the loss in "sense of ownership" folks feel.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 10:12 AM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
FWIW- Im not mistaken, the upgrades are very confusing and the upgrade calculator is inconsistent- see three pages of thread in that area.
We went through similar with 6 and 5.

+1 Yes about Version 7 upgrade confusion, which included Feature Set(s).  For me,  Logos Now & Verbum Now membership is better than purchasing feature set.  Also concur with "New to You" confusion for comparative prices, which has been improved.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 3 (46 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS